Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

Toe Touch....or....Hip Load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "Toe Touch/Heel Plant"

http://www.hittingillustrated.com/fo...hread.php?t=31

Notice Monroe's toe touches down first and then the heel plants afterward. The time between the two varies according to pitch speed. The lowering of the heel is simultaneous with the launch of hip rotation.
    I have question Richard.

Do you still believe in this statement above?

http://www.hittingillustrated.com/fo...hread.php?t=31
    from the Glossary section.
    Last edited by mike28nc; 01-08-2008, 04:20 AM.

Comment

All but the last sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by mike28nc View Post
        Where the head goes the body follows.
        Then you ain't going very far.

You splitting hairs and that is ok if that is the way you want to do it.

Take a pill!
        If you don't care enough about the discussion stay out of it. I really don't care if it moves you or not.

But.......where the weight is at "go", and not allowing it to shift until "go" is a HUGE deal.

A deal Epstein happens to be very wrong about.....even if he is your guru of choice.

Comment

Originally posted by mike28nc View Post
          it is not like the belly button/head is more to the back side.
          Strawman argument. No one ever said it was.

The issue is where and when the weight shifts.

Study up.

Comment

Maybe the alltime best "instructional clip". Study it Mike. Study it Cally.

Then report back with your finding on where the weight is before "go", at "go', and after "go". Include your thoughts on when it shifts. And, include an analysis on the accuracy of Epstein's 60/40 theory on weight shift.

In your trial and error study....rotate into footplant like Bonds does while you ride the back leg. Then, shift into the 60/40 position first THEN rotate into footplant.

Also, figure out how to set the front foot down softly. Try it with the weight back method. Then try it with the 60/40 method.

Finally, figure out how to have the foot down....and momentum going forward.....while the weight remains back. Tell us how you do that.

We await your report.

Comment

ok...give me a sec..have time to read..but not to post right now..

Comment

I wanted to see more of bonds load during the swing.

I see bonds is centered. Head over chest / belly button.
                When he loads his lower body, R knee loads hips. During the stride he floats the foot out to soft landing. Head is still centered. Pressure on back side to the soft landing.

Mike

Comment

I called and still do call that front knee action "cocking".

I use a cue Cock-stride-swing.
                  The HANDS and the HIPS DRIVE the Swing! The SHOULDERS are along for the ride.

Comment

In the Bonds clip above you can really see him turn the barrel, get the hands flat etc. - how can some people think the shoulders do that?

Comment

Working...
                    X