Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

Mini Update

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stealth Yeager describes a Push-Block-Push sequence, where the front leg not only accepts weight and blocks forward movement, but actually pushes against the ground a bit, to complete rotation, which would indicate a very firm position of the lead leg at contact. Not sure about landing closed in the PCR sense, but like to see a slight opening of the foot. However he might have been opening it way too far.... I am not sure.

Comment

I think the firm front side is a sign of good rubber band winding which requires both the upper body handotrque/keeping the hands back AND the well timed weight shift so things are firmed up right and you can stretch and fire.

Donny has pointed out how the weight shift is more about this firm/up/load than direct conversion of linear to rotational momentum.

Most kids just flop the front foot open with nothing like an mlb pattern, just setting up to pull the hands and bat through.

This is where it's important to understand cause and effect better or you can do things like eliminating the running start by forcing the front foot to labd totaly closed or inhibiting front knee flare,etc.

Comment

Here is a recent game clip - check out the field. The new Big League Dreams Park in Manteca, Ca. That's the Green Monster in left field. This hit was roped to right for a triple. The catcher has the skull cap and mask like the pro's - he was very solid behind the plate for a 12 year old.

Comment

I can see mini is working hard. He has a knack for hitting. Some natural stuff there. Keep at it.

Is that turf that new stuff you see on football fields? Looks to me like the brown (dirt) is the same stuff as the green (grass). Just a different color. Is that accurate?

And what is the stadium in the distance?

Nice field. Fun to play on "high rent" fields. We got to play on the River City Rascals new minor league park a few years ago. Immaculate. Fun and made you feel like you're big dogging it.

Keep at it guys. Your future is going to have a lot of great times in it.

Comment

It is the new style turf in the infield - different colors for the "dirt" and "grass." The outfield is real grass. There are 6 different fields at this location with stadium seats for the fans and a restauraunt (with beer) for the adults. The dimensions are approx. 320 down the lines and 375 to center. In a recent game one of our opponents (12 year old) one hopped the center field fence................unbelievable at this age.

Mini has a tournament this weekend against the top 12U teams in our area. It should be a big test for him and our team.

Comment

How big of a bat is he using? For some reason that thing looks tiny in his hands. Nice rip!
              Originally posted by HiddenGem
              Mark H, is a retard..plain and simple. He doesn't know the first thing about swinging a bat, and his video analyisis is pathetic at best. God help the poor souls that take any advice from that clown.

Comment

30 / 21.5 Exo

It's about all he can handle for now. Come August when he moves up to the bigger field (54/80) he will start using something a little bigger. He will need to start the transition to the -3 for high school which is a few years down the road. But at 50 ft. some of the pitchers hit 70mph and mini would struggle with anything heavier.

This size bat is petty common among your avearge 12 year old in our area.

Comment

Last weekend my 11YO (5' 95 lbs) used a teammate's brother's bat then told me about it after the game. I couldn't tell from where I was sitting. It was a 32/29 bat and he didn't appear to swing it any differently than his normal bat which is also 30/21.5. He grounded a single up the middle with it.

So I went out and bought him a 30/27 Easton Hammer for $50 and in his game last night he hit the top of the fence on one bounce in CF, hit a foot from the top of the fence in the LCF, grounded a single thru the middle and hit a one hopper over the bag at 1st base. He bats left handed so he certainly didn't have any problems getting the bat around. Pitch speed was around the upper 40's to low 50's.

When I was his age in 1972, aluminum bats just came out and were made to the same dimensions as wood bats. They didn't have any of these -12, -9 etc. weight drops. And there were plenty of kids that could hit using 30/28 bats at 11. I've thought for the last couple of years that the light weight bats do more harm than good. A 9 or 10 year old can have success swinging with all arms. I'd rather have my son figure out how to get a -3 bat around than get by using all arms. I'm figuring that it will pay off when it comes to high school.

