Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

Brandon's Journey Continues

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wait you don't need to get tied up first???
    Maybe righthanded?
    The HANDS and the HIPS DRIVE the Swing! The SHOULDERS are along for the ride.

Comment

• Great Job!! This is getting 'to regular'...

Matt

Comment

• New video later today.

Brandon hit a bases loaded triple last night in a league championship game. It drove in the tying and go ahead runs from which we eventually won.

My purpose for posting today is his growth in "hitting" as compared to "swinging". We faced a good pitcher last night....not extremely over powering but quick with good stuff and an excellent changeup/curve.

HE told me....and the teammates....to look curve and adjust for the fastball. That is not usually the advice people give. But....it IS the advice Don Straught used to become a .300 hitter in the big leagues. Don has mentioned several times that he would pull the offspeed stuff and take the fastball oppo. Brandon has so much confidence in his swing right now that he was going to pull the changeup/curve and drive it...and take the fastball to left (oppo).....and that is exactly what he did on the triple into left field on a 3-2 pitch.

I'm not recommending that approach for everyone....although I think it should be considered.

I am, however, greatly pleased that Brandon has advanced from swinging to hitting and is "thinking" his own game.....not relying on me/others much anymore.

Growth.....that just a short time ago....and over a very long period of time.....I/we wondered if it would ever happen.

Our trial and error process has been lengthy. We have had more reasons to quit than to continue.....much more failure than success.....but then again......what else did we have to do? And the success he's having now is a huge reward for his hard work.

In 1989 I started my business. I worked 16 hours a day (11a-3a everyday), 7 days a week, for 2.5 years. Read that again and think about it. It was very stressful....little revenue at the time....couldn't afford to pay help.....so......it's was up to me. Well....long story short.....eventually things moved along and now I'm in my 19th year.

Point?......I continued on......just like Brandon has done......and just like many of you will need to do......whether it's in your hitting journey or your life.......when there is no reason to continue.

THAT and that alone is the guarantee.....because most will quit.

And the spoils are left for those still trying.

Comment

• and Richard, you don't let your ego get in the way.

that is a real accomplishment.

Comment

• Trying something different. I'm showing the entire at bat sequence so I've made it into a wmv.

He fell behind 0-2, then received 3 straight rise balls up and out of the zone....that he successfully laid off......then a great swing but slightly late for a foul ball....and then the triple.

The triple swing is not the best swing of his life. However, it is if you consider what Epstein says, and Tom keeps repeating......the best swing is "the adjustment you make".

Brandon's mechanics allow him a large zone from which he can square the ball. He takes this low and away pitch and hits it exactly where it should be hit. The 3B had no play on this liner that landed just on the grass and rolled into the left field corner.

IF your lead elbow is up in the swing plane, being tugged on by the lead shoulder, PCR style, to power the swing through shoulder rotation.......you simply can not hit this ball in a competitive situation. Meaning in a game. Off the tee you can do anything. In a game, with a pitcher trying to get you out, it is a much different environment and requires a much different technique.

Brandon's At Bat Sequence

Comment

• Next weekend Brad, Brandon and I are traveling to Mankato Minnesota for the 23U ASA National Men's Fastpitch Tournament. These guys got 5th in the nation last year.

I have been asked to coach/manage the team. Which means doing stuff I really don't like (reservations, van rental, registration forms, fund raising, countless questions etc etc)....however, I'm doing it because the person that did it in the past was one of the players, a good player (pitcher, catcher, infielder, good hitter) and the "politics" of who plays, where they play, and the batting order bogged him down.

So, he's asked me to do it.

So.....here are the facts.

We have 7 VERY good players. 3 good players. And 2 others. We lost our best pitcher to age (he's 24) and the remaining pitchers are 2nd and 3rd year pitchers which means our pitching will be average at best.....and we know we will face much better than what we can offer from the 2 or 3 "favorites" out of the 14 teams.

We have the best hitting lineup, by far, so it's the 70's Cincinnatti Reds (us) v the 70's Dodgers (them)

Our defense is above average. My son Brad is the best centerfielder I've ever seen in person in fastpitch softball. Incredible speed, above average arm, no fear, makes incredible plays and although not mechanically sound yet at the plate, is a very good offensive player. The right fielder and left fielder are very good players with GREAT arms. If the right fielder dedicated himself to the game, he, IMO, would be the best player of all of them hands down. An incredible arm and a very good hitter with mucho power. The leftfielder is a good player, good tools, new to fastpitch.

Our 3B is the guy I mentioned last year about, when I'm catching, and he comes up to bat, it is one of the scariest deals I've ever been involved in. He hit a HR against us last night. Believe me.....I would pay to "listen" to him take bp. A tremendous power hitter. No pitch or speed he can't drive out of the park. I would call him average in the field. Maybe above average....but if so...not much

2B is a great speedy lead off hitter but speed is not his only game. The kid can hit. The SS is probably the best hitter on the team, average wise, reputation wise, and deserved. And he has good gap power. 1B is Brandon.

