Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

Brandon's Journey Continues

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Richard-

(site working SLOW this am)

I think once you get the overall pattern the way you understand it, you find lots of pieces of info described in various places that you can adapt and use as drills to make progress.

One of the benefits of practicing overhand throw at same time is that the back arm load and early hip action - the loading of the merrygoround is very similar.

As the motions progress, they are no longer the same. Front and back side alternate and weight shift synch is different, for example.

The Dixon concept of "creating the V" which does not max out until the front foot is down is a good one. This "V" then turns into "front side stretch" with the proper kind of pelvic action wih a similar sequence in hitting (during drop and tilt) and in throwing (when hip turn goes to max BEFORE foot plant in case of throwing.

So throwing is different, especially off the mound since, in that case, the front side stretch keeps the shoulders more level as the feet can go down the elevation off the mound.

AND the throwing has to use the weight shift later for supporting the final bow instead of starting the merry goround with a full cusp as in the case of hitting.

BUT the basic load sequence is the same and the fuller/less reactive throwing action can really get the center move synched with the what the hands tell it to do and carry this over to hitting.

The "V to front side stretch" (load/unload pelvis) in hitting is the same sequence as the "stepover" in throwing.

It can be felt much more easily in throwing (as can hip cock/keeping hips coked), then carried over and synched with rubber band winding (hip turn) then weight shift-drop and tilt (hip launch) in hitting.
    Last edited by tom.guerry; 01-07-2007, 09:59 AM.

Comment

golf

In golf, a reverse pivot is far different than a Reverse-C follow through.

Such a follow through is not a flaw, though it can signal problems. Many of the greatest golfers in history had Reverse-C finishes, though it is now long out of style.

A reverse pivot is the flaw of very poor players.

Brandon does not reverse pivot.

Cut_Three

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, Cut 3. At any rate... a reverse-C finish in a baseball swing probably IS considered a "flaw".
        Last edited by Sandman; 01-07-2007, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dmac
          On the lower half, he does not seem comfortable striding, so what I would do is have him go with his old no-stride, but widen the stance a little to give him a better, stronger base to hit from.
          yes........

Comment

yes, yes, yes

Comment

What do you see, Stealth?

We've been working but had nothing good to post. We had a total meltdown. The swing, then the confidence, then the attitude. The "add ons" were simply to much for him. The more we worked on loading the worse it got.

Then, half way through the workout today he "found" his hand set and everything came together. Everything got easy. He could swivel to the ball AND load it first.

A long story short......he had stopped torquing the handle at "go" and was getting very army in the swing. For Brandon, the handle torque at "go" must be there or his arms get active and everything goes to hell. That handle torque keeps the hands busy while the rest of the body works around that resistance. The hands turning the barrel creates a mechanism for everything else to work with and against.

Comment

A stride - it's a miracle

I am still waiting for the Happy Gilmore swing - maybe next time?

The swing is improving. The stride looks a little uncomfortable but it's a start. I would love to see a side view. I think there are a lot of people who wish there kids could swing as well as Brandon. Is it perfect, no but who is. You can't count the -1% who make it!

Anway to get his bat a little more vertical?

I would imagine if we had a side view it would look like his front knee needs to go in a little more to coil the hip - hard to tell from the front.

Let him go from here - he has the foundation. He just needs a little luck and needs to work harder than the rest of his teammates. When he gets a chance he needs to produce!

Comment

Do these links show anything else that was asked for?

Brandon 1
                  Brandon 2

Comment

Originally posted by Teacherman View Post
                    Do these links show anything else that was asked for?

Brandon 1
                    Brandon 2
                    Richard, these clips aren't opening for me. I get a bunch of garbled letters.?

Comment

That's weird. They work for me.

Can anyone else see them? Or not?

Can you save them to see them?

Comment

Can you save them to see them?
                        Yes, they work that way.

Comment

I moved them to another server.

Do they work now?

Comment

I like the Brandon 1 swing. A lot.

Comment

I moved them to another server.

Do they work now?
                              Perfectly

Comment

He squared #1 up pretty good.

I posted #2 because of the effort level he reached in that swing. I like that swing a lot.....even though he sliced the ball a little. He found a hand set tonight that he could swivel AND go all out.

He was lowering the lead shoulder to load (as well as other things). He said "I thought I was really lowering it"......"the video doesn't look like I felt".

But in clip #2, I see a little more load than the rest.....I see a quicker unload.....maybe his best cusp.....and therefore he was slightly early.

Comment

Working...
                                X