Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

Mini-Pronk

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yankeefan View Post

As he is moving out his back knee is opening to the catcher. Does he do this on every swing?
    Well I don't see it in the practice swings but you caught onto what I driving at in the thread above. It's something I have to watch for, and certainly something we've worked on avoiding originally by having a little angle in the back foot like Giles or Luis G. It's probably been close to 4 weeks but we stared at that quite a bit (knee going wrong way)

Comment

Originally posted by Pronk View Post
      Well I don't see it in the practice swings but you caught onto what I driving at in the thread above. It's something I have to watch for, and certainly something we've worked on avoiding originally by having a little angle in the back foot like Giles or Luis G. It's probably been close to 4 weeks but we stared at that quite a bit (knee going wrong way)
      Pronk,

I don't think I would be to concerned with the knee moving back, as much as the fact that he seems to get directly over his rear foot.

He stays over the rear foot. IMO he needs to stride with his rear hip. Right now he appears to reach out with the front foot, trying not to break the ice.

Look at ARods rear knee.

"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."

- Willie Stargell

Comment

Originally posted by HYP View Post
        Pronk,

I don't think I would be to concerned with the knee moving back, as much as the fact that he seems to get directly over his rear foot.

He stays over the rear foot. IMO he needs to stride with his rear hip. Right now he appears to reach out with the front foot, trying not to break the ice.

Look at ARods rear knee.
        I can see that (the reach out instead of stride with hip). Seems more of a game swing issue at this point but we'll watch it. I am fine with the lower half on today's swing a little cock of the hips, and a pretty quick move, but he seems to make it work. I do want them to see the head kind of aligned over the back hip a bit, but when it's over the foot you do have to transfer more. (I mean like this) -> He's finishing similar in terms of head over back leg, but not starting the same. Maybe just widen up a little.

Comment

I'm short on time, but I like the clips in black. Rear hip action is good. Syncing is better.

I'll take a deeper look later.

And I'm really happy to see progress on this lower body syncage.

It isn't as hard as people make it out to be. Most already do it when they throw.

In fact, it's relatively simple. I think people think it is something difficult that takes time to learn.

I don't believe that.

Comment

Sherpa filmed a practice session we had around 2 weeks ago and sent this to me. Right before this swing I told him for the hell of it "swing down it". FWIW he doesn't really like that and prefers turn the vault handle.

Comment

Sherpa filmed a practice session we had around 2 weeks ago and sent this to me. Right before this swing I told him for the hell of it "swing down it". FWIW he doesn't really like that and prefers turn the vault handle.

Look at the kid in the back saying "wow I wish I could do that!"

Comment

Pronk.....you're the man.

Every clip I see coming out of Encinitas is making me smile.

Your 'swing' quest is now becoming a 'hit' quest. And that is much more fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Teacherman View Post
                  Pronk.....you're the man.

Every clip I see coming out of Encinitas is making me smile.

Your 'swing' quest is now becoming a 'hit' quest. And that is much more fun.
                  Let's hope the hits follow. Avg. is good, but I'd like to see a few more doubles. The tough one is the patient hitter that draws the walk after fouling off a couple pitches with guys on 2nd and 3rd - 2 out. Next kid goes down, you think uggg, I'd have love to have seen one of those foul balls roped fair. Part of the game though and we don't them swinging at bad pitches.

Nice to a visual every now and then to check progress. Should check against a year old swing, but here goes.

Comment

ok, update on younger. Very tough day at the plate. At some point the season he decided he likes being pre-loaded better. It was ok for a while but lately he's been off. Faced best pitcher in league today struck out 2 times off of him. Fouled off balls but he has a real problem with the lead arm "disconnecting" or pushing towards the plate. I think the reason is the all back all forward. Rear hip never really gets loaded and it certainly doesn't get ahead of the hips. Short of an upcoming skype I'll probably try to find a guy who is 95% loaded and show him how the hands must not go with the lower body. They need to resist somewhere even if it's a slight lift of the hands. Also one more thing with this "disconnect or push" is that he seems totally unable to realize how steeply diagonal his swing is. In BP before the game he squared up maybe 3 out of 20 balls. Everything tipped or weak flares getting under it. Very late in the process he seems to get the hands really active and the bat doesn't get on plane.

Anyway tough angle but it's all I have... I liked some of Lclifton's ideas from the other thread tonight. Staying back...

Comment

I like what I see in the last clip-just chased a bad pitch.
                      Originally posted by HiddenGem
                      Mark H, is a retard..plain and simple. He doesn't know the first thing about swinging a bat, and his video analyisis is pathetic at best. God help the poor souls that take any advice from that clown.

Comment

Was this a LL game and the "best pitcher" throwing from 46ft? Looks like it - if so it can be tough facing a guy from that distance. Put Mini-pronk on a larger field (50/70) and I bet he owns that pitcher!
                        "Tip it and rip it" - In Memory of Dmac
                        "Hit the inside seam" - In Memory of Swingbuster

Comment

Originally posted by Stealth View Post
                          Was this a LL game and the "best pitcher" throwing from 46ft? Looks like it - if so it can be tough facing a guy from that distance. Put Mini-pronk on a larger field (50/70) and I bet he owns that pitcher!
                          Definitely can't afford to chase the high cheese on that kid. Now this kid's strength was he throws fairly hard for an 11 but his accuracy on the outside corner is damn good and yesterday in the title game we got one of those umps that calls that 6 foot off the plate strike. That kind of thing makes him deadly because as a coach even though I HATE these dicks with wide strike zones, I try to get the kids to adjust and at least foul one off out there. So they do get a little amped up about protecting the outside and he'll sneak in a high fastball.