Comment

Originally posted by Stealth
                    I'd rather have my son figure out how to get a -3 bat around than get by using all arms. I'm figuring that it will pay off when it comes to high school.
                    I agree with this Stealth.
                    Also, it seems like he's growing taller.

I like the swing. He looks like he is ready to hit and (I'm sorta stuck on this right now) he is loaded on time.

I have more comments, am studying the video a little more.

Comment

Originally Posted by Stealth
                      I'd rather have my son figure out how to get a -3 bat around than get by using all arms. I'm figuring that it will pay off when it comes to high school.
                      Lclifton - quote above was from Shep

It's always a fine line on the weight of a bat, but I agree with Shep to a certain degree.

He is growing tall. Almost 5'4" but still only weighs 100 pounds.

Comment

Hey Stealth I bought my sons the Anderson Techzillas. My 10 year old (just turned 10 so plays as 9) is much bigger at the same age as my older son and he is swinging a 30-21. Too heavy? Not sure he is about 5'0"-5'1" and close to 80 pounds. I don't know that he has hit all that well yet in games but bouncing one into the fence against daddy's BP felt good. I think his marginal (.300) success in games is more mental and nervousness than anything. He has a limited feel for what I am trying to show him, and sometimes takes basic instruction too literal.

My 12, is 5'-2"-5'3" I think maybe 110-115, a little more stout I suppose and he swings the 31-22. His big barrel Voodoo is 31-23.5. We haven't done any travel since Spring started so th Voodoo is mostly for whiffles before games right now.

In any case now I think is the time to start thinking heavy.

Comment

It's one of those things where you have to be there to understand I think. With the pitching mini is facing I don't see him being able to use a heavier bat. Out of the 11 kids on our team only one uses a 31 inch bat. We don't have big kids in comparison to the teams we play. One of the kids we will play this weekend uses a -3 but he is 5'10 and 185 pounds. The travel ball here in NoCal is very good. I am amazed each weekend at how good some of these kids are.

With that said after this season is over (end of July) I will be getting a bigger/heavier bat for him to practice with. I believe when the pitchers go back 4 ft. it will allow him to start swinging the bigger lumber. One of my friends who coaches 13U travel mentions that they make the kids transition to a -5 bat by the end of their season - that would be this time next year for mini.

When I was 13 I used a 32 - 27, that's all there was. And I was small and skinny!

I think I will get a couple of cheaper bats to see what he can handle before we break down for the $300 bats.

It's hard to know exactly what to do.............

Comment

My son has that same bat. Anderson -5 I got off a guy that his kid couldnt get it around. Very nice bat. My son is 12 aroute 5'5" and 130lbs. He is somewhat big for his age. This season he hasn't been checked at the tournaments.

I like what NY did. They went to wood bats. I hope it comes down here also. Then will go to the Half / Half bat.

Mike

Originally posted by Pronk View Post
                            Hey Stealth I bought my sons the Anderson Techzillas. My 10 year old (just turned 10 so plays as 9) is much bigger at the same age as my older son and he is swinging a 30-21. Too heavy? Not sure he is about 5'0"-5'1" and close to 80 pounds. I don't know that he has hit all that well yet in games but bouncing one into the fence against daddy's BP felt good. I think his marginal (.300) success in games is more mental and nervousness than anything. He has a limited feel for what I am trying to show him, and sometimes takes basic instruction too literal.

My 12, is 5'-2"-5'3" I think maybe 110-115, a little more stout I suppose and he swings the 31-22. His big barrel Voodoo is 31-23.5. We haven't done any travel since Spring started so th Voodoo is mostly for whiffles before games right now.

In any case now I think is the time to start thinking heavy.

Comment

Check out the link for the MVP - a proud dad!

http://www.usssa.com/sports/Tourname...amentID=346894

8-13 this weekend. We lost 2 on Saturday and won 3 games today to win the championship! Anyone who wants to argue about the tip n rip won't win one against me. Thank you to Dmac - your simple words mean so much. I can't thank you enough!

Comment

Great Job!!! Way to go.

Comment

Working...
                                X