I already mentioned the catcher above. Defensively I'd rate him as good......however, this 52 year old writer still has better skills....and with less arm, my throw gets to 2B first. In other words, he's young and athletic, but needs work on his technique. I believe I could help him drop a few .1's off his pop time if we could work together. He blocks balls well.

Making a lineup out of this group is troubling. Someone has to bat last.

It will be a challenge to get the reserves in the game, although, the C, 3B, and SS are also our pitchers (Brad is our 4th pitcher....he's new to pitching this year.....won't get many innings unless we're getting blown up). One of the reserves will get significant time....one will get some time....the final player......it's a stretch.

The core of this group want me to coach to win......so......I get to take the heat from those players not playing....not the former coach. We have had a couple of practices and have a practice today, and a Poker Tournament fund raiser tomorrow, at which time I will announce the starting lineup, and advise the reserves of their role.....before they go.....so they know up front.

I have Brad batting second in the lineup and Brandon 7th.

2B
              CF - Brad
              SS
              3B
              RF
              C
              1B - Brandon
              LF
              P

Brandon has had the best season of any of the players. His performance deserves better than 7th place. He, with his HR Thursday night, that they are now saying went 320', is the talk of the league. However, the others have more experience. Brandon hits clean up for our team.....but the others have handled those responsibilities for more years/atbats than Brandon has. He is 2-3 years younger than the experienced guys.

Any advice?

The fastpitch game is SOOOOO pitching dominant that it will be intersting to see how this plays out. Our pitching is average at best. Our best pitcher from last year misses the birthday cutoff date by 5 days. Bummer.

P.S. My biggest challenge?.....figuring out how to get video while coaching 3B. lol.

Comment

• you might try to look up Dick Anthony and pick his brain.

clif might know how to get a hold of him.
                or marc dagenais.

Comment

• I have never even watched a men's fast pitch game. My sister played D-1 and was always away (military) from home so I never saw her play however since then I have watched some high level girls games. Never have seen the guys.

Comment

• We haven't worked out for a long time. Been even longer since we've been to this facility. Took a couple of weeks off after the season ended.

He was outstanding today.

The new language..."snapping off the pole" was introduced to him today. He "got it" pretty quick. He can really accelerate the barrel rearward.

His biggest challenge is his balance as he pulls the lead leg in from the open stance. He can lose it a little and get to leaning over the plate too much. This hides the hands and forces a "yank" with the shoulders. It's probably from trying to hit the crap out of the ball.

But, when he simply "snaps the pole" he is impressive.

Comment

• I kind of like this "snap the pole". Those hands look alive.

Comment

• Sorry about the camera angle. I set the camera THEN he entered the batters box.

Working on the low ball.

Comment

• I just had a conversation with Loren about what Brandon is doing and how it all kind of suddenly came together.

I can not stress too much what has happened.

It is quite simply handle torque. Snap off the pole.

It is not handle torque within his "old swing".

It is not load the hips then load the scaps, then load the hands...then torque the handle.

It is not get the bat moving somehow then torque the handle.

It is simply "torque the handle as the very first AND ONLY THING you do".

Let me define torque the handle........it might better be said.......torque the forearms.....fire the forearms.....whip the forearms......or cusp the forearms......since they really turn the hands.

Approach the "stuck" vault door handle that is reallly going to need some torque to turn.....as if you are a weight lifter. Put your hands on the handle. Squeeze it a little. Lighten up a little. Flop your elbows around to find the right grip and torque angle.....Psych your self up.....tell the body what you're about to do......you're about to turn that handle very aggressively......get ready.....the body preps........SNAP THAT HANDLE.....CUSP THAT HANDLE.

Your body did not raise the lead elbow into the swing plane. Your shoulders did not rotate. There was no "early, long lasting" connection. It happened instantaneously. And then was gone. There was no tension throughout the arms and shoulder complex. There was no closed front leg/knee.

Your body prepped itself and instantaneously you turned the handle. The body had a goal. It executed the goal. ON ITS OWN. The hips opened on their own....a little early......you didn't open them first. Nor did you consciously keep them closed before "go". The body got it's own momentum, you didn't consciously develop it then turn the handle. The hands applied torque immediately and the body cusped immediately, at the same time......it was a sudden, instantaneous, powerful move.

I'm telling you folks, find the handset that requires no prior movement before snapping off the pole.......I believe this will be "out over the plate some".......then snap off the pole.........without letting the hands go forward. Swing the bat as if the hands are also holding onto something that doesn't let em move. That resistance is critcal to snapping the pole.

Comment

• Getting off backside better,too !!!

(focussing on handle torque, not other things as Richard says)

Comment

• Those swings are very good.
                              College season coming !

Comment

• Today.

Comment

Working...
                                X