Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

Mighty-Pronk

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mighty-Pronk

Today was a big fund raiser for the league where they had a home run derby at opening day for the first time. Raised a ton of dough and since we raised the most we get a Padre game in a limo. Also the Indians hit more homers than all the other teams combined. However we didn't take the individual title, it went to SD Clinic hitter Julian with 6. Incidentally Jake a clinic guy hit 4. I would have thought we'd have seen a lot more bombs because they drew circle lines on the field at 180. However it was bitter cold for SD, and I guess machine pitches don't always work as well as a dad pitching. The whole point was to raise money so they wanted more homers (more balls cost more $$$).

John hit 4 homers. It's funny he was pressing because he missed on his first 7, and finished with 4 out of 15. We had 4 kids with 4, one with 5, and a couple with 2. Winner hit 6. Like I said I would have thought there would be more, and mightylakers knows how hard these kids hit. (Jose--Chano hit 5, and DP hit 5 mighty).

Anyway it was fun and I finally got some clips again. In the first two games this week John was 3-5 against the top 3 pitchers in the league (at least the ones not on our team). Julian, Dusty (clinic), and Jose. He hit an 0-2 off of Jose to drive in two runs and break a 0-0 stalemate the other night, so his timing right now is good despite looking non-athletic while waiting on the pitch. Also an 0-2 double on a curve ball off of Julian (RCF fence). I can't film those games when Steven is busy.

So these home run derby swings are all I have right now and I am not sure how much stock to put in them, as he clearly changed up a couple things even with the 4 swings you see here. I do see the weight getting on the back side of the foot (see slippage or knee slipping towards catcher) so we need to get that resistance in the back leg reviewed.

However this is where I'll track him from here out. These are in order. Number 1 was a bit of shoulder spin. Number 2 was crushed.

3 and 4... #3 on the left was the only one that would not be a home run on our regular field because of the height of the fence (see the trajectory) but the fact that it carried so far was testament to getting the barrel to it. #4 went a lot farther than it might have looked.

Ahh crap I forgot one thing.

One unusual thing happened at the derby today. Clinic hitter Trey was a mess and kept getting up on the front leg, but he is now starting to come around and get into the stuff. He just has difficulty applying.

He about killed Julian the other night night with a ball hit so hard it was head high going by the pitcher and finally climbed high enough to clear for a HR. MiniLakers was nearly de-skulled by him down at 3B in a travel game. I know this isn't an HI approved swing but the kid is starting to try.

Teach this is a special case for you, maybe we should setup his private side, but you really wanted to reach the kid. He is big, about 5'-7" or so, size 12s and dad is a moose so I doubt it's all early bloomer. Anyway this kid blasted one of his balls over the fence at Ecke and the power alley is around 305? Had to hit this ball 320. I've coached at 12U now for 5 years I just do not see kids hit a baseball this damn hard. Maybe he is an early developer guy, but is there a good technical explanation for the distance this ball was hit.

GUP or Rich can you convert I did WMV for his dad to share with people but it does no good here.

http://coachdm.hittingillustrated.co...rey315.avi.WMV

Comment

Comment

Tell John that I see great things down the road for him.....and that I expect him to believe it......NOW.

Nice kid. I want him to know that he knows that he knows.

Trey is trying.....I can see it.

How did Julian look? Was anything sticking with him? Or has he changed?

Same questions for Dusty.

Comment

Originally posted by GroundUp View Post
          Trey has made some real progress here!

Comment

Originally posted by mightylakers View Post
            Trey has made some real progress here!
            For those that don't know (I probably have a clip), but mighty can confirm he used to lean way back over the back foot and angle the bat the wrong way, so yes he's come a long way, and like I said his power at this age is highly unusual. He's working but much harder to "get into this" stuff.

I unfortunately did not get clips of Jake or Julian. Dusty is on their team and didn't participate in the Derby. It's interesting because their team beat mine (both teams are far and away most talented) and dusty's dad was sitting over on our side with my wife saying, "wow it's all Doug's basher kids doing all the hitting this game" which was basically the case. The next game we shut out a team 12-0 and the only real smash all game was a kid who didn't come to the clinic but hit with mightylakers and I 3-4 weeks in a row (Spencer).

So the HI influenced kids kicking butt right now (even if not a clinic kid).

Comment

Originally posted by Pronk View Post
              For those that don't know (I probably have a clip), but mighty can confirm he used to lean way back over the back foot and angle the bat the wrong way, so yes he's come a long way, and like I said his power at this age is highly unusual. He's working but much harder to "get into this" stuff.

I unfortunately did not get clips of Jake or Julian. Dusty is on their team and didn't participate in the Derby. It's interesting because their team beat mine (both teams are far and away most talented) and dusty's dad was sitting over on our side with my wife saying, "wow it's all Doug's basher kids doing all the hitting this game" which was basically the case. The next game we shut out a team 12-0 and the only real smash all game was a kid who didn't come to the clinic but hit with mightylakers and I 3-4 weeks in a row (Spencer).

So the HI influenced kids kicking butt right now (even if not a clinic kid).
              Wait, Conner ? He's at the clinic also!

Comment

So I guess all the SD clinic kids did well! Great job!

Comment

and I guess machine pitches don't always work as well as a dad pitching. The whole point was to raise money so they wanted more homers (more balls cost more $$$).

John hit 4 homers. It's funny he was pressing because he missed on his first 7, and finished with 4 out of 15. We had 4 kids with 4, one with 5, and a couple with 2. Winner hit 6. Like I said I would have thought there would be more, and mightylakers knows how hard these kids hit. (Jose--Chano hit 5, and DP hit 5 mighty).
                  Funny you mention this. Gary is a machine killer. You should've invited him over and he will raise tone of money for you

Comment

Wait, Conner ? He's at the clinic also!
                    Solana Beach LL...

Comment

You know why Julian won? He hit against machine all the time because no fear players can use big fly cages a lot.

Comment

You know why Julian won? He hit against machine all the time because no fear players can use big fly cages a lot.
                        Will hit 4 homers does he use the machines up there? John almost never hits against a machine which is why he did nothing for the first 7 balls, and hit 4 of the next 8 out. (clearly needed some looks). This was an usual power output for Will who has so far been terrified in the box against Jose/Julian/Dusty. (Dusty was nasty BTW from 46).

Comment

Mondays & Thursdays are worknights but I have a Bye (don't tell Builder I'm doing 4 gms/week Slo Pitch) Tues 3/23, so I'll ENLL-Angels vs. MJ-Indians, and the Indians (finally) have a saturday (if I remember to go to park dale lane) 3/27
                          I have nuttin that tues more fun than checkin out

THE 2010 INDIANS !!!!!

PRONK ROCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and Johnathan !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LRS
                          GOING BALLISTIC!!!

Comment

Incidentally the official results were tallied and I completely forgot to factor in that home plate was moved back about 15 feet. The actual distance on this ball was measured 343 feet. Again I haven't seen any 12's hitting balls that far, I am sure they exist, but it's pretty rare nonetheless. If we can get mighty pronk a little more scary by the end of the year I can't wait for all-stars.

Comment

Incidentally the official results were tallied and I completely forgot to factor in that home plate was moved back about 15 feet. The actual distance on this ball was measured 343 feet. Again I haven't seen any 12's hitting balls that far, I am sure they exist, but it's pretty rare nonetheless. If we can get mighty pronk a little more scary by the end of the year I can't wait for all-stars.
                              Is your game today still on? Our game is canceled. P2 is under the water now.

Comment

Working...
                              X