Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

Mini Update

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YW Stealth.

FWIW, I wasn't suggesting that he has to start his hands higher, just to keep them (or get them) nearer the top of the strike zone, if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman View Post
      YW Stealth.

FWIW, I wasn't suggesting that he has to start his hands higher, just to keep them (or get them) nearer the top of the strike zone, if possible.

Great side by side - it's ok for most pitchers he will see, but the high fastball will be a problem. We will work on it.

Comment

Thanks. Like I said, I see a lot of lefties who LIKE the low/away pitch and drive it w/ authority oppo. I know Kevin likes the up pitch and he hits that one well (when he can get around on it .)

Comment

At contact it looks ok, but goes backwards a little bit afterwords.
          Once Mini gets to a point he is completely off his backside,
          Recoil after contact is o.k.,,,(just my thought)

Last edited by Lclifton; 01-15-2007, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by swingbuster View Post
            When his hips are opening his barrel is going back now. THat is good. BHUT or tipping usually assures the over lap and he has it now. Heel drop and barrel reversing

Let me offer you a thought about the lower body.

If you DO move you COM and center or pressure of the lead foot; when your hips turn fully the back foot nearly has to drag. You cannot keep the same spread of your feet as your hips turn as a rule.

tell him to stride AND MAINTAIN AND GET THE HINGE ANGLE TO RELEASE OUT FRONT and he will shift IMO. You should see his back foot slide some
            Donny asked me to post this (so I quoted his last message w/ it):

Comment

Thanks for the clips - I will show mini after school.

Comment

When you look at Olerud, notice he already has the front shoulder lowered at the beginning of the clip.

As With Sandman's son, you need to get the front shoulder down early and you need the hand/back arm lift to demand a good lower body positive move/carry to get off the back side.

Then some good rubber band winding into toe touch...

Then all the weight going to the front foot with drop and tilt, etc

Comment

Here is a game clip from last weekend's tournament. Mini had a solid weekend with this homerun, a double and 7 RBI's in 4 games.

Swingbuster - this was an opposite field bomb off a pretty good/fast pitcher that went about 250ft in the air, by far the farthest ball he has ever hit.

I am coaching third - notice how I just turned my head in time to see it!

Comment

Great work Stealth!!!

Also good job finding a camera-man while you man 3B.

Comment

Sweet !!!!

Comment

A good view of the running start.

Barrel rearward as the hips turn forward.....both part of the running start.....energy gets built up and stored in the torso......shoulders hold it back.......then POW as he says "go" a few frames later.

Nice hit. Nice weekend. I like the view also.

IMO, the better he learns to store it, and "control the store", the more sudden his launch becomes, which allows more read time, the better he hits.

Nice job both of you.

Comment

great clip Stealth!!!! Is the swing path the result of a high pitch? My best hitters are also "horizontal". I think I'll wait another year to try to "improve" them. I've been looking...I have not seen a good 12U or younger game clip with a high finish yet. Is the horizonatl v. diagonal swing something you worry about now? How did the team do?

Comment

troy99 - I think what you see is based on mini for some reason just after contact "going backwards" - I think as he gets stronger he will finish more forward and in a higher position.

The team went 2-2 in the USSSA Super NIT 12U AAA division. We were two outs a way from going 3-0 in pool play and getting the #1 seed. There were 18 teams in the Major Division and 12 in the AAA Division. The Long Beach Blaze won the Major Division - a very good and EXPERIENCED team. This was our first tournament, by the end of the season we will play in some Major events.

Comment

At least make your wife get up and go over to the 3b side to get the HR clips!!

then she could blow you a kiss!
                              The HANDS and the HIPS DRIVE the Swing! The SHOULDERS are along for the ride.

Comment

Stealth,
                                One thing I notice is the weight shift in this clip appears to be much improved.

The stride foot moves out in a way that has the "cleats showing to the pitcher". I like what he is doing with his stride foot / knee. A LOT.
                                His movement seems much more solid indicating Mini has become more comfortable with the movements.

One more thing, although this ball appeared to get in on him a little --he was prepared---because he was prepared --no sign of "rushing"---he was able to drive it out to left.

Great job. I'm happy for him.

Comment

Working...
                                X