Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

Mini Update

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teacherman View Post
    You're all over the place.

Have you done what I asked you to do? Can I get an answer. The answer to all your questions lie in that demonstration. Will you do it?

Setting the barrel in the neck slot has little to nothing to do with the scap pinch/clamp. I put hitters there initially because it offers a better hand to body position to turn the barrel.

Even if they set it there....they still need to pull back JUST THE SCAP.
    I'll do anything on the quest to figure this stuff out.. I think you've seen in the past I'm not afraid to try stuff and video it for that matter.. I'm just not understanding only using the scap I guess??

If I shrug my shoulders I'm using my scap, If I pull my shoulders back I'm using my scap, If I roll my shoulders forward I'm using my scap.. Do use more of my shoulder to pull back?
    Last edited by LITHTHUNDER; 09-18-2013, 04:59 PM.

Comment

• I know I'm getting ahead of the game here.. since I need to figure the other stuff out. Just to be clear.. Ryan has not launched rearward until the end of this frame correct? And his elbow is slotting prior to the all-in turn?

Last edited by LITHTHUNDER; 09-18-2013, 05:12 PM.

Comment

• Clip time. You aren't going to get it by watching video.

Make me a clip of you doing the exercise.

I would almost bet you are not fusing your torso into a unit by way of pullbacks and general tension....such that IT....and ONLY IT....pivots about the ball of the femur.

Strap your arms down with a velcro strap. Set the ball on a tee at a height your 'armless body' can still hit the ball.

DRIVE THE BALL.

Tell me what you did.

Comment

• The bottom line is.....you are weak in your middle.

Not weak from a strength point of view.

But very weak from a USAGE point of view.

You rely on your arms.

Comment

• Originally posted by LITHTHUNDER View Post
            I know I'm getting ahead of the game here.. since I need to figure the other stuff out. Just to be clear.. Ryan has not launched rearward until the end of this frame correct? And his elbow is slotting prior to the all-in turn?

That is not elbow slotting.

Will you do the exercise?

Comment

NOPE.

When you pull back to punch the scap moves but the action is predominantly an arm action. Your arm is pushing your scap back.

AND.....when you unload the arm the scap goes with it....when you punch.

When you pull back with the scap....pinch JUST IT to the spine....that is a very different action. The arm action you intend is next to nothing....no push forward....the scap can remain pinched as you turn the barrel.

I can and do....pull my scap back with little to no arm movement. THAT is the proper action.
              This is an incredibly important point.

Watch Craig below. His hand set gets raised to just above the rear shoulder, then appears to throw the bat over his back. This is all scap action. No arms or hands are involved. He is actively fusing the the upper torso by engaging his scapula into the spine. When the bat goes rearward, he does so with his back while the scap is locked in place, preserving the fused relationship. He will hold it up to the very millisecond of the swing when the decision is made to launch. This is what Tewks mistakenly ascribes to as an arm action in getting the hands inside the hitting arc.

Last edited by Al Oha; 09-18-2013, 08:08 PM.

Comment

• This is what Tewks ascribes to as an arm action in getting the hands inside the hitting arc.
                But.......he teaches it with the arms.....not the scap action.

Comment

Clip time. You aren't going to get it by watching video.

Make me a clip of you doing the exercise.

I would almost bet you are not fusing your torso into a unit by way of pullbacks and general tension....such that IT....and ONLY IT....pivots about the ball of the femur.

Strap your arms down with a velcro strap. Set the ball on a tee at a height your 'armless body' can still hit the ball.

DRIVE THE BALL.

Tell me what you did.
                  Ok, I will certainly do it tonight.. just for clarification. Arms strapped down to my sides crossed (right hand on left shoulder/left hand on right shoulder)?

Comment

• Get in your stance.....have someone strap the upper arms to your sides. If you're a rear elbow up guy....you'll need to do it from a rear elbow down position because of the straps.

Comment

• He will hold it up to the very millisecond of the swing when the decision is made to launch.
                      Plus some.

The launch is over before the scap is lost.

The first two frames of barrel turn TIGHTEN the scap/spine junction.

Comment

• A side view with no pause....to see how it all comes together.

Once again....the biggest cause of analysis mistakes....is slow motion video.....or paused video....without verification from real time video.

Comment

• Originally posted by LITHTHUNDER View Post
                          I know I'm getting ahead of the game here.. since I need to figure the other stuff out. Just to be clear.. Ryan has not launched rearward until the end of this frame correct? And his elbow is slotting prior to the all-in turn?

If you could see how much his top hand is working here you would be amazed. When I put balls on a tee and watch him swing the turn of the barrel with the top hand is undeniable. The barrel is moving trust me.
                          "Tip it and rip it" - In Memory of Dmac
                          "Hit the inside seam" - In Memory of Swingbuster

Comment

Get in your stance.....have someone strap the upper arms to your sides. If you're a rear elbow up guy....you'll need to do it from a rear elbow down position because of the straps.
                            Ok Teach, here is my attempt at this.. let me know, hopefully I did it as you requested..

Comment

• What did your scap do?

Comment

What did your scap do?
                                pulled back against my leg

Comment

Working...
                                X