Comment

Updates:
                            LL team in "Tournament of Champions" against other League champs in our district. The district is pretty tough as the high schools we feed are consistently the best in the big school division down here. First two games won 12-11 (4 home runs) and 9-2 (2 homers). Team with all post-season is now 23-4 with 51 home runs. Yea-yea I know LL fence short, blah-blah, f-that we still get the kids amped and ready to mash. It's been a blast watching these kids, as we've shattered the home run record for our league. Little Pronk is sidelined with a cast on the broken pinky, and he's our #2 or #3 pitcher so it stinks not having him (he is so sad right now) but as long as we outhit the other team we'll survive.

Mini-Pronk is playing on the summer Varsity team and is looking very impressive as he'll start 9th grade this fall. First game a bases loaded walk and did a fantastic job of GO-GO-NO to hold up on balls just out of zone. Text book at-bat, but his only AB the first game. Second game he started and managed to smash one up the middle against the hardest thrower he's faced. Hit the pitcher's follow through foot with a line drive that still made it to CF in the air despite hitting his foot. Then walked and got caught stealing as he's got to pick it up to steal at 90. Finally a nice single with the bases loaded for two RBIs. So far 4 appearances, 2 walks, 2 hits, 3 RBIs so it can only go downhill from here. The encouraging thing for him was that only one returning varsity player got a hit that first kid who was apparently throwing gas. I am not sure he'll get Varsity time or not next spring but if he keeps up the hitting, he may have to. Last year we had three super-frosh, one who touches 90 (and 6'4" Builder) an all-county SS and another tough one. Those three led the team in hitting, so if mini (who is not at their levels yet) keeps hitting the coach doesn't mind playing freshman.

I'll try to get some film this Monday, as I want to see how it looks. The first game I was able to attend and it was the first time I'd seen him bat in quite some time where I wasn't the 3B coach and thought damn he looks kind of intimidating up there, just ready to mash. Let's see what the camera says...

Comment

Updates:
                              LL team in "Tournament of Champions" against other League champs in our district. The district is pretty tough as the high schools we feed are consistently the best in the big school division down here. First two games won 12-11 (4 home runs) and 9-2 (2 homers). Team with all post-season is now 23-4 with 51 home runs. Yea-yea I know LL fence short, blah-blah, f-that we still get the kids amped and ready to mash. It's been a blast watching these kids, as we've shattered the home run record for our league. Little Pronk is sidelined with a cast on the broken pinky, and he's our #2 or #3 pitcher so it stinks not having him (he is so sad right now) but as long as we outhit the other team we'll survive.

Mini-Pronk is playing on the summer Varsity team and is looking very impressive as he'll start 9th grade this fall. First game a bases loaded walk and did a fantastic job of GO-GO-NO to hold up on balls just out of zone. Text book at-bat, but his only AB the first game. Second game he started and managed to smash one up the middle against the hardest thrower he's faced. Hit the pitcher's follow through foot with a line drive that still made it to CF in the air despite hitting his foot. Then walked and got caught stealing as he's got to pick it up to steal at 90. Finally a nice single with the bases loaded for two RBIs. So far 4 appearances, 2 walks, 2 hits, 3 RBIs so it can only go downhill from here. The encouraging thing for him was that only one returning varsity player got a hit that first kid who was apparently throwing gas. I am not sure he'll get Varsity time or not next spring but if he keeps up the hitting, he may have to. Last year we had three super-frosh, one who touches 90 (and 6'4" Builder) an all-county SS and another tough one. Those three led the team in hitting, so if mini (who is not at their levels yet) keeps hitting the coach doesn't mind playing freshman.

I'll try to get some film this Monday, as I want to see how it looks. The first game I was able to attend and it was the first time I'd seen him bat in quite some time where I wasn't the 3B coach and thought damn he looks kind of intimidating up there, just ready to mash. Let's see what the camera says...
                              Good stuff Pronk. Thats a lot of HR's for a LL team - must be the coaching!
                              "Tip it and rip it" - In Memory of Dmac
                              "Hit the inside seam" - In Memory of Swingbuster

Comment

Game swing time... Unfortunately momma missed the 3rd AB as he hit the first pitch (they claim) about 310 to dead center but was caught. They had 4 freshman up there today and he was the only one to make contact. So anyway I don't have the long out, but was 1-3 with another RBI. Still a tough out it seems.

The first swing was a fielders choice hit hard to SS. This kid stymied most of the lineup and was bringing some heat according to momma-pronk

This was one our first run scored in the game a nice liner to CF.

And of course we missed the far hit but it was an out. Still that's an out you live with.... He's really getting into it right now... Football lifting starts this week (speed/weights 2 hours per day 4 days per week) so I might let him work through some muscle soreness before taking the next clip. Then again he might not get too sore they are young.

Comment

Working...
                                X