Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

Mighty-Pronk

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teacherman View Post
    There is a significant change for the good in weight distribution in this clip over the previous recent swings.
    Not a great excuse but the pitcher was very slow as the team we played was just short for whatever reason, maybe their regular pitchers were playing basketball or something or just not there for a fall game. I lost the clip but one of our guys went out to pitch against us who throws more in the 81-82 range and contact was deeper but I can't find my clip. In any case I think we can add some lateral tilt now with a small adjustment that's going to be the experiment. The inspiration for this was a clip I just made the other night I found on youtube. So much good in this baby....

Comment

• One of the things I am really into is the ball flight off the bat. Most kids understand where the ball should go based on the location, height etc. of the pitch. If you asked John were he to get this pitch again where would he want to hit it. I would bet he would say "over the fence" - point being when working off the tee good athletes can figure out what their body needs to do to "get the ball in the air" - you must tilt as you say. The Reggie clip shows it perfectly. When you warm up off the tee and soft toss don't let him get away with not hitting the ball where it should go, watch the trajectory always. Very important!

With lots of reps he will be able to take into a game environment. I have always liked John's swing/potential. He just seems like a hitter.
      "Tip it and rip it" - In Memory of Dmac
      "Hit the inside seam" - In Memory of Swingbuster

Comment

• John has been hurt with back pain and hasn't really been able to practice that much.

Frankly I was devastated that he's not starting, but our coach's philosophy is traditional baseball (#2 hitter bunts, etc.) Back in San Diego where we came from I spoke with a couple of coaches I am tight with and their philosophy is the best 9 hitters will be playing somehow some way. We don't play it that way apparently so John is the odd man out until his brother graduates. Now injuries and all that can change it but hell he has to get completely healthy too. Also he was the only kid besides Steven with two hits in the Blue-Black intrasquad game, so if he keeps smacking line drives he'll get his shot. Coach is a good guy and I understand his rationale, it's not my style, but it's his, and like I said he'll get his chances.

Last night he hit a double which my video is spotty though I suppose I could post it. He's not a poster child for HI mechanics and really I just don't post him that much because he struggles striding out of the fight in the hip socket. But he does have a nose for the ball. Has to be at least a full inch or two taller than Steven now. Anyway posting this because he smacked our best overall player right in the face (more overall baseball talent than Steven, Steven just tends to be more productive at the plate). I cut the film off because I was worried it looked bad. I guess he got the glove up in time to slightly deflect and was left with a lot of blood and a badly bruised chin-jaw but no concussion or broken bones in the face.

Comment

• Hmmm video didn't work. Let me see.

Comment

• LOOKS GREAT TO ME!!!!!!

Comment

• Well he isn't getting the classic HI leg winning thing as far as I can tell. Where he really struggles is the elbow does not get up and out of the way and his hand does that very same thing that I pointed out on the younger Stealth thread. On the double last light he got way out on the front foot, and his bottom hand ended up higher than the elbow at contact. I could post that if you don't know what I mean, but it's just something he battles. I gave him some pointers today but I want him to find it. He knows it, he'll watch these and go shoot, that isn't right.

Comment

• Alright Alli this is for you and anyone who struggles with this. (not saying you are, but I do sometimes post stuff that shows the stuff we need to fix so the new folks can see we are not all perfect). I wasn't going to post this (although it was smoked enough to get to the wall in LCF for a stand up double) because I was watching it live and apparently cut off his head but I digress.

When we look at a clip we sometimes like for the good things see things like
                - Head getting lowered/sat
                - having that move start the leg

Those things are not quote enough. I's just as important to do what teach posted a couple of posts up with the baseball/hip-socket demo. It has to slip over in such a way that the leg is starts through, and hips get moved with force. I think that is at the heart of the elbow issue, because I don't think it needs to be up super high, it just needs to get up and out of the way enough so the hands are free. That you don't have to pull the arm left to get the barrel to the ball. Clearly he knows where the barrel is and makes the adjustment. But watch about 2-3 frames before contact, watch the hands adjust upward and for a split second rise above the elbow.

I am fine with a feel of a hand pull, but not not lead arm pull. I call it pull because I don't thing the lead hand just sits in space, you are tearing the handle in two, and at some point the hands move forward. I think Stealth said somewhere when the hands get moving they'd better be going forward. My feel on that is that we are really only talking about from the elbow down. My front elbow should only move in so much as whatever is happening with the shoulders it is stuck following, I am not trying to move the upper arm to get it out of the way (or pulling). If the hands are to resist circular hand path, then to me any kind of forward movement towards the ball is from the elbow down. Otherwise its' a chicken-wing.

Oh the clip...

Comment

• I think you need to take a closer look at the new swing.

John

That is the best swing I've seen from him. I guess the bad news would be he reverted back when he hit the double.

Play the clip to foot plant and check out the position he achieves. In the past he would launch from a closed position. He got open this time. Watch his little hand action/barrel tip that is timed quite well to make this happen. A bit of rear side resistance and good things happen.

Pretty sudden launch.

He did it once. Ought to help him find it and repeat it.

Comment

• The first pitcher was our hardest thrower. The last one on the 2B it was this really slow kid that we throw out there sometimes to trip up good hitting teams. It's like every pitch is La-Lob or whatever it's soooo slow. So he kept gliding gliding. didn't stay back. I think it's coming. He used to launch with the elbow up and behind, and have to push, but I agree his leg gets through.

