Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

Mini Update

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini Update

Here is a clip from yeserday.

We are still working on getting him off his backside - I think part of it is a strength issue. I like everything up until contact - from there he goes backwords slightly.

He is syncing the tip and rip much better than before and hitting really well. It will be interesting when we go outside as a team in the next few weeks to see how it translates on the field.

How many frames to contact do you see?

Last edited by Stealth; 01-01-2007, 09:36 PM.

Compare his barrel action/direction compared to when the hips open to these guys.

Using solid footplant I would count 4.5 frames.

Comment

He is staying on the back foot and throwing his top hand at the ball. THe lead arm has no leverage to turn the barrel BHT with no front leg supporting it.

Look at Chipper side view and see how much weight is on his back leg as it hinges

I know the back elbow can be up or down but usually the barrel loading until the weight shifts yields a higher back elbow

TEE out front..barrel loaded vertical during shift....I would press the issue until he got to the front side with the barrel too vertical.....ain't going to happen but I would try

Compare his barrel action/direction compared to when the hips open to these guys.
      Look at Williams lead leg function....now cut it off and see what happens to the sequence. Look at the lead leg and how it levers the pronation / BHT side of the barrel rotation
      Last edited by swingbuster; 12-31-2006, 06:04 PM.

Comment

He must learn to seperate with the body and not with the arms/ shoulders. The movement forward must create seperation from the hands. He currently creates seperation by using the arms.
        The HANDS and the HIPS DRIVE the Swing! The SHOULDERS are along for the ride.

Comment

Stealth, When he strides, he just steps out with his right leg, and his head does not move. Get him to stride out and let his head go along with the stride. Once the front foot comes down, he then should keep his head steady. By keeping his head still while he is stepping forward, he is not getting off the back side. If you watch most of the side views of the big leaguers, their head will go right along with their stride and then firm up when the front foot comes down. Bonds is the only guy I can think of who keeps his head in the same spot from stride to contact.
          Most players will have their head go back a little as they load and then forward a little as they stride and then the head is nice and steady when the foot comes down.
          Mini's head does not go back as he loads and then as he strides, it starts going back as he approaches impact......this never lets him get from his left side over to his right side and add more oomph. I am putting up a clip of the Babe. He started from a narrow stance and it let his momentum cruise on forward and made it easy to get off the back side. His head went right along with his stride.

http://dmcmillan.topcities.com/br8.mpg

Comment

Dmac - if I can get him to do that I would think that would take care of the point swingbuilder makes about separating with movement forward rather than using his arms.

Is there anything else at this point I should work on guys?

The season is coming up and I want to at some point "leave him alone" and let him hit if you know what I mean. Maybe a few tweaks here and there.

Comment

Just one thing at a time would be my recommendation. Sometimes if you fix something and do a good job of it, some other problems go away. He is 11, so you will be working with him a lot in the now and future.

Comment

Stealth,
                I think that your son, with your help will figure this getting off the backside figured out.

This clip in this thread is closer than the last one to doing that.
                This clip from a little while back was close as well.

With too big of a stride, there is a fear of lunging. (at least for us)
                Look at frames 31 and 32 in the clip Dmac posted of Babe Ruth who took, IMO, a huge stride.
                Look at the clip just before/ at toe touch---Does it look like he strides at an angle?
                Meaning does it look like his upper body is still behind (slightly) the lower body?
                What give it that appearance without the cue to stay back? (hip coil)
                Originally posted by Dmac
                Sometimes if you fix something and do a good job of it, some other problems go away.
                Which the focus for Mini is to get off the backside.
                Back to the Babe Ruth clip.
                In frame 31 and 32 (and others) his belt line is tucked and his knee is pointed in.
                His two-eye contact on the pitcher, is in tact and he is doing it by looking over the "point" of his lead shoulder,
                so the shoulder is down and in.

There is no big (A-rod) leg kick but there is a tuck of the belt line, he has his front knee in, during the entire stride.
                When he lands the front foot does land more open (ask Tom about the exact timing)

Mini can do this very easily and I believe that what it will fix is getting him off the backside and
                the hands being moved by the arms.----Here's why:

If the hands go back by virtue of the arms (builder) there is no need to stride, move out, get off the back side---because in their mind (I think) they "feel" loaded.
                If you subtley move the weight from the front to the back side (Tom G)
                Turn the front knee in, which will coil the hips (buster)
                Then move out, then the 2nd engine (Richard) has the possibility of kicking in with the most RPM's behind it.

Stealth, I'm not, but if I were in front of your boy right now
                I would have him hold his hands in that beautiful vertical bat position and move out with them there. He will cock them as he strides because he does it now---very well---just needs to move out more and coiled.
                Have him pick up his front foot, and show the spikes (at least partially) to the pitcher
                (they won't get all the way to that position, but have him try anyway).
                This will tuck the belt line and coil the hips, and you may see front shoulder go down and in.
                Then have him stride out, way out at first. Film his very first attempt.
                Watch what happens with the bat---his shoulders, hands, REAR FOOT ...
                Bat will stay off plane and when front foot lands or gets near toe touch, he will transition it to
                on plane without a thought because of:----
                Your and his, already solid approach with his swing.
                You guys will be posting a clip with him off the backside very soon.

How does Mauer do it with such a short stride compared to Babe Ruth?
                Last edited by Lclifton; 12-31-2006, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Lclifton - I appreciate your time and effort in replying to both threads. I hope to get some more video tomorrow.

Comment

top hand is key to loading to use the front side the way you need to/the way buster and loren and others describe.

Comment

Here is a view requested by Stealth to help Mini see the forward momentum of Olerud.

A great view of a "stride" versus a "carry".

Comment

Richard, That is a great clip of Olerud and shows his momentum gliding forward very well and it makes it easy for him to get off his backside.

Comment

I did it, but Stealth requested it, so he must have known something.

Good call Stealth.

Comment

Richard - thanks, I appreciate it. I will report back later.

Comment

top hand and front foot are "related".

how do they differ in olerud ?

Comment

Working...
                              X