Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

M.Erwin Progress

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see he has better scrap load and lateral tilt even though it looks like a bit of.a side tilt. His shoulders stay sideways longer. Another thing I noticed is how much his bat revolves around his body and hands and how much you use your body to make the barrel go around your body, if that makes sense.
    Last edited by Mike; 06-19-2018, 01:22 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=matthewerwin00;97265]

What do you see with this side by side?

Kemp does seem to have more depth than me.[/QUOTE
      Last edited by Mike; 06-20-2018, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Why don’t you do the drill Soriano does. Put the tee on the outside of the plate across from your rear hip. That’s helped my hitters.

Comment

Originally posted by jsoriano View Post
          Been using this exercise with some success recently helping kid make sense of turning the barrel...from tipped position I tell them to snap the barrel back, under, and out towards 2Bman...just started using the 'towards the 2Bman cue...this kid not doing it

From this I then tell them to move hands in front of back shoulder and do the same thing they are doing above...without tip or not as big of a tip

Then I get them in a wide stance and have them coil and again start hands in front of back shoulder but then pull scap back then do what they are doing in exercise above

Then we add a stride...

This kid is doing the exercise above with the snap barrel back, under, and out towards 2bman cue....then doing the wide stance/ coil /no stride /just pull scap back&turn it off tee
          Try these drills and see if you get the feel of turning the barrel rearward.

Comment

06/22/2018

Last edited by matthewerwin00; 07-19-2019, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Oppo launch direction was something that i had been missing. I finally felt the rear hip grab and whip my barrel through today.

I think i am lacking some tilt. In slow motion my swing seems to look a little “out front” - if that is the correct way of describing it.
              Last edited by matthewerwin00; 06-26-2018, 04:08 PM.

Comment

I can see the improvement and work you have put in to your swing. I agree your a little out
                front with your hands.
                Snap the barrel behind you.
                Last edited by Mike; 06-23-2018, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Teacherman View Post
                  Here are a couple of videos I made last December to show how to get a good deep rear hip load without losing two eye contact with the pitcher.

Each video starts with counter rotation of the shoulders by way of waist separation. There is no good coil feel until I get turned too far.

Then, I show what happens when you stick the butt out and arch the back and then coil or pull yourself on around by way of the lower back, not the shoulders. The good load feel happens long before you could lose two eye contact.

Use Your Back To Coil Side

Use Your Back To Coil Front

You can barely see anything, but it is quite significant, and, I think you can see enough that you can get out of your chair and attempt it and create the feel immediately. In both the good demo and the bad....I reach a quality load feeling. But the amount of movement is far less in the good attempt. With the main difference being the butt out and back arch.

When I stick my butt out and arch my back (using back extensor muscles)and then coil the hip socket around the ball of the femur, I reach the hip socket range of motion limit. Then, I pull the back around as far as it will go using lower back muscles, which isn't much further but I can feel it get tighter. I should say, whatever muscles I use, it creates a stretch feeling in the rear arch of the lower back as I attempt to pull rearward more. It is that rearward movement, or attempt at movement, that I am speaking of when I say it is constant and increasing. Right in the rear lower back. It is that feeling of stretch that creates the spring.

Here is an interesting piece of physics. You will not spring forward unless your back is pulling rearward. It is the back pulling rearward that the leg works against. The harder your back pulls rearward the harder the leg works to counter it. That is why it must be constant and increasing.

When you turn your barrel rearward 'into' that load....not forward 'away from' or 'out of' the load....you get a very sudden SnF launch.
                  Matt here is a good post about the pullback . Keep up the great work.

Comment

Usually when I am off it is because I am using arms/shoulders to power swing. I am not for sure if the root of the problem is because my rear leg load isn't right (which would mean I am forced to produce power with arms) or if i am simply just not launching 'into' the load and allowing rear leg to pull.

edit: I was not turning the barrel. I was using arms and shoulders to pull the knob across instead and rear leg can’t pull with shoulders rotating.
                    Last edited by matthewerwin00; 06-26-2018, 04:09 PM.

Comment

06/24/2018

So, in my last swing clip i talked about feeling the rear hip grab whip my barrel through. Well, tonight i didn’t seem like i could find that feeling. In my last post above i talked about not knowing the root of the issue. It seemed like i could just never find that autopilot feeling.

notice:
                      Originally posted by Mike View Post
                      I thought 2 legged too, because the way your hips were twisting and the shoulder rotation. Pulling along the barrel requires excessive shoulder rotation and it seemed to be more than normal.
                      edit: I wasn't turning the barrel. I was swinging the arms and shoulders. If shoulders are rotating rear leg can't pull. I fixed the issue by thinking knob up instantly and doing some barrel turn exercises Coach Soriano had shown me.
                      Last edited by matthewerwin00; 06-26-2018, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Matt, I’m sorry that’s above my pay grade. I’d be only guessing and wouldn’t want to do that to you. Maybe Richard or one of the more experienced posters will have some time to respond.

Comment

I quit dumping the barrel rearward because i was popping up. My rear leg wasn’t pulling and barrel was never getting whipped around. At the end, (the videos i posted were at the end of my session) i wasn’t snapping barrel rearward anymore because i didn’t want to pop up so i started pushing forward and applying force into the ball.

The root of the problem is i am 2 legged because my rear leg load wasn’t right.
                          Last edited by matthewerwin00; 08-14-2018, 06:52 PM.

Comment

I thought 2 legged too, because the way your hips were twisting and the shoulder rotation. Pulling along the barrel requires excessive shoulder rotation and it seemed to be more than normal. What I couldn't tell was a weighted or pushing back front foot. I didn't have the confidence to say it. All part of the learning process for all of us. Great job Matt, the fight continues.

Comment

That’ sounds great Matt.

Comment

06/27/2018

Felt good tonight. Trying to get around rear leg more here

edit: rear leg load still doesn't look right here
                                Last edited by matthewerwin00; 08-14-2018, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X