Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

Need help working on my snap... my hand pivot feels sloppy

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help working on my snap... my hand pivot feels sloppy

Need some help and tips with my snap. Here’s some videos. Any help or tips much appreciated thanks!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YMiNNDLDivc
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0MPV8MSGE6s
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl1oblT0IpQ
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vJihIrEL0NI

I think your gears aren’t meshed. Try and put your elbow in your back pocket

Think fused torso. The leg pulls
    Last edited by Mike; 07-10-2018, 05:40 AM.

Comment

Here’s me working on elbow to back hip. I’m just doing my upper here. I’m not even worrying on lower. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rie0ihlTTe4

Comment

Now take the next step and put the upper and lower together. It looks like you need to coil a little tighter.
        Last edited by Mike; 07-11-2018, 04:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Teacherman View Post
          I have a torsion spring rear leg. I definitely feel that. (Hip socket and lower back pulling rearward against the internal rotation of the rear leg).

I feel nothing in my front leg.
          A better way of saying it

Comment

this might also interest you as you mesh everything together.

......by not allowing your rear scap to unload until after the swing is over. (over defined as when force generation is over and autopilot begins) Go ahead and load it......I call this move 'loading around'.......because to me a load must unload. Since we don't unload the scap, I'm hesistant to call it a load.....but I just did.........in any case.....whatever we want to call it.....do not let it unload.

When you load your scap back you are taking slack out of the system. You feel a tightness in the scap near the spine. When the rear hip begins to turn forward.....if your scap is loaded and held.....you will feel that tightness increase.....a stretch.....and from that solid immovable platform.....that solid stationery scap platform.....turn the barrel rearward with your hands.....your hip will release suddenly if you've loaded the hip properly around the ball of the femur.....if you have the tug of war going on.....and you will whip.

Now.....lets consider the effect of 'up and under' versus 'up and over' on that scap action. In the 'up and under' action.....no external rotation of the humerus.....the up is a scap loading action. The under happens while the scap remains loaded. The elbow turns down as the scap remains loaded. The body is fused.....there is turning in the rear hip....there is more and more tightness at the scap.....the hands turn the barrel as the scap remains tight. You will whip.

Compare that to the 'up and over' external rotation. What MUST happen when your hand goes up as a result of that 'up and over' move? Two choices.....you either keep the scap loaded or you don't. If you do.....the swing is impossible to use. When you keep the scap loaded and go 'up and over'....the resulting swing arc is ridiculously unusable. It is like a cowboy lasso....it is mostly horizontal and up behind/over your head. So....since you can't do that.....to get the barrel arc anywhere near the ball.....you have to unload the scap. You get army. You give up fusion. Unloading the scap introduces slack/slop into the system. The rear hip no longer drives through that load. When you unload the scap you 'release' the good stretch....that good tightness that you felt in that scap area is gone. When you release that good tightness/stretch....there is no resistance to the hip.....you get turned forward too soon.....to early....you bleed the corner....and you push the bat forward.

What do you do with your rear scap? Are you 'loading around'?

Comment

This last one made a lot of sense. I can’t wait to feel it out tomorrow! Thanks so much!

Comment

Awesome Tyler. You are very close and turn the barrel exceptionally well in my opinion. The fight to get the swing right is so worth it. Looking forward to seeing the adjustments you make going forward.

My kids are doing a better job at fusing the torso and the scap pinch has helped other parts of the swing to align and fall in place.

What's amazing to me is that Richard can look and sees the entire swing and point out what's needed, I on the other hand, see chunks and segments of the swing. As I get better at stepping in to your swing , hopefully I can do a better job of identifying exactly the root cause and help you faster.
                Last edited by Mike; 07-12-2018, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Okay so it felt great off the tee today even with my stride adding into it. But then I tried off front toss and looking at the video there is a lot of slop in the front toss. What I see looking at the two is I am much more coiled and stretched off tee work then I am from front toss. I’m going to try to get more stretch and coil in front toss tomorrow. Also I feel like I need to maintain scap thru snap better in front toss. Here are the videos. Would love your opinion. Thanks!
                  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4CFltvbtqiQ
                  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ex-Mu7Umq4

Comment

I like the tee swing . I can see your continuous pullback and the barrel turning around you hand pivot point in to the ball. The front toss swing look like you are using your arms and lose your pullback. That’s just a quick look, I need to study your swing some more but this is a start.

Comment

I agree completely. I hit some more front toss earlier today and it was the same thing. No pullback from the upper and all arms. I feel like I really neee to focus on the pullback on the upper and just snapping from there.

Comment

What helped some of my kids was to do side toss flips and tee work and ease in to front toss as the swing mechanics becomes more of a habit.

Comment

I tried some side toss today and it was still sloppy but not as bad. Then I went into front toss. I liked to think my stretch brings my front foot up which helped a little today. I still looks like I jump up on my back leg when I pick my front foot up. My stretch needs to get better. It’s weird when I’m swinging I feel like I’m stretching a ton but then I watch my video and it’s just wrong. But yeah I feel like I don’t stay down I jumpe up then swing. Here’s some video of side and front toss
                          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1u2rTtKbeqM
                          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mN7Sb6epT8A

Comment

IMO, and without seeing a clip, MOMENTUM is likely the culprit.

And not necessarily 'forward' momentum.

'Loading' momentum, the act of loading, gives the 'look' but not the feel of the high level swing. What most call loading is simply 'taking out slack'. What happens from there is the true loading. It is silent. Invisible.

Once again I will offer this clip....

Just Turn The Barrel

I get into an attack oppo position. I hold it for several counts. THEN.....I simply.....TURN THE BARREL. I'm tight in my hip socket....hip is loaded against the internally rotating leg (can't see it....no movement). I'm tight in my lat (can't see it....no movement). I'm tight in my scap (can't see it....no movement). I am slackless....and holding that position. I feel my lower back and butt is tight. My rag is wrung.

THEN.....I simply turn the barrel. And that act of turning the barrel IS the true final loading that causes overlap. That act of turning the barrel against that tight lower back is the last bit of stretching. The rearward launch is the stretching. The rearward launch is countered by the rear hip.

Because my rag is wrung.....turning the barrel works. Without a wrung rag....it falls apart.

And....WITH a wrung rag....if I launch with my hip and not my leg....is falls apart.

The rearward launch against the wrung rag is the overlap.

Most kids want to feel momentum into this launch position. And in the process they avoid....they skip....the true load. They use the momentum to power their swing. They never learn the rear leg drive train.

Remember.....the stretch is the load. The ultimate stretch is the barrel going rearward against the wrung rag.

That's the long version.

I bet he is not rear leg driven. I bet he is unloading his hip.
                            I see it as a timing and sequence issue. Read this

Comment

https://youtu.be/JSAE27LzULI

Here is another video from Richard

Comment

Working...
                              X