Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

Brandon's Journey Continues

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our latest workout. He went back to college today.

Comment

• I love the deep contact... Really good looking swings. Have they had tryouts already?

Comment

• I've always wondered this about many big posters on the net, especially you teacherman (please anyone answer this question too)...

Do your families know what you do/ who you are (your presence) on the internet?

Do you tell your family?

Rich, when you teach your son, do you tell him about the battles ect?
        Do they read this stuff?

Just curious...
        "Turning is for nascar." - Cosmo34
        "Think big or you will be small."
        "You can't think and hit at the same time." - Yogi Berra

Comment

• They know all that I know.

I don't know if they read or not.

They know ILoveMeMore is clueless. They know ILoveMe is completely wrong.

They know Go Cardinals is wasting time by not getting started and producing clips on a regular basis.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teacherman View Post
            They know all that I know.

I don't know if they read or not.

They know ILoveMeMore is clueless. They know ILoveMe is completely wrong.

They know Go Cardinals is wasting time by not getting started and producing clips on a regular basis.
            haven't had time recently w/ basketball and school work... I will now though...

Comment

Todays workout.

Hey Richard,

Haven't come here much but I think I will a lot more now. Just wanted to ask you something about Brandon:

How do you feel about his back foot staying on the ground throughout?

Comment

• Well....I am torn between what is REAL and what is cosmetic.

I agree that many many mlb players get completely off the rear toe. I agree that many get at least onto the toe. I agree that that is an indicator of good momentum transfer.

However...

...this guy has had some success.

More Bonds

Then there is this guy...

...he hits 'em pretty far.

So......when Brandon hit this ball the farthest a ball has ever been hit in this particular park...

I begin to question what is REAL and what is cosmetic.

I don't have the answer at this time. We get excited about his rear foot coming up in workouts. Mainly because we get tired of everyone pointing it out......when we see no correlation between his rear foot and his power.

I think he is pretty good with his pattern. And getting better. I think he's using muscles in ways he hasn't used them before. I think he will get better at "driving" his pattern. And when he does I think we'll see a different rear foot.

But.....then again....there is Bonds and Thome.

P.S. I also spent 5 years listening to internet gurus telling me to watch this and watch that.....do this and do that.....without them ever seeing the ball flight. I took their word as gospel......and it set us back several years.....working on things that pleased their eye but didn't increase results.

What do you think?

Comment

• Don't forget about Glaus...

http://www.hittingillustrated.com/fo...read.php?t=168

He sometimes gets off... Brandon's lower body reminds me of this:

http://imagesource.art.com/images/-/...C10105712.jpeg

Comment

Well....I am torn between what is REAL and what is cosmetic.

So......when Brandon hit this ball the farthest a ball has ever been hit in this particular park...

I begin to question what is REAL and what is cosmetic.

I don't have the answer at this time. We get excited about his rear foot coming up in workouts. Mainly because we get tired of everyone pointing it out......when we see no correlation between his rear foot and his power.

I think he is pretty good with his pattern. And getting better. I think he's using muscles in ways he hasn't used them before. I think he will get better at "driving" his pattern. And when he does I think we'll see a different rear foot.

But.....then again....there is Bonds and Thome.

P.S. I also spent 5 years listening to internet gurus telling me to watch this and watch that.....do this and do that.....without them ever seeing the ball flight. I took their word as gospel......and it set us back several years.....working on things that pleased their eye but didn't increase results.

What do you think?
                    How did I know I was going to see the clips of Bonds and Thome?

I know what you are saying and I don't have the answer either. I was just seeing what you thought. You and I both know that the majority of the power hitters in the big leagues do this in the majority of their swings, but there are exceptions.

I think we would agree that Bonds is in the conversation for the greatest hitter of all-time (steroids aside). There is so much to learn from what he does.

I just feel that so many others, especially the ones without the ability and strength of Bonds (which is basically everyone else in the world) bring their back foot off the ground. I love looking at clips of Will Clark (still working on posting clips here on my Mac computer) and his foot comes way off the ground.

People can always say, with regards to Bonds or Thome or any other power hitter, "well, he's athletic and strong and he can get away with some things," but where do you draw the line on what to teach and what to ignore? What can guys like that "get away with?" Not sure if I know the answer and personally I never like to hear a coach say, "well, those guys are great athletes and they can get away with it" (which I heard last year ).

Sorry for the rant. Kind of got off topic. If he hits well with it with power, no problem.

In the clip of his homer, I can't totally see his back foot in touch with the ground, but it looks like it came off. Did it?

Comment

• It came off the ground but it didn't roll up to the toe. It kind of slid a little.

And that is the normal reaction of his rear foot.....to date.....in games.

We see it go to the toe more often in workouts.

BTW.....I'm not ready to buy that Bonds and Thome can get by with that type of rear foot action "because they are so strong".

Comment

• Comment

BTW.....I'm not ready to buy that Bonds and Thome can get by with that type of rear foot action "because they are so strong".
                          Sorry, I should of clarified more. When I said that, it was not in reference to their rear foot action, but I do agree with you. Again, I don't know the answer.

Comment

Thanks.

For a guy who probably only curled beer cans and bow n' arrows, he sure could hit, and with good power.

I love looking at Will because of the fact that he looked so weak yet was able to create such power. Was it because of his back foot? I don't know. But in this era of steroids, I think there is a lot to learn here from a guy who clearly did not use them.

Comment

• I still think a little wider stride and you will see what your looking for in the lower half.

! other thing I did notice and wonder what your thoughts are, look at Brandons top shoulder as he is making contact and look at some more of the pros, it seems as if they have the shoulder turned open more pullign up where as Brandon almost seems to be resisting? Am I just seeing things or do you see what I am talking about?

Cally

Comment

• Brandon brought a teammate home for a day. So......we hit.

And the teammate...

Sorry for the glare. A full house today so we couldn't be picky on what cage we got.

Good news....Brandon was able to self diagose his early inconsistency in this workout. He needed a better coil/uncoil. A better overlap...to keep the lead shoulder "in there" as the hips opened. Without the "movement" or "rhythm....trying to keep the shoulder "in there" from a dead start was next to impossible....it forced him to push himself out of the zone.

Once he got better separation from the coil/uncoil move....things fell into place.

Comment

Working...
                                X