Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

First try SnF

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mikecon View Post
    Thanks!

School stats today... Slash line... .404/.467/.635

Solid.

Should be a challenging summer.

Awesome! Good job guys! Keep going!

Comment

• The 'get your front down' coaches are getting to him... Inconsistent in MA and NJ past couple weeks...

Comment

• FWIW, good results this weekend in ME... 7/13 with a couple of doubles...

3-for-3 with a double against a D2 (SNHU) sophomore... Wood bat...

Comment

The 'get your front down' coaches are getting to him... Inconsistent in MA and NJ past couple weeks...

How can I argue against the 'get the front foot down' cue? That's very popular here and the kids I see that try to do that all have a pause in their swing...they start moving...then 'get the front foot down early'...pause...then continue. I've read several times here that the rear hip needs to put the front foot down, but I want to have a better understanding so I can really backup when I say that getting the front foot down early shouldn't be a goal...

Comment

• Originally posted by jsoriano View Post
            How can I argue against the 'get the front foot down' cue? That's very popular here and the kids I see that try to do that all have a pause in their swing...they start moving...then 'get the front foot down early'...pause...then continue. I've read several times here that the rear hip needs to put the front foot down, but I want to have a better understanding so I can really backup when I say that getting the front foot down early shouldn't be a goal...
            When I worked with Matt exclusively, our fix and training regarding the front foot was to IGNORE IT. No teach; no thought.

As he tries to appease his coaches, I see him thinking about. And, when it comes to being inn the batter's box, 'when you think, you stink'. In the latest swings, the thinking appears less.

Everything that would happen with it can and should be reactive; the back hip is where the 'feels' should be managed and the front leg/foot will slave in support.

The primary argument is active front leg/foot promotes early weight shift -- and once that happens the hi-level barrel path is compromised. The hi-level path requires you be one-legged. It can also wreck timing if it lights the fuse of your trigger for GO.

This is not to say that you can't be hi-level with 'front-foot down early' or no-striding, for that matter. You just cannot integrate it with your trigger and you cannot shift your weight in doing so; your pull-backs have to be sufficient and coordinated to 'keep you back' through your GO.

Comment

...Seriously, he's confident he can hit against any velo... He's actually said, "Dad, how much faster can 95 really be?" LMAO!...
              Be careful what you wish for ... WWBA 17U... Chain National... DL Hall, FSU commit... touched 95, sitting 92... and a pretty good hook...

Comment

• Is everything OK with Mikecon? Haven't seen him post lately and then I checked the site and see that it really has been a while...

Comment

• Originally posted by redwill View Post
                  Is everything OK with Mikecon? Haven't seen him post lately and then I checked the site and see that it really has been a while...
                  Been wondering this myself too....

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueBloodBaseball View Post
                    Been wondering this myself too....
                    Me three. He helped me soooo much in the beginning when I was first learning this stuff and I really appreciated all his help. Great contributor to the site.

Comment

• Originally posted by jsoriano View Post
                      Me three. He helped me soooo much in the beginning when I was first learning this stuff and I really appreciated all his help. Great contributor to the site.
                      Completely agree! Hope he and his family are well. He really helped out a lot.

Comment

• Hey there. I am new. Just joined today in fact and this post could pretty much be describing the last two years of my son's and my baseball journey. Working with a suposed "guru" who all but bled my kid of any real athleticism and movement -- hands hands hands, knob to the ball, etc. I finally had to go down the online hitting rabbitt hole and educate myself, finally landing at R.I.O.T Hitting in the Bronx, which led me to Richard. Definitely would love to post some video of my son as well, but can't find the MANAGE ATTACHMENTS tab :-). Anyway, my son, is also 13, played for the Long Island Ducks last Fall and had a solid season but his swing broke down on any slo mo analysis. We are working together everyday in the cage and it is slow and painful -- those hands just want to come forward and take over the swing! But today we had a mini-breakthrough wheh I told him to swing like "Happy Gilmore" just to unlock his body. Swing was a bit of a mess but he finally felt his back at work!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattr57 View Post
                          Hey there. I am new. Just joined today in fact and this post could pretty much be describing the last two years of my son's and my baseball journey. Working with a suposed "guru" who all but bled my kid of any real athleticism and movement -- hands hands hands, knob to the ball, etc. I finally had to go down the online hitting rabbitt hole and educate myself, finally landing at R.I.O.T Hitting in the Bronx, which led me to Richard. Definitely would love to post some video of my son as well, but can't find the MANAGE ATTACHMENTS tab :-). Anyway, my son, is also 13, played for the Long Island Ducks last Fall and had a solid season but his swing broke down on any slo mo analysis. We are working together everyday in the cage and it is slow and painful -- those hands just want to come forward and take over the swing! But today we had a mini-breakthrough wheh I told him to swing like "Happy Gilmore" just to unlock his body. Swing was a bit of a mess but he finally felt his back at work!
                          Welcome. If you post slo mo video be sure to also post the regular speed video with it. Slo mo alone not the best for video analysis. Also, you may want to start your own thread...

I was reading an old thread the other day and when you said your son's 'hands just want to come forward' it reminded me of it so figured I'd post link to thread so you can read the first post by TM.

http://hittingillustrated.com/forum/...ghlight=Mankin

Comment

• Thanks so much! Just getting into this thread, tons of great stuff! To post video do I start a new thread?

Comment

• My son' swing

Hey there I am new -- just joined yesterday. My son, 13, is trying very hard to rid himself of two year sof down and through, hands first muscle memory. Yesterday in the cage, I literally just asked him to swing like Happy Gilmore in an attemot to get him to start feeling the barrel work behind rather than in front of him. Any ideas on further cues or methods to get him to break the hands habit would be appreciated. His team coach loves his swing but when you slow it down you see a marked chop at the ball at contact followed by an insanely low finish.

Thanks in advance for any help!
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by redwill View Post
                                Is everything OK with Mikecon? Haven't seen him post lately and then I checked the site and see that it really has been a while...
                                Found this on Mikecon's Youtube channel...

Comment

Working...
                                X