Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

M.Erwin Progress

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you sir!

Comment

Matt here is something Richard wrote that might be of interest to you. Keep up the great work.

Teacherman

Default Use The Corner To Unload

Establishing the corner, and stretching around the corner are critical elements of the swing. But they are worthless unless you learn how to use the corner to launch the swing. Most amateur hitters do not use stretch to create a release of their swing. Instead, they use brute force to swing the bat. In other words, when they load, they are simply looking for more distance over which to 'move back' or 'coil', so they have a larger range of motion to 'move forward' or 'uncoil'. The more distance they create the more speed they reach. The problem with that is they never get up to speed until they are far out front. This creates all kinds of problems when facing quality pitching.

What professional hitters do is different. They learn to create stretch and then release the stretch, making their swing sudden and compact. They do this by using the corner to unload. Or, said differently, they unload from behind the corner, not in front of it. Amateurs turn to align with the ball first, and in so doing bleed their corner, then they swing. Professionals stretch around the corner, maintain that stretch until 'go', then unload from behind the corner and allow the unload itself to turn them into the ball.

They do that by turning the barrel rearward.

If you get stretched around the corner, and then push the bat forward to swing, you have given up the benefit of the stretch that you created. To push the bat forward you must first know where to push it. You first must know where you expect contact to be made. So, you first must turn to align with the ball, and in the process lose your corner, and lose the stretch that you created, then push forward to swing to the expected contact point. That is what amateurs do.

Professional hitters establish a corner, stretch around the corner, and then unload the barrel rearward. The weight and direction of the barrel launched rearward INCREASES the stretch. The barrel continues rearward until it reaches roughly horizontal at which time the point of no return is reached. The stretch increases as the barrel arcs rearward but at/near horizonal the stretch is suddenly lost. The rearward resistance that the speed and direction the barrel was offering, helping the hip and lower back and scap stretch against the rear leg, is suddenly overcome by the rear leg. When the bat gets flat/horizontal the resistance goes to zero and everything is suddenly yanked forward and directed into the ball.

By sending the barrel rearward the hitter 'used the corner to unload'. He didn't bleed the corner then swing. He unloaded around behind the corner, allowed the barrel to continue into a rearward arc. When it reaches horizontal the corner yanks the barrel forward. He used the stretch around the corner to power his swing.

No brute force swing can match the power of the the high level 'corner produced' swing. But most importantly, no brute force swing can get up to speed as quickly nor have the late adjustability which is so important as you advance.

Establish the corner, stretch around the corner, then use the corner to launch the swing. A whip develops that produces the suddenness of launch that only the greats achieve.

Watch these clips and look for the above.

Last edited by Mike; 07-13-2018, 07:20 AM.

Comment

You think that i am not unloading behind the corner, Mike?

Comment

It looks that way to me Matt, If I'm off target maybe one of the others can jump aboard and help out. Coach Soriano mentioned hitting off the tee deep on the outside across from the rear hip. This has helped my players with getting a fused torso and hitting behind the corner. When is the clinic with Richard?
          Last edited by Mike; 07-13-2018, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Comment

Okay thank you for the feedback, Mike! I will address the issue and do some deep tee work to fix it!

The clinic is August 6, 7, and 8th! Right before my freshman year of juco ball.
              Last edited by matthewerwin00; 07-13-2018, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Just a little off really really close. Look at this one and feel it. Does it feel like the leg is pulling-leading? When I feel yours I feel like even , no stretch, or upper body slightly ahead. Your doing amazing stuff with your swing, keep it up.

Last edited by Mike; 07-13-2018, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Looks like I’m lacking depth again. Could it be a back issue?

Comment

you go forward and turn the barrel rearward . Kemp goes backward and turns the barrel rearward

Comment

Got it! Front shoulder works back and up. Would that be a useful cue for the issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Teacherman View Post
                        I see in Builders kids....and in many of the SnF drill swings.....that the stretch is bled....hip and shoulders turn forward.....THEN the hands torque the handle. That torque is too late....out front. The barrel is not sent rearward.

Why do they do that?

One reason is their mental image of where contact should be.

But another reason is they don't know what direction the swing should be launched.

All of those that bled their stretch....swing toward the pitcher.

The pro's swings are launched toward the plate.

There is good reason why the SnF drill is such that the rear foot is pointed toward the pitcher.....and that the swing is swung parallel to that foot.

Because that is how the big boys do it. Parallel to the outside edge of the rear foot may not be exactly correct.....but it is much closer to what they do than 'toward the pitcher'.....which would be perp to the foot....not parallel to the rear foot.

In the Nadal clip.....his is swinging darn near perp to his hip line. That is where the baseball swing must be swung.

A right handed hitter should be launching his swing at the 2B. A lefty should be launching his swing at the SS. As if to drive all pitches oppo. Then the rear hip turns to align with the ball....to hit it where it should be hit.....down central up the middle....inside pitch pulled. The diagonal swing plane allows this. The 'around the shoulders' plane does not.

The point is....all swings are launched perp to the body.....or parallel to the rear foot....then an 'on the fly' adjustment' turns the mechanism to ball alignment.

Builder's kids.....and many of the SnF drill swings.....are not launched in the correct direction. All the swings you see that are 'around the shoulders'.....are not launched perp to the hip.....nor parallel to the foot. To launch 'around the shoulders'....which most do....the stretch has to bleed first to turn the body/bat to the ball.....then....what is left?.....arm swing and late handle torque.

To use the stretch.....you must launch perp to the hip line....or parallel to the foot.....keeping in mind that neither perp nor parallel is exact. I don't have better words. And I think these words help explain the difference.
                        Here is some more info

Comment

07/17/2018

I tried coiling hip while keeping the femur facing the plate
                          Last edited by matthewerwin00; 07-17-2018, 10:36 PM.

Comment

07/17/2018

okay this is feeling much better
                            Last edited by matthewerwin00; 07-21-2018, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Trip To St. Charles

07/20/2018

Just got home from St. Charles. Teacherman was able to work with me for a couple hours. Was able to learn quite a bit and i now have a clearer path of things i need to work on. Trying to focus on getting on around here and getting a burst out of the rear leg. I am having an issue finding a readiness in my hands for some reason. I might need to explore with hand sets because whatever i am doing right now it doesn’t feel like i am able to launch instantly

Biggest take always from my time with TM:

sights up, barrel down

swing the knob NOT the barrel

back is further back then you think

ready position doesn’t mean strong position to rotate

tilt is more powerful than rotation
                              Last edited by matthewerwin00; 08-14-2018, 06:58 PM.

Comment

I am going to have to get my brain to understand that a “ready” position doesn’t mean ready to muscle up and pull and rotate. Some of my best hand pivot points when i was with TM when i tried to feel loose arms loose hands. Even though my ready position felt weak and vulnerable, i hit those balls the hardest.
                                Last edited by matthewerwin00; 07-23-2018, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X