Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

Mini-Pronk

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the cuts. First one a little out in front but mechanics wise look pretty good. Liner to center, nice.

I really see him loading the rear hip and feel him hitting off of the rear leg.
    Also, I could feel the upper body resistance.

keep up the good work...

Comment

Originally posted by Pronk View Post
      Game swing time... Unfortunately momma missed the 3rd AB as he hit the first pitch (they claim) about 310 to dead center but was caught. They had 4 freshman up there today and he was the only one to make contact. So anyway I don't have the long out, but was 1-3 with another RBI. Still a tough out it seems.

The first swing was a fielders choice hit hard to SS. This kid stymied most of the lineup and was bringing some heat according to momma-pronk

This was one our first run scored in the game a nice liner to CF.

And of course we missed the far hit but it was an out. Still that's an out you live with.... He's really getting into it right now... Football lifting starts this week (speed/weights 2 hours per day 4 days per week) so I might let him work through some muscle soreness before taking the next clip. Then again he might not get too sore they are young.
      2 VERY nice hacks! I like what I see in both these swings. He made a great adjustment on the first. I really like how he doesn't get out on his front foot in the first swing. I see just a little sit-enough to allow him stay through the ball and not roll over. The second is a nice quick/short stroke. He's got a great game swing for sure-I think it looks even better than his cage swings. We're always just the opposite-awesome in the cage-revision in the game. Anyway-good stuff for sure.
      Originally posted by HiddenGem
      Mark H, is a retard..plain and simple. He doesn't know the first thing about swinging a bat, and his video analyisis is pathetic at best. God help the poor souls that take any advice from that clown.

Comment

I like the progress. Below is a quote form Dmac (to mini stealth) I thought might be appropriate for mini-pronk.

Stealth, When he strides, he just steps out with his right leg, and his head does not move. Get him to stride out and let his head go along with the stride. Once the front foot comes down, he then should keep his head steady. By keeping his head still while he is stepping forward, he is not getting off the back side. If you watch most of the side views of the big leaguers, their head will go right along with their stride and then firm up when the front foot comes down. Bonds is the only guy I can think of who keeps his head in the same spot from stride to contact.
        I see mini pronk riding that back leg, but can he get a little momentum going while riding that back leg?
        "Tip it and rip it" - In Memory of Dmac
        "Hit the inside seam" - In Memory of Swingbuster

Comment

Originally posted by Pronk

I really like the way he meters his stride in this clip.
          Maybe ?....knows he's a little early with it and uses his left toe as a balancer to keep from moving out / striding too soon. When they get the feeling of "in the back leg" this is a more natural thing to do when / if the timing of the stride is slightly off. Good stuff.

Most kids in this position will just go ahead and shift,,,then swing.
          He doesn't in this clip. Again, good job.

Comment

Originally posted by Lclifton View Post

I really like the way he meters his stride in this clip.
            Maybe ?....knows he's a little early with it and uses his left toe as a balancer to keep from moving out / striding too soon. When they get the feeling of "in the back leg" this is a more natural thing to do when / if the timing of the stride is slightly off. Good stuff.

Most kids in this position will just go ahead and shift,,,then swing.
            He doesn't in this clip. Again, good job.
            Loren good point I just noticed the difference between the two clips and there is certainly more of a bump in the front toe that you pointed out.

He is a little too much all back, all forward, however at least as the hands start working they stay back enough to get the knee going so there is still a slight separation. Right now he's hitting and this league only goes a few more weeks I think we'll tinker in 3-4 weeks or so. Probably do a Skype also...

Comment

Originally posted by Stealth View Post
              I like the progress. Below is a quote form Dmac (to mini stealth) I thought might be appropriate for mini-pronk.

I see mini pronk riding that back leg, but can he get a little momentum going while riding that back leg?
              I would not recommend this at this time.

Comment

He is a little too much all back, all forward, however at least as the hands start working they stay back enough to get the knee going so there is still a slight separation. Right now he's hitting and this league only goes a few more weeks
                I agree.

