Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

Starting this material with youth hitters- system, progression

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by garvancarver View Post
    Would need to have video to help with that situation. Likely head/vision problem when swinging under and popping up. Wrist roll over is a possible cause of dribblers.. Need video.
    Hes pulling off. Visions fine...head lays down bcz hes pulling off and rotating shoulders real early

Comment

Shoulders should never rotate. The fused torso unit must laterally tilt over/around the ball of the rear femur at go. In fact, the hitter should do his best to not let the shoulders rotate. The bat must be swung around the forearms not around the spine.

Comment

Watch Mamnys bat swing perpendicular to and around the rear forearm.

Comment

I do see the shoulders rotating. Would a more accurate description be the shoulders don't rotate until after the swing has been launched?

Comment

If I have a rectangular box that is pivoting about the lower rear corner, would you say it is rotating about a central axis?

Comment

I only see shoulder (upper spine) rotation after contact in the Manny clip. The rear leg turns the coiled hip which turns the pelvis which syncs/grabs/links/hitches up with the tilting torso. The shoulders are along for the ride.

Comment

In response to the original question...

I am coaching a 12u team this year. We are having some good success (.667 win % at the moment). As the manager of the team, I try to make sure I am not bogging down my athletes with all long winded descriptions of the swing...

In my opinion, an athlete does not learn new mechanics by focusing so much on the body; rather, it is the focus of what the bat is supposed to do and where you want the ball to go that helps the body learn the SnF mechanics more rapidly. The human mind learns motor behaviors at an unconscious level, not at a cognizant level.

Therefore, in addition to what others have been saying, I try to make my focus task oriented, and I try to make as few corrections as possible in order to limit confusion and regression. The kids are 12 and have very little understanding of the different parts of their body, but they know what the goal is when the step into the batters box.

I teach a lot of barrel turn with the emphasis of not letting the hands get to the ball but the BARREL getting there.

I teach the lasering technique that comes with the barrel turn. I try to get them to envision slicing the ball from the bottom to the top as if there is a light saber coming out of the handle of the bat.... the barrel will follow immediately behind the light saber.

I put the ball on the tee and position the ball fairly deep in the hitter's stance. I tell him to focus on hitting down on the inside seam but sending the ball up the middle of the field. I point out if he hit the inside seam or came around and hit the outside seam. I want him to feel the difference, and I want him to figure out how to use his scap/lower back/hip/hands to make it work on his own.

I encourage kids to take an uppercut swing and try to hit balls into the air and ask them what they feel. With my guided eye, I determine if they are feeling some HI mechanics. If they are, I ask if they can use that same feeling and start hitting line drives with it.

Recently, I started putting my 33" end loaded wood bat in my players hands. I threw them some easy front toss from behind the screen. I expected two of my bigger kids to be able to swing it, but to my surprise, every single kid started making better swings (I think the hollow metal rods we put in kids hands is a giant proponent to amateur mechanics being endorsed).

I draw lines in the dirt of the on deck circle (imagine the inside lines of a peace sign). I tell the athlete to focus on getting his bat to speed up on the line behind him (pointed toward oppo field) and to let the bat follow through on the line that is pointing to the pitcher.

I try to get my players say the words "pitch" as the pitch is released and "hit" as they make contact with the ball in order to shut down their conscious mind and allow the body to take over. It also helps them understand the window of opportunity the HI mechanics create.

But, again, back to my original point... as the manager of the team, I cannot critique every little detail of every swing on the team. It will undoubtedly crush some of their spirits as they struggle and the team morale will suffer as a whole. I do everything I can to be a constant encourager and motivator of my players and put the pressure on myself not having found the right coaching cues instead of them not picking up what I know to work.

Finally, I stress quality at bats above all else. I tell my players I do not care if they never getting any hits for the whole year just so long as they are getting runners over when they make contact and are seeing a lot of pitches throughout the AB. When the whole lineup does this, it has a tremendous effect to how many runs we are putting up as a team and how we are playing in the field.
                Last edited by BlueBloodBaseball; 05-23-2017, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RayR View Post
                  I only see shoulder (upper spine) rotation after contact in the Manny clip. The rear leg turns the coiled hip which turns the pelvis which syncs/grabs/links/hitches up with the tilting torso. The shoulders are along for the ride.
                  Thank you for the CLEAR explanation

Comment

Originally posted by Teacherman View Post
                    If I have a rectangular box that is pivoting about the lower rear corner, would you say it is rotating about a central axis?
                    I do not know, But in trying to visualize Id say , What is the lower rear corner? Is the box the forearms?

Comment

Originally posted by jsoriano View Post
                      1. the barrel path
                      2. the load
                      3. put it together

Here's a kid I just started working with. Great kid...not the most athletic, but she takes instruction pretty well and does what I ask her to at home and is getting no outside interference from her head coach or dad.

The 'before' swing they sent me before our first lesson
                      https://youtu.be/WmnztPRPZvw

Some stuff we worked on during our second lesson.

1Legged stop swing with arm bar (1Legged stance could be better):

1Legged stop swing w/o arm bar (1Legged stance could be better):

No stride, load&half swing tee:

No stride, load&half swing soft toss:

Happy Gilmore:

Work in progress.
                      how did you make that arm bar. Is that store bought or home made?

Comment

1. the barrel path
                        2. the load
                        3. put it together

Here's a kid I just started working with. Great kid...not the most athletic, but she takes instruction pretty well and does what I ask her to at home and is getting no outside interference from her head coach or dad.

The 'before' swing they sent me before our first lesson
                        https://youtu.be/WmnztPRPZvw

Some stuff we worked on during our second lesson.

1Legged stop swing with arm bar (1Legged stance could be better):

1Legged stop swing w/o arm bar (1Legged stance could be better):

No stride, load&half swing tee:

No stride, load&half swing soft toss:

Happy Gilmore:

Work in progress.
                        What a great post/ Makes sense. Clear examples!

Comment

Originally posted by HitzAllDay View Post
                          I do not know, But in trying to visualize Id say , What is the lower rear corner? Is the box the forearms?
                          1. What is the lower rear corner? [The rear hip]
                          2. Is the box the forearms? [No, the box is the fused torso...pelvis included.]

Comment

Originally posted by HitzAllDay View Post
                            how did you make that arm bar. Is that store bought or home made?
                            The one in the clip is store bought, but I also use the homemade ones that have been posted here and they work just as good and kids say they are more comfortable than store bought ones.

Comment

Originally posted by garvancarver View Post
                              "...not the most athletic, but she takes instruction pretty well and does what I ask her to at home and is getting no outside interference from her head coach or dad."

What do you ask them to do at home?
                              Varies, but for this kid I've asked to work on the same drills she is doing in the clips. I have another kid that is starting to hit the ball well and her swing flaw was coming around the ball so I had her doing a lot of outside contact point tee work driving the ball over the 2nd baseman's head. So just depends on the kid and what we are working on.

Comment

Varies, but for this kid I've asked to work on the same drills she is doing in the clips. I have another kid that is starting to hit the ball well and her swing flaw was coming around the ball so I had her doing a lot of outside contact point tee work driving the ball over the 2nd baseman's head. So just depends on the kid and what we are working on.
                                I started using the rear legged swings with a tee even with rear foot. Focus on hitting line drives to oppo field. One hitter uisng drill hit 2 yesterday to oppo field. One was caught in RC gap other one hopped fence for 3 run double. This is from a player that never hits oppo.

This is a really good drill.

Basically this drill but full swing to oppo field

And make back foot even with tee
                                Last edited by RayR; 05-24-2017, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X