Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

Mighty-Pronk

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another double yesterday, he whacked this one good. I was a little bummed he's the only kid who has an extra base hit and maybe a hit at all in the game. (walked in 3rd on 4 straight think they were tired of pitching to him he did this last time). Comes up in 5th down 5-1 we get runners on 1st-2nd nobody out. Yep, the dreaded Sac Bunt. Next closest kid on team only has two doubles this fall, (John up to 6). Also double the RBIs as anyone else, I say he's reached the point of just have him swing. Let the other kids bunt.

As much as it pains people to be wrong, who've made predictions about the athletes at our school, this guy, might be the one who replaces Steven's production. Another kid built more like Steven was who coach felt was going to be that guy, but I am not sure he's very inconsistent, and has a pretty low avg with a lot of K's in these fall games against upgraded competition. He shows signs of it, but then really struggles at times. As I mentioned, to the coach, Steven was usually creating havoc even when making an out it was a hard catch or someone getting in front of a smashed grounder. Not nearly as many pop ups and k's so I want to see this other kid get more consistent before we crown him. No doubt the kid's a bigger prospect he's a sub 7.0 60 throwing 87 from the OF, he'll get D1 offers. It's a numbers game and he not only has good measurables he is out there getting seen more. But the swing is long. No back leg winning, no stretch and fire. FAST powerful arms on a 6'3" 205 lb. frame, but doesn't clear the path for the barrel and hands like John is learning. And remember John definitely leads the team in deep line drive outs, so the hard hitting has been across the at-bats. Consistent. The doubles aren't lucky, it's more like if you keep smashing balls deep they are going to find holes.

Maybe this gif shows up? He three pops in the wood tournament sunday and was pissed. Had Steven hit with him while I was out. Steven said you are moving the arms too much. Get them kind of where you want to swing from, so that only the hands are really moving the bat around. Sound advice.

Saturday he doubled, and tripled. This was on Astros spring training facility so the fences were deeper, so it might be the farthest he's hit a ball or for sure the farthest with wood. We were down 1-0 in the bottom 6th, this triple got us the lead and in the drivers seat for the tournament. Off the bat I thought it was a sac fly until I looked up and saw the LF turn and run. Wood bat a lot of teams play more shallow to catch the weak pops is all I can figure but this thing was crushed.

Comment

• Sorry I'm late Pronk. Busy weekend then website problems yesterday.

He shows steady improvement. He is getting it....for sure. He's creating a new feel.....by doing new things. Momentum is much better controlled. Still out front a bit....but not in a push way. Barrel turning and SnF are happening. I would 'sneak in' a direction change....similar to what we discussed with mikecon. Basically the attack oppo approach. Tighten him up. Scap can hold better. The more he gets 'back/around'....while keeping two eyes on the pitcher and not counter-rotating....the better he will hit.

And that becomes scary.

But....don't do anything he's not ready for. Make a suggestion now....let him tell you if he's ready for instruction....or if he'll 'teenager it'. (discover it on his own after being prompted)

Good progress.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teacherman View Post
        Sorry I'm late Pronk. Busy weekend then website problems yesterday.

He shows steady improvement. He is getting it....for sure. He's creating a new feel.....by doing new things. Momentum is much better controlled. Still out front a bit....but not in a push way. Barrel turning and SnF are happening. I would 'sneak in' a direction change....similar to what we discussed with mikecon. Basically the attack oppo approach. Tighten him up. Scap can hold better. The more he gets 'back/around'....while keeping two eyes on the pitcher and not counter-rotating....the better he will hit.

And that becomes scary.

But....don't do anything he's not ready for. Make a suggestion now....let him tell you if he's ready for instruction....or if he'll 'teenager it'. (discover it on his own after being prompted)

Good progress.
        Oh man, voice of experience right there re the finesse that it can take to 'teach' when they don't want to be taught. If I had a nickel for every time I heard, "PLEASE don't talk to me while I'm hitting!" in a pre-game BP, and the eye-rolling and over-dramatic body-language of exasperation in the cage during the week when he's not in the right frame of mind. Remember when they were 6 and 7 and 8 and would do anything you told them just to make you happy???

Teach, regarding the 'depth' of "back/around" and how it relates to the hands in space... From the pitchers-eye-view, IYO, ideally, how 'hidden' should the hands get? Not? Partially? Completely but just? As far as possible while still at 'point of shoulder' with two eyes on pitcher? ...?

Comment

• John's 'frame' looks like it projects pretty well. What do they say the tale of his tape will be when he's 18?

Comment

• Hand location isn't absolute. Hamilton's out toward the plate. Adrian's are back behind.

Scap/back pull back....stretch....is absolute.

I can pull back to get 'behind' and my hands not move much at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teacherman View Post
              Hand location isn't absolute. Hamilton's out toward the plate. Adrian's are back behind.

Scap/back pull back....stretch....is absolute.

I can pull back to get 'behind' and my hands not move much at all.
              Yes, I know videos show much variation; it's why I was curious as to 'your opinion' of 'ideal'. I also get your point that the hands' location are not necessarily an indicator of pull-backs.

