Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

First post: J 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know it’s a lot to try and figure out but maybe this post will help a little along with the one leg drills

Originally posted by Teacherman View Post
    In our struggle to get Brandon back to where he was....we had a good moment in the living room last night.

He had been continually plunging his hands forward with his arms as he turns the barrel. This is an extreme swing killer. I call it barrel slide. And quite a shocker to both of us as his strength had always been his barrel turn.....from a very tight HPP.

It is very easy to fall out of pattern.....and IMO.....trying to hit the ball harder and harder....further and further....off the planet.....instead of just engraining the mechanics....and trusting that the real issue is bat/ball squaring....not how 'good' or 'fast' or 'powerful' your body feels. What is important is that the barrel is speeding....not you.

Anyway....he would swear he was turning the barrel. And yet....he would continually plunge those arms....taking the weight with them. I finally asked him where his arms finish on each swing he took. And the answer was at/near his front hip. Uh huh. They were plunging. And the barrel is sliding. That is NOT a tight hand pivot point.

So....I got him to truly rotate the forearms.....in this fashion....

....and to then commit to that movement as he found his handset....verifying before he swung that he could rotate the forearms....and Shazam......instantly....he had a tight HPP.....instantly his rear hip would grab....and he instantly felt the old swing.

So....you've all done the drill, I assume....and still struggle....maybe.....so what is the REAL difference. The REAL difference came from our discussion afterwards....that the 'feel'....is the barrel turning perpendicular to the rear forearm. The path of the barrel is a wheel....the bat is a spoke....the rear forearm is the axle. And the barrel MUST turn perpendicular to the forearm.

Now.....look at my demonstration video....it doesn't 'look' perpendicular does it? At least not at the initiation. But MY GOD...the feel is absolutely perpendicular.

Now look at Longoria....and feel the axle/wheel relationship between his rear forearm and his barrel path.

Not turning the barrel perp to the forearm is a very weak position from which the barrel is not 'driven' by the forearms....but turned by the hands.....the weak hands.

Make your forearms take over. Turn the barrel perp to the forearms by feel.....and watch your rear hip grab.

In my clinics I talk about the hand path being 'across the chin'.....don't let the hands drop down toward the hip. Do Not
    Go Down Through The Nipple. This is extremely important. the swing must be launched....sent to autopilot....then the hands can take the speeding barrel to the ball.

Why does Longoria look so smooth and free and easy? Because he is trusting his barrel turn. He is not interested in a powerful fast feelling body. He wants his barrel to speed....not his body.

Comment

https://youtu.be/7hQfwFDCUcc

Comment

Still pushing the batr forward.

Comment

Here is a drill Chloe did to feel a different pattern. The path of the swing is so ingrained, it’s sometimes har to feel.

Then you can do it 1 legged

Do this

And this

Then go with this drill
          Last edited by Mike; 06-24-2018, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Teacherman View Post
            In this clip.....

o

....notice the barrel bluring behind him. That doesn't happen without handle torque. That handle torque keeps his hands back....keeps them from pushing forward too soon.

It is my opinion that many hitters do things they don't know they do to make their swing work. And/or they do things occasionally without knowing they do them. And/or certain pitch locations force them to do something that they don't do on other locations. And if they knew those things that happen sporadically....they'd encorporate them into all of their swings.

Why can't Albert get Yadier to swing like Albert? I bet you he tells him everything he knows. Yet Yadier can't duplicate Albert's moves. Whether it is the weight distribution....or the handle torque explanation.....or whatever.....I believe Albert does things he doesn't know he does. Therefore when he speaks with Yadier.....he doesn't tell him about his stretch around his rear leg in the ball and socket joint....he instead says.....keep your weight back. So Yadier keeps his weight back as long as he can....which isn't as long as Albert.....he drifts forward....loses his rear hip....feels the power outage....goes 'up and over' to get the bat moving....and doesn't get the result Albert gets.

I am convinced that HI is learning and describing things that few, if any, consciously know. Some do it....but unconsciously. Some do things that cause the rearward barrel torque....without knowing they are torquing it rearward....i.e. the overlap....they get to a position from which the hip pulls....through trial and error....yet never describe it that way. And in fact, describe it in ways that don't lead others to do it.
            Something to read and think about

Comment

We will start these drills tonight. Much appreciated

Comment

Do you video his swings and go over them? I video almost every swing and show my players. It's been a big help for all of us. It takes time and commitment to master this or any swing pattern.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  Do you video his swings and go over them? I video almost every swing and show my players. It's been a big help for all of us. It takes time and commitment to master this or any swing pattern.
                  I don’t, but it’s a great idea

Comment

Sorry guys I’ve been working.. j’s First swing in a 2 days

https://youtu.be/DimtabRKjjk

Comment

VS last swing https://youtu.be/mhMSCIGQn0g

Comment

https://youtu.be/9adAmDd9eJI

Comment

Hi Wifllisf3,

I'd recommend tight laced shoes for your swing practice. If you are coiling right, there should be a lot of pressure on the inside edge of your back foot. I got roasted a long time ago for swinging in my bare feet so your not alone in the camp .

Notice how your back leg rolls out as you are coiling back. That's going to bleed out any rearward coil that you accomplish. The rear leg needs to be rock solid. Imagine that you drive a nail into the bone of the femur so it's pointing at the opposite batter's box, then coil rearward while not letting that nail move and point back at the catcher. That is how you build tension in your rear hip.

Also keep working on your barrel turn. You've got a lot of pull along the axis of the barrel and what you want is a sudden explosive force that is perpendicular to the handle. Let us know if this doesn't make sense.

Keep up the hard work, you are way ahead of where I started .

Comment

Working...
                          X