Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

Mini Update

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stealth,
    I am happy for your son.
    Great job and congratulations to a hard working young man.
    Sincerely.

Comment

Stealth...I just had a chance to watch. Man...he is looking good!!! I'll give half credit to you and half to him and ALL the credit to his Momma for giving him some athletic genes!!! Way to go MOM!
      The HANDS and the HIPS DRIVE the Swing! The SHOULDERS are along for the ride.

Comment

Thanks Builder!

Momma could play as well. Softball and Volleyball!

His confidence is sky high right now. He is on everything and hitting really well. The vertical bat and "running start" have made a world of difference. As Gem says when he is ready on time it's all good!

Comment

One more tournament to go. The Triple Crown World Series in Steamboat Springs, Colorado from July 24 - 29th. Our pool games are against the Fort Collins Cardinals, Oregon Select and The Utah Horns.

Our team ended the regular season with a 30-22-2 record. We won 3 of the last 4 tournaments and are playing the best baseball of the season. Mini has done well and is looking forward to the trip. I will give everyone an update when we return.

If anyone wants specifics send me a PM.

Comment

Well we are back from the World Series. Our team was outmatched this past week as we finished 1-5. If we played our best maybe we could have ended up 2-5 or 3-5 but against some of these teams that get players from all over their state we could not compete. Mini did well (4-12) with his hits coming against the better pitching with no strikeouts. I have to go through the video to see if I can post anything. Thanks for all the feedback and the information here that helped this season!

Mini is going to play fall ball - moving up to 54/80 which I am looking forward to. It's time to start seeing who can play on the bigger diamond!

Comment

I missed mini's bomb on Saturday. This was a triple down the line Sunday. He is making significant progress - much of it has to do with getting stronger.

Last edited by Stealth; 10-09-2007, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Oh wow. No doubt better. Better. Better.
                The thing that catches my eye is the way the bat responds after contact,,compared to before it is really better.
                Overall swing plane is nice, before the hands wanted to finish near his lead hip. Boy, I like it.
                Did I say I think it's better.

Nice job.
                Last edited by Lclifton; 10-09-2007, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lclifton View Post
                  Oh wow. No doubt better. Better. Better.
                  The thing that catches my eye is the way the bat responds after contact,,compared to before it is really better.
                  Overall swing plane is nice, before the hands wanted to finish near his lead hip. Boy, I like it.
                  Did I say I think it's better.

Nice job.

Loren - thanks. One of the first things I noticed was the swing plane. I think because he is stronger he is able to stay on plane where as before the bat would finish lower as you noted in your post.

One thing he does is crowd the plate, especially against the pitchers he can handle. I told him today I want him to start inching his way back a bit from the plate. I would rather him be a little more square (straight ahead) with his approach. This is something we can work on in the off season. He has one more tournament for the fall season.

Comment

Stealth this looks great. In honor of your reminding me of Dmac's simple advice, I went back and looked at some clips, and wondered where we got off track. Mini does this very well, and I think I'll show this to the boys.

Comment

I think the point about strong hands and arms and torquing the handle and hands and hips is that it is only by emphasizing the hand action that you can load the body well then get the momentum to turn the dang bat instead of overturning the hips and torso and spinning.

He is doing great job getting the momentum to turn the bat and it will imporve as his upper body gets stronger and he focusses on hands and hips, not torso or shoulder turn.

He should feel the front leg and hips opening with the running start as the shoulders stay tilted down in front and the weight continues forward as he starts to untip, then the handle torque/immediate launch and spend should be the result of the "GO" and drive the whole body.

Comment

Well said.

Counter-intuitive I guess.... but.....the proper hand action allows everything else to work properly.

Comment

Yep, get those hands right and get the hips right and everything else conforms rather nicely. Its easy to see passion and brings big smiles to see young players work for something. Great job!
                          The HANDS and the HIPS DRIVE the Swing! The SHOULDERS are along for the ride.

Comment

If you look at this clip from a few months back look at the front leg. We have been working on hitting against a firm front side and keeping that front leg (look at the front foot & knee) solid through rotation. I am going to post a clip in a week or two as we are making significant progress here. The swing is much quicker and more powerful. The foot has been a little easier to address than the knee but I think strength is playing a part of it. Mini has been using a wood bat in practice 31/27 (he turns 13 the end of January) and is learning that it pays to hit the ball on the sweet spot rather than the handle. The swing is getting better and I think you will see the frame count going down.

Comment

Todays workout - sorry for the large file. Mini is growing a bit. 5'7'' and 122 pounds. He turns 13 this Friday.

Comment

Another one. We are working on keeping that front leg from opening up too much. A good pitcher could work him away a bit, but the kid is working at it!

Last edited by Stealth; 01-21-2008, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X