Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

Brandon's Journey Continues

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brandon's Journey Continues

Brandon is home from college for Christmas. We bought the "Holiday Package" meaning he gets unlimited use of the facility though mid January. So, expect some clips from us over the next few weeks.

When he was home for Thanksgiving, we were disappointed in his workout. He had pretty much lost "the swivel" that he had learned prior to then.

So, I think I got him back on track although there is more to do.

We added some loading today....hip coil, lowered front shoulder, and barrel load........dmac's tip n rip.

While his consistency suffered, the "sound" when he got it all together is undeniable. This is something he needs to work on until it becomes "him". We have a month to make it his. So that he can compete for the 3B spot on his college team. He is 3rd on the depth chart at the moment. IF he hits, they will make moves to get his bat in the lineup. IF he doesn't get it by then, he'll remain third............and we'll keep working. We're too stupid to stop.

He wants to "cut off" the swivel when he tips. He wants to tip, and then trust the hands forward instead of launching by continuing the swivel....energizing the swivel. He got it toward the end....but the timing of the hip coil and barrel load need improvement.

http://www.hittingillustrated.com/Br...ndn122006a.mpghttp://www.hittingillustrated.com/Br...ndn122006b.mpghttp://www.hittingillustrated.com/Br...ndn122006c.mpg

I think he rushes the load a little.....needs more kaaaaaaaaaaaapow instead of kaaaapow.

We'll get there by Jan 15

A Lot to like here,,,
    I don't see better hip rotation do I?
    Quite a bit to like here.
    Gotta run now, but will be back with more.

Comment

From looking at the Juan Gonzales clips, and listening to Donny talk about Yaeger's -28 hip coil, I am wondering if Brandon could also use a little negative hip coil to help the load? One thing at a time of course, make sure you are comfortable with the swivel but it looks like you guys are getting there.

I was looking at the Marquis Grissom clip you recently posted, and there is a guy who put up some power numbers for a little guy. If you can energize the tip and rip like he does...

Comment

Looking good. Tough to tell, but I want to believe he is using the arms some to create leverage.
        The HANDS and the HIPS DRIVE the Swing! The SHOULDERS are along for the ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Pronk View Post
          ...I am wondering if Brandon could also use a little negative hip coil to help the load? One thing at a time of course...
          Good comments. Funny thing is, he thought he was coiling the hips, just like he was sure his barrel was tipping to almost horizontal, in front of him, until he saw the video and realized it felt "bigger" than it was. His small hip coil felt bigger to him than it was.

I haven't been through all the raw video yet. I will look for some clips of the exaggerated moves that we had to back off because the timing of everything fell apart. Baby steps....

Swingbuilder. Your "knee through" drill, or whatever you called it, was real helpful also. Again, he exaggerated it to where he couldn't keep things together but, when we stopped doing it, the weight shift was greatly improved.

Thanks

BTW, the reason I posted both the gif clips and the embedded clips is to show the difference in "speed" of each. Gif always play in slow motion. That makes it difficult to really understand some of the important points. The embedded clips are mpg's and when you play them it's closer to real time. In each case, the clip on top is the same as the clip below. Playing the embedded clips you can see a better cusp than you can in the gifs.

Comment

Originally posted by swingbuilder View Post
            Looking good. Tough to tell, but I want to believe he is using the arms some to create leverage.
            Builder,

Explain what you mean, please. Using the arms for leverage? Meaning....it's a good thing or bad?

I was stressing for him to resist shoulder turn and use the leverage that creates to turn the barrel with forearm rotation, triangle rotation etc etc....to swivel the hands.

What do you mean by using the arms for leverage?

Comment

Flat

Richard

If you look at what's happening somewhere around click 32-33-34 in the last clip, I think there are some things there worth considering.

During that phase, I think we see MLB hitters with the bat far flatter - far more parallel to the ground, kind of forming a T-shape with the shoulder line.

It's my opinion from trial and error that getting the swivel to that more parallel position creates a lot of power.

The barrel has rotated more for a better start.

The swivel is more inside the eventual hand route. It's easier to hit the ball in front of the chest, easier to rotate the triangle in front of the body.

The key is make sure the motion and shape is creating the swivel - not dropping the barrel below the hands and dipping it way inside. You don't want to wrap it around the kidneys, but I think you might want to get more parallel to the ground with closed shoulders.

Cut_Three
              Last edited by Cut_Three; 12-20-2006, 07:18 PM. Reason: dropped word

Comment

Teach, sorry. Its tough to see/ know since there isn't a side view. Check it with some if you have them. I meant that it looks like he is creating length/ leverage(a bad thing) by using his arms to take his hands back. However, I could be just seeing things without a side view. I can't tell how much he is transfering against his frontside with his middle. So I'm guessing.
                The HANDS and the HIPS DRIVE the Swing! The SHOULDERS are along for the ride.

Comment

Stick with the tipping action......he will find a comfort zone with it. Work on pulling the ball in some clips so that we can see that action too. If he pulls about 8-10 balls over the fence, the coach will like him. IMO, the tip works better with a stride involved too....work them together as a unit.......loading at the same time.

Comment

Techerman - I don't think he is rushing I think it's more of his timing being off (late). It makes it appear as though he is rushing..........does that make sense?

He looks more relaxed and not so stiff from previous clips. I would like for him to consider adding the stride back. I think that would get his lower body going. See the clip of Babe Ruth with his feet together - he has to move his lower body - he has no choice. Wide stance, no stride you better be strong as an ox!

Much better than before!

Comment

Thanks for all the comments.

For several years we searching for a swing. Try this...try that...change this...change that. We could always tell something was missing.

Now, we believe we've found a swing. A swing that we can tell is "coming to us" as opposed to "evading us". A swing that can be improved upon......obviously......but the changes now are in loading the swing as compared to searching for the swing itself. I hope that makes some sense. If it doesn't it will soon to the guys who are new and searching.

I have a weird question. He will hit no stride in the cage alot (BTW, I was throwing to him...we weren't using the machine) but almost invariably the stride appears in a game. Anyone else seen that happen?

It's almost like the stride just happens....not part of his thought process at all. What does this mean?

Comment

Teacherman I have to run out, but on your comment regarding the gif's is it it just the delay built into the gif when it the animation is built?

My defaut rate when I build a gif, results in slow motion but in playing around you can sometimes speed it up a little. Sometime over the weekend I'll experiment and see if this is true.

Comment

All I know is every gif I've ever made is slow motion. If there is a setting I can change to fix that let me know.

Comment

Teach,

I have a weird question. He will hit no stride in the cage alot (BTW, I was throwing to him...we weren't using the machine) but almost invariably the stride appears in a game. Anyone else seen that happen?

IMO you practice like you play, and you play like you practice. I would have him act like every pitch is game pitch. That video would show you maybe more.

About the .gif speeds. Some programs you can set it to use the file timming or it can be set to default speed. Check the settings.

Mike

Comment

I would experiment with dropping the hands and tilting the front shoulder down more along with taking a stride and showing the back pocket more as he tips.

Comment

Working...
                              X