Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

Mini-Pronk

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There is a STRONG corner in this swing....

Comparing to his latest swing....you can feel the power in the drill swing. The suddenness around the corner is significantly better.

Work to find that corner.

BTW....the clip is labeled 'ridiculous uppercut'....yet....there is barely and uppercut to it. Definitely not ridiculous.

I say....swing like that. Swing like that at all pitch locations. Do THAT at all pitch locations.

He has a very good SCIP here. Use it.

Comment

• It appears to be up and away. Looking at the catcher and that he started to reach to grab it, I say a little off the plate, so he probably gave up a smidge.

And my point was not that he was perfect here, but that getting some tilt seems to take care of the elbow through issue. That clip above is three years old I am guessing, it was back in Cali, don't know exactly when. The hands are actually very level. The body creates the angle.

Comment

• Kaboom a no doubter to LCF. After this he was 2-2 and didn't see another strike since we were down 5-2 and at the time he had the only two hits. The kids got fired up after that inning and we scored a bunch in the 5th to pull ahead.

You know in the last two games he got called out on a 3-2 pitch that was iffy, but then smacked a hard hit off a kid who was throwing gas at 88-90 in very cold (to me) weather. This was our only hit off the kid last night. Not as impressive a swing but wasn't going to get beat. He told me I am swinging for the fences, and his hands didn't quit get it right he clipped the end of the bat, but still that is plus pitching that many HS hitters can't get around on.

This is actually unlisted, it's not really a big time hit and from video you wouldn't know the kid was throwing gas so I just left it off the main page.

Comment

• This is the best corner I can recall from him.

Comment

• It's interesting Teach we watched Mini's last homer and I felt like Steven's lead arm was just kind of following the rotation that gets started whereas mini's hands/forearms must have been in charge when I look at the follow through. Not that we teach rotation, but after the shoulder goes up and the hips go, the shoulder starts to go left, and I felt like he was slicing across a few balls. Asked him to really focus that any pressure against the handle must be from below the elbow down in the forearms. I really think a minor pull from the front shoulder had crept in there. Old habits...

Comment

• Has the ball now become the size of a basketball, that he is ripping balls out with authority? Please ask.

Originally posted by Teacherman View Post
              .... Set a ball on a tee at down central thigh/waist high. Their happy zone.
              As they are looking at the pitcher....they are aimed at the ball on the tee.
              The decision is YES the ball will cross my tee....or NO it won't.

...with a little practice....that 'ball on the tee' will grow to the size of a volleyball....give or take. As they get older....a basketball.

That is pretty good plate coverage. They can cover that much of the zone without much adjustment.
              By the way, you must have a VIP corner in the dugout. Nice view and great pictures. Mere mortals like the most of us get held back by netting in a forsaken corner behind the backstop. Good job!

Comment

• I don't know if the camera angles are exactly the same, probably not, but watch where his hands are in relation to the blue on his shirt at launch in each clip.

That can be the difference between a HR and a 2B.

And, pitchers work hard to make you do things like that. But being aware of it helps you counter their effort.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teacherman View Post

... watch where his hands are in relation to the blue on his shirt at launch in each clip.

That can be the difference between a HR and a 2B.

And, pitchers work hard to make you do things like that. But being aware of it helps you counter their effort.
                  I see a slight bit of a hand lift just after the "load", going into the "unload". Is this the difference you are alluding to, where the relationship between the hands and rear shoulder should be constant?

Originally posted by Al Oha View Post
                  Scap pinch and lateral tilt action over the rear hip socket, the top side components of the rag wring: It is a demonstration how the elbow gets through in SnF in the absence of arm action. Note how the top hand and rear shoulder relationship remains through the cycle. The hand set launches in place rearward at the instant it is needed within that timing phase. The hip socket modulates the plane of that hand set into the proper spot over the strike zone.
                  Last edited by Al Oha; 03-30-2013, 07:25 PM.

Comment

• Good Stuff.

The 2B was against a pretty slow pitcher who on top of not being fast had thrown a curve. He was that pitcher that kids either kill or pop out on that teams put out at times and he threw a decent curve and you can see Steven kind of got out on his front foot. Well in a manner of speaking. For an HI kid, who has learned the back leg this is about as out front as we get. So he definitely got fooled there.

Also the 2B would have been a home run on the field in Tennessee, their fences were not as deep as ours about 15 feet difference. In fact on many typical HS fields here in Orlando I think Steven would have 6-7 homers by now, maybe even closer to 10. Having said that while the 2B would have eeked over the fence in Tennessee, the home run was launched and would have gone out even at a college field. The team he hit it off of won the whole tournament, and the coach from that team (walked him twice after that) told him after the game it's rare to see a ball hit that far in this cold weather.

Comment

• Good stuff. Happy for all.

Comment

• 12th Double in 22 games. 26 RBI, only two more regular season games. It's been a fun season. First time I tried to catch the ball landing, I usually just watch and leave the camera right on home plate.

Comment

• Special moments because of the hard work of dad and son together

Comment

• Originally posted by Teacherman View Post
                            Special moments because of the hard work of dad and son together
                            Yea it's dawning on me here two games left, then single-elim playoffs. Got the call he'll be getting his first hard athletic offer soon. Though I suspect due to costs of the tuition for the amounts not granted we are still going to eyeball JUCOs but it's a testament to his hard work.

Actually hit the next ball much farther but in was in that part of LCF that juts out to 380 and didn't the dang CF run it down.

Comment

• Last regular season game tonight. Sr. night was surreal for me it all hit me about 4:00 that this was it. Anyway he went out with a bang, got the victory on the mound 4 shutout innings and we win 11-1.

I thought this was interesting, he clearly got fooled but seemed to keep enough back, and just turned it on this slow slow slow curve.

Comment

• What a journey. Look at the first post in this thread. If there ever was a Hall of Fame thread this is it. Congrats, it's been fun to follow. And it ain't over!
                                "Tip it and rip it" - In Memory of Dmac
                                "Hit the inside seam" - In Memory of Swingbuster

Comment

Working...
                                X