I ask because I'm trying to establish a 'landmark' -- a 'checkpoint' -- to help Matt get to a consistent 'depth' of "Scap/back pull back....stretch" every time. I guess we have to keep working and correlating results to determine what his 'personal' landmark(s) ought to be. (And maybe nothing on the surface will ever clearly show the extent/depth of "Scap/back pull back....stretch", huh? (Until after swing execution, of course, when we see what is or is not whipping around what is or is not a corner))

Comment

• My suggestion would be to load the hands....then set them. Load the hands/forearms.....then pull back.

Comment

• Return from the dead.

Son #2 - Fancies himself a Quarterback apparently, though he's never played football. We actually had some UCF guys over (one is a GA and the other 2012 grad) to evaluate the older one to give us an idea if he could walk on there he's gotten ridiculously strong. (since when did we become a football family??) Anyway, I told them, the young-un is thinking about playing football his Sr. year and since he's never has played, maybe they could teach him a little WR, or maybe TE. The guy (ex-UCF QB who switched to WR) said I could teach WR in a day, you pitch right? You, look like a QB let's work on that. Started working with him and damned if he doesn't throw a pretty mean ball. The zip on it compared to my ball or Steven's is way harder. Our QB at the school transferred and really if the young-un decides to do this I am not sure he wouldn't have just beat out the old starter anyway. I taught him the triple option already he can't go wrong...

One cool thing is it's like the boys are 6 and 9 again playing football in the backyard again. Every Saturday we are out there, Son #1 running patterns, Son#2 QB, and me trying to cover or blitz. (I lost 85 lbs. last year). I am still not down to stud level, but looking good.

Game 1, technically exhibition game against a local 8A public school. Ripped one Deep, and the 2nd one you see got caught. Also 1 scoreless inning pitching. He's a solid 6'5" now and still not quite 180, but he's very strong despite his slender frame (thanks to big brother).

Comment

• Last night, smashed another one deep this time to LCF, the deepest part of the field (winds out to 380). Very stiff breeze in his face or he might get this one out. What I like is this. I see him largely getting the Sprint started at 4 seconds. I say that because to me it looks like the right foot is planted in front of home plate as the clock is 4 seconds, and he definitely hits the bag before 12. I don't know what his 60 is, but a double isn't exactly a straight line, I've told him that being able to play at the SAME speed you run your 60 is key. The kid who runs a 6.7 but doesn't have a lot of skill could be a risk. Later in the game, he hit a high fly to RCF, and in the windy conditions the CF ended up dropping the ball, he never broke stride and got to 2B. Got over to 3rd on bunt, and Sac Fly got us the 2-1 lead and that was the final. So his speed is starting to pick up (he also was Sac'd to 3B after the double). This team went very deep (elite 8) in Florida 7A state playoffs last year so it was a quality arm, and opponent.

Another quality opponent Thursday, and Friday night we play a team supposedly nationally ranked 4th although I can't confirm that. (First Academy). Looks like they saved one of the two big gun lefties for us assuming no injuries. One is committed to uVA and the other is likely a high draft pick. I don't think the kid has faced 90+ yet, he's hit kids who were supposed 90+ kids but I think that day the kids were more 87-88 MPH.

Comment

• Love the clips. Progress is steady. That sound off the bat is nice.

Freezing winter here. You're playing baseball there. Clips keep me sane.

Comment

• Big John having a great year. Right now after 16 games he's at .388 with 7 doubles, 2 triples and 1 homer. He is near the top of the max prep stats in his division for doubles rbis, and triples. I guess by extension, would be at the top for extra base hits in general. He was on JV most of last year, and was the only kid to move up and crack the lineup. On our team he's 3rd in Avg., 2nd in extra base hits and 1st in RBIs. The kid ahead of him in extra base hits once played with our own Kason when they were young.

Sherpa will remember this guy, but Big Papi, from the hitting clinic flew into Orlando yesterday from San Diego. Caught the rush hour traffic and didn't get to the game until the 5th inning. John was already 2-2 in the game I wasn't sure he had another hit in him. This guy coached 1B with me for 150 games or so, huge guy as Teach can attest, he used to do stuff like highland games for fun. Anyway he yells at the kid before the inning....I didn't catch a 6:30 flight from SD to watch you strike out. No pressure at all. Anyway first pitch John delivers into a very strong wind in his face. Got it right over the CF's head.

I have not updated his page in a couple of weeks, but had to put this one up quickly for the Facebook friends in Encinitas.

Comment

• A couple of weeks back he was facing a kid who was throwing gas. Totally dominated the lineup the first time through the farthest a ball was hit was a tapper back to him. He's a UCF commit from the Orlando Scorpions.

In the 3rd inning he he hit a guy, we bunted, and he threw to 2nd for the force and the player dropped it. Then he hit a guy, so a bit of luck for john to come up with the bases loaded. Anyway that first one busted up the no hitter and 0-0 tie. Interesting when you watch the slo motion was surprised he hit the ball so far with the way he pulled the hands in. Still got the barrel to it squarely. That was a 5 RBI game actually.

Comment

• About three weeks back we'd lost our first district game 4-1. Came back home for a rematch Friday night and he did something Steven actually never did, hit a HR on our field.

This was the game coach moved him to the 4-hole and moved him to LF off of 1B. Those first 4 games at cleanup he had 13 RBIs.

Comment

• Really....REALLY.....SWEEEEET.

He's found his rear hip that's for sure.

Fun to watch. Chills.

Comment

• Compare the new rear hip action to this swing from just a bit over a year ago....

Comment

Working...
                                X