Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

What Does Separation Look Like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let me clarify......the separation can be 'seen'.....by watching the hands versus the rear knee.

I don't think the rear knee is doing the work though.

Comment

Originally posted by Teacherman View Post
      Let me clarify......the separation can be 'seen'.....by watching the hands versus the rear knee.

I don't think the rear knee is doing the work though.
      Agreed. I look at the knee as an indicator that the hip is turning.

Comment

pivot seems to be hip socket/head of femur

Comment

That was not even on my radar.
          I'm still a little confused, but I think I see it more in the Kerns clip than the others. Looking forward to your video.

BD

Comment

With Bonds and Pujols the 'old' standard of hip line versus shoulder line is real clear. You can easily look at them and 'see' separation.

However, with Manny, and Arod, and Ryan Howard....others.....those with the more pronounced 'up and back' loading of their rear arm....they still separate but they don't achieve the same 'look'. Their hip line v shoulder line is not as pronounced. Mainly because they load differently.....in a different direction.....more up and back as compared to around.....and therefore they swing in a steeper diagonal plane than Bonds and Pujols.

All I'm stating is there is a better visual to 'see' the separation....that works in all hitters.....and that is the rear knee v the hands or barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by HiddenGem View Post
              I agree..I had the chance to watch Pujols live today...the thing that is most important about his swing is the last bit of sudden stretch he gets,that turns into some incredible powerful whip into the ball. It was awesome to say the least.

Do you think it's because of the speed in which he unloads his back hip? I think Ted Williams figured out that the quick change of direction from load to unload will generate just as much power and gives you a little more time to read. His swing is so simple (the last one he used) and efficient.

Comment

Teach,

What muscles and or tendons do you think are being stretched? Some muscles are being used to do the stretching and others are being stretched, correct? Which ones are the most important, IYO? I have learned much from reading you, Bluedog, Tom, Mankin, and Swingbuster. I owe much of that to Mike Epstein, who first put me on the quest for the truth. It's funny, the only reason I bought his tapes in the first place was because I wanted the video of the old Pros, what I found was that there was much more to hitting than I ever could have imagined.

Thanks!

Comment

The clip I promised is in the 'Trick Question' thread.

Comment

I was going through some old clips and found this one.

Thought it fit this thread rather well.

Comment

Another oldie but goodie that fits this thread.

The clip was made to show handle torque and the rearward move of the barrel before shoulder turn.

But.....look at the rear knee. Can't see it because it is already down and in.

Separation between the rear knee and the hands.

Comment

What happens as Utley raises his hands slightly just before go.

Is that a 'release' of resistance?

Comment

Hmmmmmm

Rear knee v hands

Comment

What happens AS his rear elbow reaches it's max load?

Comment

Comment

Pujols has several frames of separation before his barrel moves in plane. Rivera has very few. Separation v spin.

PCR says separation 'just happens'. That it's a 'no teach'.

Well...on the right is one of their poster childs. They point to Rivera all the time as someone who is a good example of their teaching.

Hmmmmm

Pujols separates. She does not.

Pretty obvious.

Comment

Working...
                                X