Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

Mini Update

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stealth View Post
    If you could see how much his top hand is working here you would be amazed. When I put balls on a tee and watch him swing the turn of the barrel with the top hand is undeniable. The barrel is moving trust me.
    I will definitely take your word for it Stealth!! Is it maybe that video capture delays that? So the elbow is tied to the all-in turn - gotcha.

Comment

• I believe your lower back pulled back.....I don't believe your scap did it's work.

The barrel is unloaded with the 'sweep' of the arms....powered by hip/leg energy that is exiting your torso at the waist....it is not exiting from the turn of the forearms....against a pulled back scap.

I did not say you weren't turning the barrel. I said you are turning it with sweeping arms.....powered from energy that never got to the scap.

Therefore.....when the scap/spine junction is loose.....energy from the leg escapes.....disperses....through the torso. It never DIRECTLY turns the barrel.

That can only be done with a barrel turn from a scap/spine junction that has the spine turning into the scap....which is resisting that turn.

It's as if the body is trying to fold....bend....at the scap/spine junction....due to the leg working against the pull backs. I don't know if you've seen/heard my bent sheet metal analysis or not. ??

Comment

• Try it again lilthunder. This time, put a little more effort into it will ya????????!!!!!! Just kidding lil, welcome back!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Allistair View Post
          Try it again lilthunder. This time, put a little more effort into it will ya????????!!!!!! Just kidding lil, welcome back!!!!
          Dang it Allistair!! I'll get this right one day!! How ya been?

Comment

• I realize my arms are not strapped down in this demo.....but....I don't see the movement shown above in your demo.....and I should.

The arms have nothing to do with what I'm doing. Notice....my arms are not moving much at all....independently. The upper arm does lower....but that happens AS I turn the barrel with my hands. That is an effect....not an independent action.

If you can imagine this torsion spring....

....in my demo....with the lower 'lever' getting tightened by my hip/leg....and the upper lever getting tightend by the scap pull back into the spine.....with each end turning against the other.....the spring then coils....twists.....tightens.....and then suddenly uncoils at launch.

If the upper lever (scap/spine) is not engaged....the spring won't coil much at all....just a bit at the hip/leg. The only way to get the legs energy directly into the barrel turn....is for the upper lever (scap/spine) to be engaged so the energy from the leg turns THERE....not lower at the waist or below.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teacherman View Post
              I believe your lower back pulled back.....I don't believe your scap did it's work.

The barrel is unloaded with the 'sweep' of the arms....powered by hip/leg energy that is exiting your torso at the waist....it is not exiting from the turn of the forearms....against a pulled back scap.

I did not say you weren't turning the barrel. I said you are turning it with sweeping arms.....powered from energy that never got to the scap.

Therefore.....when the scap/spine junction is loose.....energy from the leg escapes.....disperses....through the torso. It never DIRECTLY turns the barrel.

That can only be done with a barrel turn from a scap/spine junction that has the spine turning into the scap....which is resisting that turn.

It's as if the body is trying to fold....bend....at the scap/spine junction....due to the leg working against the pull backs. I don't know if you've seen/heard my bent sheet metal analysis or not. ??
              Dang, I guess I'm not getting this scap thing?? How do you describe how it feels when you use only your scap? Is there something you can relate it to doing in real life, if that makes sense?

Ok, I'm glad you said you didn't say I wasn't turning the barrel.. because if it's one thing I've learned - it was to turn the barrel.

Comment

I realize my arms are not strapped down in this demo.....but....I don't see the movement shown above in your demo.....and I should.

The arms have nothing to do with what I'm doing. Notice....my arms are not moving much at all....independently. The upper arm does lower....but that happens AS I turn the barrel with my hands. That is an effect....not an independent action.
                Ok, have to go pick up my son.. I'll be back and look at this further - thank for the visual, hopefully this will help!!

Comment

• Another important point is....only the scap pull back....will allow this hip socket action....

That hip has to work over/back/behind the ball of the femur. As it would if you arched your back. Like this....

And you can't do that or this....

....without that hip socket action.

Comment

Have either of you done this yet?
                    What is your answer?
                    Been at practice for the last 4 hours... Assignment is complete working on uploading video.

Comment

• BTW....for those interested in the truth.....the reason Tewks had trouble getting the elbow through....and as a result could not keep a corner.....that he admitted to....and still admits to.....is what we're discussing right here.

When your torsion spring is tight at both the top and the bottom.....the elbow automatically clears....your corner is kept.

When you go off on extra man made arm action....to try to get the elbow through....that would automatically get through if you worked your scap correctly....you will never have a corner....and you've gone off the deep end.

What would Colabello do with a torsion spring created corner?

Comment

• [QUOTE=Teacherman;83691]

Oh, Oh, Oh... the scap pullback isn't a pullback as in scap get pushed behind you - which is what I thought, hence the elbow reference back behind you.. it is the retracting/adducting of the scap into the spine.. At least I hope I'm saying that right??

Comment

• Originally posted by jryan15 View Post
                          Been at practice for the last 4 hours... Assignment is complete working on uploading video.
                          Crap, did the wrong assignment... I did this one

Get into your stance.
                          Hands at armpit.
                          Hold your rear upper arm parallel to the ground.
                          Pull your rear scap into your spine. JUST YOUR SCAP. Arm might move back.
                          Keep the weight back.
                          Hold it.
                          Move out
                          Fight the move out.

What happens?
                          In all honestly, I struggled a little with what you meant by move out though, so I started IR'ing my leg.

Rich,

Thanks for commenting about Tewks... I was really feeling like I should find my way back to the short buss. It's comforting to know that someone as knowledgeable as Tewks struggled with this. I am even more encouraged to continue the fight to learn. Hope I don't slow everyone down too much.

Comment

• Ok.....thank your for posting a clip. You did the exercise I asked for.

The last 3 or so were pretty good. The exercise was to get you to see what your rear elbow does as you just do what was outlined.

And sure enough....it lowered....giving the 'slotting' look.....once you got the leg IR going on....by simply constantly....and continually....pulling back with the scap....as you move out....as your leg begins to turn your forward.

That pull back action causes you to go 'over the cliff'.....'over the back of the ball of the femur'.....as you move out.

It causes this....

Make sure the only movement is in the hip socket.

Good job.

Now....if you pull back and also 'click back'....(remember the clip showing ministealth's click back)....which means a quick sudden little extra coil of the hip around the leg....which immediately turns forward.....AND YOU CONTINUALLY PULL BACK WITH THE SCAP AND BACK.....you will start to get the good stretch and begin to look like ministealth.

Comment

• Originally posted by LITHTHUNDER View Post
                              Dang, I guess I'm not getting this scap thing?? How do you describe how it feels when you use only your scap? Is there something you can relate it to doing in real life, if that makes sense?
                              Put your hands to your sides and keep them there. Have both scapulae meet at the middle to "kiss": No hands, no arms. This is called scapular adduction because of the contraction of the rhomboid muscles.

When the medial aspect of either scapula meets the spine, two tectonic plates meet. The "bend in the sheet metal" Teach alludes to is the way the Himalayas were formed in creating Mount Everest: In SnF the rear scapula loads to jam the spine and hold throughout launch. It only gets released and unloads for the extension OPPO, following the launch rearward when the swing is spent and done with.
                              Last edited by Al Oha; 09-18-2013, 10:37 PM.

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X