Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

Mini-Pronk

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I agree with Stealth....Top hand off one arm drills are a very poor drill and teach an ultra bad habit that gets carried way down stream. See the hips 'spin"? Doing a one "arm"/ especially lead arm drill feeds "spin" like a malignate cancer.

I like your points in the link Rich but I see mini pronks issue being upstream from your point of emphasis. He isn't loading his hip. He merely begins to open it right away and he does so by using his lead knee and lead foot.

Loren hit it on the head with his comments. To expand what I see and feel in mini p isnt a load of the back hip. Sure he strides but that stride does not guarantee a proper load just because the lead foot comes off the ground. So in my opinion what I see is a young man working on stretch but having to gain the stretch with no load. In other words he is allowing the lower half to lead the upper half in the syncage. The front side lower half is vital when it comes to producing resistance.

I also agree with Tom that a open knee doesnt mean leakage but we must call leakage bleeding when that is what it is.
    The HANDS and the HIPS DRIVE the Swing! The SHOULDERS are along for the ride.

Comment

• Builder are you only looking at the side by side or did you open the .mov file where Rich was talking to him also?

In any case I need you to expound because I don't see what you see. Are you saying the problem is further upstream from this? He's turning from a weighted back leg here and the direction of the back knee is similar to what I see in the MLB swing, as opposed to the yeager shift and throw type transfer. Do you mean a better sit? The unload here seems to be correct but it it sounds you say (despite not flaring) there is still a bleeding, so this can be a good teaching moment for everyone.

Comment

• This particular clip to this point is fine and actually good....BUT, let the clip finish. I watched the .mov and lsitened to Rich as I said I liked his points.
        The HANDS and the HIPS DRIVE the Swing! The SHOULDERS are along for the ride.

Comment

• Originally posted by swingbuilder View Post
          This particular clip to this point is fine and actually good....BUT, let the clip finish. I watched the .mov and lsitened to Rich as I said I liked his points.
          It's finished a few posts up, I was just trying to isolate the hip thrust part of the clip.

Comment

• I don't know if we've taken a single swing since the clinic (older son only). He is just in a different mode right now. Lifting starts at 6:30 before school, (two days a week), and then plays 99% of the freshman games Thursday (both ways) followed by about 50% of the JV game either Friday or Saturday. Since practices run almost until 6:00, it makes for a long week, and he just needs another 6 weeks away. I might still have him do some bucket tossing.

Cosmo if you are reading, you seem to be into the fitness stuff, do I tell him that Rice Digs will also allow him that last little forearm strength to toss aside blockers? (so we get it ready for baseball). Plays OT/DT, and I don't think he's very good, but his coaches are telling him he's made a lot of improvement (It's true he's gone from stink, to well we are stuck playing you and you aren't embarrassing us). He really is a pretty good blocker at this point, but I wish he could get off the block a tad sooner on D, and we've talked about it. He was a 1/2 step late on at least 3 sacks the other night. Just a little burst and he could be a beast, but I don't know if that is in his nature. Needs more rope jumping and dot drills.

Last edited by Pronk; 10-03-2009, 01:58 AM.

Comment

• ABSOLUTELY!!!!

There are two ways to be a great lineman below the college level. Be fat and lean on the other guy until he gets tired, or have some tough and strong hands to grab the other guy and toss him, pull him, tackle him... whatever is needed.

Rice digs are great for building hand/wrist/grip/finger strength, but they are also great for hand health. They will better sustain the pounding the hands take in football, and especially in the trenches. I would get some grippers if possible, and have him do some plate holds as well (can do a single 45, or stack 5s or 10s) to really develop some great all around hand strength. Do that 2-3 times a week if he has the energy.

I've got some stuff for Dlinemen to do for quickness and how to control/shed blockers, and you can PM me if you want, or I can post them here. Don't wanna clutter up the thread too much.

Comment

• Cosmo, more on this privately. We are a small christian school who plays up a division competitively (Brian Sipe was coach until this year) so they really put the kids through a great athletic program (Google Doug Hix), and it's so much cheaper than going to Velocity Sports or something. $300 for the year, and because Doug trains some of his NFL clients at the site, I think the kids get a break. Velocity runs more like $300/month. This hand stuff, and dot drills and rope jumping I want him to do to get an edge since everyone else is going through the drills.

Comment

• Sounds good. PM when ready

Edit- meant PM me all his stats (height, weight, experience, how often he plays at what spot, etc..) Don't want to give him bad info or a workout program that is possibly injurous. And whatever he currently is doing will be a big help.
                  Last edited by cosmo34; 10-04-2009, 01:48 AM.

Comment

• I guess I'll give an update mostly to show that these things are always a work in progress. You think you have one thing nailed and either you forget something or just need to work on something new.

Little guy had our two deepest balls hit the other night, a 2B and 3B. If minilaker had the exact same hits with his speed it would have been 3B and HR. I don't have a clip of the double, but the clip on the right is the triple.

I used his clip from Saturday where he plays on his 7th grade team from 54 feet. travel for 12's is only 50 so when he plays up he seems to really get down early. I think when LL starts I am shutting down the 13U school team because getting in the box at 46 vs. 54 might not help much.

Thanks to Laker for getting this taped. The left clip I taped Saturday.

Next goal of course is to get "one" with separation. Delay the hands loading.

But what I want you to see is that Sunday we looked at A-rod sending the bat on auto-pilot, and only spoke of forearms must turn. So in many respects the swings look the same. But the sunday clip he is turning the bat with his hands. Saturday he is lining up swing plane with the arms, and then torques the bat (late). So as you guys work on this or that don't let them forget to swivel or send the barrel on autopilot.

Also from an "arm action" setup, it looks like Beckham might be a good model though beckham ultimately comes up to lauch, whereas little pronk goes down.

Comment

• This kid is gonna rake when he gets older.
                      "Tip it and rip it" - In Memory of Dmac
                      "Hit the inside seam" - In Memory of Swingbuster

Comment

• Time to move John to 3rd or 4th in the batting order

Comment

• Originally posted by mightylakers View Post
                          Time to move John to 3rd or 4th in the batting order
                          Manager too cautious about "daddy-ball"...

I had a bigger one that showed ball-flight, but I snipped because the fence posts were in the way.

Comment

• great looking swing !

does he load the hands more longer if you try a walkup (step behing/karaoke footwork) drill ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pronk View Post
                              Manager too cautious about "daddy-ball"...

I had a bigger one that showed ball-flight, but I snipped because the fence posts were in the way.

I was jumping all over Gary after first AB at dugout for him pulling his head away, otherwise I would have taped John's first hit also

Comment

• Originally posted by tom.guerry View Post
                                great looking swing !

does he load the hands more longer if you try a walkup (step behing/karaoke footwork) drill ?
                                Might be a good time to try that out. I haven't been doing any tee work with him for around a month or two?

Comment

Working...
                                X