Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

I Will Make The Most Important Video Made....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One more thing....

I am not against momentum.

But these underlying moves...positions....loads....preps....must be understood first. Because the simplest of momentum moves will ruin the process if the other stuff is not learned and engrained.

Once the underlying things are learned....understood....engrained....it is so easy to add some momentum to enhance their load and unload, without breaking down the entire process. When you KNOW the underlying loads/moves/preps....you LOVE them....and you will not let momentum get in the way of them....you will let momentum ENHANCE them.

Builders use of the word 'spin' with the HI hitters.....is inaccurate. Spin, in hitting, has always meant 'no separation'....just spinning around your hips. Spinning better defines Powy's stuff. Two hip two leg rotation.

IF there is SnF....there is not spin. If you have hip socket separation and lower back pull back....you have separation....even if Builder can't see it. If you have separation you have SnF....not spin. If you have a spring....you are not spinning.

But....he intentionally uses the word spin because he knows he can influence those who want to see momentum....and can't see the separation process.

Comment

Originally posted by Teacherman View Post
      HI.com ONLY

I think this video is necessary to understand the previous one.

Early Handle Torque

I my post above I suggested taking all in....as fast as you can do it....handle torque only swings. The above is my demo of that. Visually you see the body move....but mentally....I am simply finding a handset that allows me to JUST turn the barrel. I demonstrate it from two different handsets.

To go all in....you have to first sell out to the forearm rotation. You have to sell out to "that is what I'm going to do"...."that is ALL I'm going to do". And, part of the process is finding a handset that allows that.

If you take some swings doing just this....you will experience swing quickness for the first time. You will experience the kind of quickness the swing must have to compete at higher levels. Simple....aggressive....all in....forearm rotation only. There is NO WAY....a hip rotation swing can produce the quickness you feel....if you do this. It will contribute though....without planning for it. It will feel.....should feel....like it is forearm rotation only. It will feel different because you are used to feeling substantial body movement first....body power....to power your swing. But.....when you do that.....when you gear up the body....you will almost always do the "Kata" first....then swing. And you are beat. My body turns.....and I'm trying to not let it.....but the handle torque is so aggressive there is no way to stop it.

The trigger....the go move....must be the hands. Even if you think you see the hip move first.

Something you must be very careful with is the handset. It doesn't take much 'going back'....or 'going back wrong'....to find a spot that completely compromises the 'handle torque only' handset that is needed. You have to make sure that the movement that takes you back comes from the rear side, that it is in the hip....and lower back....and not in the lead arm....or the front side of the torso. Getting the slightest stretch in the lead arm....or the front side....MUST cause the "Kata".

So....when Matt Kata says he concentrates on 'wringing the handle'....from what position can you do that best? You can not do it well with a lead side stretch. Because the lead side will pull if stretched. And when it pulls the hands must travel forward.

Getting the resistance back....behind the hip....must be a hip and lower back and scap pull. As soon as there is a lead side push back, there must be a lead side pull forward at go.....the "Kata". And this pull forward compromises the swing quickness.
      This is an absolute.

Teach - one thing I tell kids who swing/torque out front is that when they initially move their shoulders their barrel hasn't moved an inch. The hands must work with the hips to get the barrel to the ball. They have to work instantly or they have no chance at a good fastball. I know you don't care for the term 5 frames to contact - BUT they must realize that without the hands working at go to move the barrel they are not fast enough to the ball. Your demonstration of the shoulders moving and the barrel stuck doing nothing is existent in almost every youths kids swing. I hope everyone here understands what you are demonstrating.
      "Tip it and rip it" - In Memory of Dmac
      "Hit the inside seam" - In Memory of Swingbuster

Comment

Teach~ What are you feeling in your legs when you do this? I was playing around with it today, and I don't actually notice my bottom half at all when I am doing it. Is this how it is supposed to feel, or have I possibly concentrated too much on the "above the waist" ?

Comment

I have a torsion spring rear leg. I definitely feel that. (Hip socket and lower back pulling rearward against the internal rotation of the rear leg).

I feel nothing in my front leg.

Comment

I feel the lower back and hip, too....nothing below that in either leg. I just "find" myself done with my swing....all of a sudden.

Comment

still working on the scap part, though. it doesn't happen consistently for me.....yet.

Comment

If you don't feel the torsion through your rear leg I'm concerned about that.

The coil should be so tight that it screws your rear foot into the ground.....external rotation of the rear foot.....done BY THE COIL.....even though the rear leg is internally rotating.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph73 View Post
                  still working on the scap part, though. it doesn't happen consistently for me.....yet.
                  I have a feeling that your torsion spring may not be springy.

If it isn't it will effect your scap clamp/pinch and your ability to turn the barrel efficiently.

Comment

I feel it in my rear leg when I am just hitting off the tee, when I have time to be deliberate with my mechanics. I don't notice it live...but that may just be because it is "game time" and I am not thinking about mechanics anyway.

I will make it a point to notice any feeling I might have in bp.

Comment

You have plenty of time to do this....

when I have time to be deliberate with my mechanics
                      ....in the batters box.

Comment

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/n...=.jsp&sid=t102

Career high in HR's...and many other categories.

Our meeting surely didn't hurt him. At the time we met his trip to St. Louis was to visit a sports psychologist. I'm curious what has helped him the most.

Comment

Originally posted by Teacherman View Post
                          Everyone talks about how simple and quiet ministealth's swing is.

He is very good at the hand pivot point.

His body aligns to the HPP's goal....he does not align the HPP to the body.

His body contributes greatly.....but secondarily. It contributes to the barrel turn.

In fact....ministealth's swings look similar to the handle torque only demo swings....but from his handset. He knows the first thing that happens must 'turn' the barrel. Not pull it some. Not push it some. TURN IT.....immediately.

You can not do this....

.....you can not get that two pivot point syncage....where they work together....in unison....yet against each other....with pivoting ONLY....in BOTH....if the hands/forearms haven't sold out to the barrel turn FIRST.
                          Spent almost an hour yesterday reading through the Mini Stealth thread, I believe it's almost 59 pages. What a story and even more a study guide. They keep it simple and keep digging.

Rich
                          I am trying to digest this and have been upticking with the swift stick, I'll hope to start working with the boy's in the next few days. If you look at the last couple of swings with my oldest he definitly is trying to muscel the ball with his body. At times he has turn the barrel pretty good but, it's a constant battle to keep him in the pattern. Thought about maybe going to the swift stick and spend some time repping up tick and turning. Sometimes when we use his game bat he gets sloppy after a few.

Shumro

Comment

Interesting tid bit;

I hear on occasion the tip n rip doesn't work for certain kids. Here is a thought; If you tip you MUST turn the barrel immediately from that tipped position or you will never hit the ball unless it is being lobbed to you. If you use your arms from a tipped position and then the hands it won't work. Turn the barrel via your hands!

Even if you don't tip n rip in your normal day to day swing, I would think it would be a great drill during your bp session to do it - at least do the happy gilmore from a tipped position. Maybe 10-15 swings as a warm up. It will reinforce the hands turning the barrel.

Shumro - I love going back through that thread. I love the first attempts at the vertical barrel and tip n rip.
                            "Tip it and rip it" - In Memory of Dmac
                            "Hit the inside seam" - In Memory of Swingbuster

Comment

Bump......

Comment

I am having a difficult time taking the ball to the opposite field still. I hit a ton of foul balls behind me and the other way when I attempt to hit balls the other way in BP. I think I am consistently getting beat because of the 'Kata' move.

Comment

Working...
                                X