I like what I see. Stay the course. Get better at the course.

Comment

Originally posted by Teacherman View Post
                  I would not recommend this at this time.

I don't mind that you disagree but why? I point it out because I am going through these same steps with Mini Stealth right now. Riding the back leg is good but if you don't "get it going" against good pitching it will become an issue IMHO.

Comment

If momentum comes before resistance/stretch you will have a hard time developing the whip/cusp. You will push to keep up with the momentum.

Comment

Originally posted by Teacherman View Post
                      If momentum comes before resistance/stretch you
                      Will have a hard time developing the whip/cusp. You will push to keep up with the momentum.
                      BUT - if you can create resistance/stretch as you create momentum you will have the best of both worlds!

FYI - I am not suggesting a big movement here like Hank Aaron, but a subtle move forward. I like the progress of Mini Pronk.

Comment

Originally posted by Pronk
                        He is a little too much all back, all forward, however at least as the hands start working they stay back enough to get the knee going so there is still a slight separation.
                        Maybe a little.
                        This is intended in a nice way. Don't confuse him moving the bat from flat to vertical as an "all back" movement. I am going to find a clip to show what I see / mean.

He may be MOSTLY back, but I don't see this as "all back." I think his movements are getting refined and the last little bit of "back" may be felt more than seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Lclifton View Post
                          Maybe a little.
                          This is intended in a nice way. Don't confuse him moving the bat from flat to vertical as an "all back" movement. I am going to find a clip to show what I see / mean.

He may be MOSTLY back, but I don't see this as "all back." I think his movements are getting refined and the last little bit of "back" may be felt more than seen.
                          What I see is what looks like a subtle (not as pronounced as Pujols) lift of the hands before they come forward. It is of course at that time the rear forearm is getting vertically oriented. If you watch the main Brandon swing we all like so much the pronation of the lead forearm seems to setup the rear to swivel. If this is happening while the hip (or rear knee for visual) you are definitely separating. Just maybe not to the fullest.

The thing is I stray from teaching that for fear of a two part swing but I can assure you my little one's rear forearm often does not get into a good position to swivel. The recent Pena clip I posted shows clearly it's not two part.

Comment

Game swing time... Unfortunately momma missed the 3rd AB as he hit the first pitch (they claim) about 310 to dead center but was caught. They had 4 freshman up there today and he was the only one to make contact. So anyway I don't have the long out, but was 1-3 with another RBI. Still a tough out it seems.

The first swing was a fielders choice hit hard to SS. This kid stymied most of the lineup and was bringing some heat according to momma-pronk

And of course we missed the far hit but it was an out. Still that's an out you live with.... He's really getting into it right now... Football lifting starts this week (speed/weights 2 hours per day 4 days per week) so I might let him work through some muscle soreness before taking the next clip. Then again he might not get too sore they are young.
                            Pronk,

This is going to seem like very easy advice. I think your son loses the barrel angle too early. I've captured these frames from both swings just as the shoulders start to turn. He'd benefit from keeping a cocked bat angle longer.

"I don't set goals. I set standards." Wade Boggs

Comment

Originally posted by Stealth View Post
                              BUT - if you can create resistance/stretch as you create momentum you will have the best of both worlds!

FYI - I am not suggesting a big movement here like Hank Aaron, but a subtle move forward. I like the progress of Mini Pronk.
                              IMO.....we are entering the danger zone.

And the words we use are critical to getting it right.

There is momentum.....just moving out while doing the same things. And there is momentum that you stretch against.

I don't believe kids hear 'stretch' when you say 'get momentum'.

When Kent and Bonds go forward, they are stretching.

Comment

I don't believe kids hear 'stretch' when you say 'get momentum'.
                                True - but I believe Pronk knows how to communicate this to Mini.

When Kent and Bonds go forward, they are stretching.
                                Absolutely - and Mini Pronk is not getting everything he could in his current swing. He is getting better, way better imho and this will allow him to hit the ball even further.

Comment

Working...
                                X