My thing teach was I told him you don't need a tremendous lateral tilt, but you need enough to get the elbow up out of the way and create the plain (Braun comes to mind).

It was exactly this time last year when mini-pronk said screw it, I am going to turn the foot to FORCE the back leg into that winning. Maybe I can get him to say screw it, let's do it. I know Stealth hated that turned in foot, but Steven's season largely hinged on getting that leg through.

Comment

I think you need to take a closer look at the new swing.

John

That is the best swing I've seen from him. I guess the bad news would be he reverted back when he hit the double.

Play the clip to foot plant and check out the position he achieves. In the past he would launch from a closed position. He got open this time. Watch his little hand action/barrel tip that is timed quite well to make this happen. A bit of rear side resistance and good things happen.

Pretty sudden launch.

He did it once. Ought to help him find it and repeat it.
                      I agree 100%.

Pronk really doesnt know what the hell he is looking at. All these years, he hasnt learned one thing. Too much BBF and blowing bubbles. He should get off his ass and start swinging and take just as much reps as his sons. His sons can teach him a thing or two,or three or one hundred.
                      Use your prescription glasses Buddy. If the swing was a shark, you would be missing half your ass already. What the hell were you thinking? Too much viewing Oleary's website has you blind as a bat.
                      And dont be thinking about "the move". I would fly to Florida and kick the other half of your ass that is not missing.
                      Get your head out of your ass (half of whats left) and start learning, will ya? Sheez.
                      Dont get me started with what the famous Florida College Football player would say to you.

All kidding aside, I think your son's have great swings. They have come a long way with your tutelage. You should be proud. I would be. Whether the balls are fast or slow, you sons can hit.

And yeah... what Teach said.

Comment

• Ahh hell Alli, I am on a computer all day (even if not on hitting sites all day). I am a troll at heart.

However with the lateral tilt, that line drive is going skyward...

Comment

• Mighty-Pronk coming around. It was interesting I usually hang out down where I can film, and since I help another kid with hitting they were told "do not talk to Mr. Miles during the game".

Apparently I forget my place during JV games and offer a tip whereas I usually dummy up in varsity. Anyway mighty, as is his wont, was struggling in early ABs and hit a couple wayyyyyyyy out front. I heard the other kid as they were NOT looking towards me say "well in theory if Mr. Miles could offer a tip what might he say (they were told to face field). Coach loves me, he just doesn't want me meddling during the game which I understand. Anyway I am looking right at a parent next to me not at the kids, and said loudly to the mom, "well if it were me, I would be trying to swing with my back and not go get it". This poor lady must have thought I was insane. I was expecting, OK, Mr. Miles, why are you telling me in an unusually loud voice to swing with my back, I don't swing.

I think he's coming around. I see the stripe in the pant disappear. He is now killing in the cage at home like Steven did when he first got it, and yet struggled getting it right in the game for a month or so that 10th grade season when I first came back and gave up the move. Takes time. The first step is getting it right in practice then it will come I just have to be patient. This was bases loaded in a close game he was pitching and blew it wide open.

Also he told me he wasn't tipping it right that he was not turning the bottom forearm like he did here. This is like the Albert Belle bottom hand which I love. where he goes back with it really turned thumb-side up.

Comment

• OK, interesting weekend with Mighty-Pronk. We scrapped, we battled, he yelled at me last night...

For some reason tonight after his game, he wanted to take some swings in the cage. Not a lot, just wanted to work on the push. He hit a few so-so and I said hell lift up your knee have some fun. He starts whacking the snot out of the ball. What was supposed to be a few tee swings became an obsession. I said forget about timing, just turn the damn barrel from up and back. Don't think about the foot getting down or anything just think about turning your forearms deep. He was so excited, never seen him this pumped, just cracking bombs.

My feeling is John has always used momentum to the point of moving the weight off the back leg. What I think is that by lifting the knee he is forcing himself to get on the back leg. He said after BP I finally see what you mean about not needing a lot of momentum. Anyway he came up after dark and said grab the flip I just want to see if what I felt was right. Plastic bat but he just wanted to see if what he was doing was closer, and I think this is a big improvement. Be interested to see how he pulls it off in a game he said he's going to try it I can't go Steven has a district game.

Comment

• We scrapped, we battled, he yelled at me last night...
                              Pronk,

Your relationship with your boys is special. I've witnessed it. I think mine with my boys is too. IMO....the yelling....is good. Doesn't feel good at the time. But, what a bond when the success comes. If failure wasn't part of the process.....there wouldn't be any left....everyone would have it.

I can see his effort to change in this clip. I like what I see....a lot. Ask him to pull back more....or better said....longer....and rotate about his SCIP.

Comment

Pronk,

Your relationship with your boys is special. I've witnessed it. I think mine with my boys is too. IMO....the yelling....is good. Doesn't feel good at the time. But, what a bond when the success comes. If failure wasn't part of the process.....there wouldn't be any left....everyone would have it.

I can see his effort to change in this clip. I like what I see....a lot. Ask him to pull back more....or better said....longer....and rotate about his SCIP.
                                Still a minor push in there. I was hoping barrel weight would help on that, but not sure we shall see. Which clip best showed (meaning your clips) the rotate about the scip?

Comment

Working...
                                X