Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

Mini-Pronk

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

- Hold the tipped position a little longer.
    And that would be about all I would give him to think about.
    Nice work.

The younger son. I agree with Slapper. Considering the "rust."
    It is a bit rotational in the shoulders---- but not all that bad.
    How heavy is that wood bat?

Comment

Originally posted by Lclifton View Post
      And that would be about all I would give him to think about.
      Nice work.

The younger son. I agree with Slapper. Considering the "rust."
      It is a bit rotational in the shoulders---- but not all that bad.
      How heavy is that wood bat?
      You know I am not sure because I don't think it was on the bat. This is a cupped maple, which I inadvertently taped (I've since heard it's not really necessary with maple). So it's 31 inches, I'd have to guess either 31-28 or around 31-26. I put a regular grip on the bat as well. I need to get wood for the older son now that I think about it.

Comment

I like what I see.

Comment

Question: what do you think about Pronks kids swings being launched with the hands a little to far back toward the catcher? Can you turn the barrel from that position better or is it easier when they are closer to the shoulder. I think when the lead arm gets back to far (straightens) it becomes very hard to turn the barrel. Is it an issue here?

This is something I have been focusing on and I am curious to what others think.

Pronk - the kids are doing great, keep at it!
          "Tip it and rip it" - In Memory of Dmac
          "Hit the inside seam" - In Memory of Swingbuster

Comment

Stealth: Yes!!!!

Comment

I do not see the shoulder tilt contributing in the kid in black

Comment

Originally posted by Stealth View Post
                Question: what do you think about Pronks kids swings being launched with the hands a little to far back toward the catcher? Can you turn the barrel from that position better or is it easier when they are closer to the shoulder. I think when the lead arm gets back to far (straightens) it becomes very hard to turn the barrel. Is it an issue here?

This is something I have been focusing on and I am curious to what others think.

Pronk - the kids are doing great, keep at it!
                I agree here. My son tends to do the same thing. When the hands get that far back they have to do something to get them into a good position to launch. My son slides his hands forward and it looks like Mini pulls a little with the lead shoulder to move them forward.

Now to figure out how to fix it.

HYP
                "They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."

- Willie Stargell

Comment

Where are their hands?

How did they get there?

What direction were they going right up until 'go'?

How about these?

Pronk,

Do your gif's play slower than others? Do you slow them down?

Comment

Originally posted by Teacherman View Post
                    Where are their hands?

How did they get there?

What direction were they going right up until 'go'?
                    Pronk,

Do your gif's play slower than others? Do you slow them down?
                    Actually there might be something to this. Most of the clips I see here are at 25 FPS. Mine record at 30 FPS. I think this does have a little difference. We know how a 15 FPS clip looks. I might be able to dork with these to make mine 25 to see if it looks any different.

Comment

Teach I just experimented cutting one of these to 25 FPS and interestingly it did look a lot quicker. I am not sure if it just dropped frames or how the converter worked. It would be nice if it just played the thing and saved the frames at lesser rate but I have no idea.

Interesting all clips from m---Elll----Bee.com that grab and make gifs of are 25 FPS clips usually. I suppose the slow-mo ones are a little more, maybe 50 FPS.

Seems as if 25 FPPS does look quicker but again I am not sure how I can make that switch. In fact the one gif I converted to 25 FPS would not open in Animation Shop.

Comment

Teach, first I see point and that is that the hands get to the launch point early with these guys. The great ones hands get to their launch point as the rear hip is firing. I think to a fault we spend a lot of time on getting the back hip to turn ahead of the hands and I don't think I was looking at the timing of the upper body load.

I think this is critical stuff out there people. My big boy was launching some shots today outhitting everyone in his group, including HS kids. But we can get much better, and we have time, and many sets of eyes.

Now you asked if I slowed my clips down. As looked at the Kent/Manny clips and nearly ever non-slo-motion clip I've taken from TV or the MLB site was 25 FPS. I honestly wonder if I should match up with the MLB clips and use 25 FPS because they do look a little quicker.

-----------25 FPS-------------------------30 FPS----------------

Here is another:

-----------25 FPS-------------------------30 FPS----------------

Comment

The great ones hands get to their launch point as the rear hip is firing.
                          Pronk - this is something that gets overlooked. You have to be ready on time.
                          "Tip it and rip it" - In Memory of Dmac
                          "Hit the inside seam" - In Memory of Swingbuster

Comment

good hand pivot makes where the hands need to be/when somewhat forgiving/adjustable.

Comment

Quickie update. There is probably an interim here where I didn't take a clip that I should have be he was not contacting the baseball very well. A lot of pop ups and grounders in BP. Then I realized his hands were pretty damn high so the purpose of tonight was simply to start from a lower hand set.

He is still getting to his load earlier but the release into the baseball is 100 times better. Yesterday out of 50 bp balls or so maybe 10 were tagged. Tonight more like 200 balls with 160 tagged.

He has a couple of mashing teammates who are also 11 that play for me. These are the two top power hitters in the league, and he wants to keep up and hit homers. He's close but because he's not as strong, and these things pointed out in this thread will have to be perfect. Patience is not his strong suit unlike my #1 son. The reason I say that is he's really using a big linear push in most of the clips trying to belt that dinger. Anyway the lowered hands were a big help.

So reduce linear movement and delay the hands a bit longer...

This one here I liked better. It would appear the shorter stride allowed this thought of hands moving opposite of the lower, or resisting right up until GO to be closer to the bonds/kent clips above..

Last edited by Pronk; 03-07-2009, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pronk View Post
                                Quickie update. There is probably an interim here where I didn't take a clip that I should have be he was not contacting the baseball very well. A lot of pop ups and grounders in BP. Then I realized his hands were pretty damn high so the purpose of tonight was simply to start from a lower hand set.

He is still getting to his load earlier but the release into the baseball is 100 times better. Yesterday out of 50 bp balls or so maybe 10 were tagged. Tonight more like 200 balls with 160 tagged.

He has a couple of mashing teammates who are also 11 that play for me. These are the two top power hitters in the league, and he wants to keep up and hit homers. He's close but because he's not as strong, and these things pointed out in this thread will have to be perfect. Patience is not his strong suit unlike my #1 son. The reason I say that is he's really using a big linear push in most of the clips trying to belt that dinger. Anyway the lowered hands were a big help.

So reduce linear movement and delay the hands a bit longer...

This one here I liked better. It would appear the shorter stride allowed this thought of hands moving opposite of the lower, or resisting right up until GO to be closer to the bonds/kent clips above..

Awfully nice pronk..nice work!

Comment

Working...
                                X