Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

New to hitting illustrated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turning the barrel better and or keeping the hands back longer? I'm really trying to train my eyes to see what others see that need improvement. So, please accept my questions as trying to learn and not to disagree or discredit what you are helping me with. Thanks

Comment

• I like what she is doing with the insider bat. Do that from the neck slot, but continue the shoulder turn after full extension.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
        turning the barrel better and or keeping the hands back longer? I'm really trying to train my eyes to see what others see that need improvement. So, please accept my questions as trying to learn and not to disagree or discredit what you are helping me with. Thanks
        No worries Mike...ask away...only way to learn. I just think her barrel path looks a lot smoother in that neck slot swing...looks like she is swiveling it right off her neck. No matter the handset the hitter must turn the barrel instantly 90degrees around the rear forearm. I'd like to see a command drill swing off the neck to see what that looks like...or doing what she is doing with the insider bat movement-wise but off the neck with real bat

Comment

• 10-3

10-17

Last edited by Mike; 10-17-2017, 11:28 PM.

Comment

• I still see arms moving. I think Soriano's point is huge it is easier for kids often to just turn the barrel from neck slot. Try that in live swings, IMO that was her best barrel turn.

Comment

• Thanks, Ben we will continue to use drills from the slot to help keep the hands back. You can't see the ball flight but this was some of her best and most powerful hits ever. Exciting stuff , thanks all

Comment

• [

Originally posted by Ben View Post
                I still see arms moving. I think Soriano's point is huge it is easier for kids often to just turn the barrel from neck slot. Try that in live swings, IMO that was her best barrel turn.
                Last edited by Mike; 10-21-2017, 03:01 PM.

Comment

• Hey Mike, keep working at it. Both of the hitters you just posted today are still trying to use their body to get the barrel turning but they are improving.

I made these clips for one of my hitters to show that as sudden as think they might be there is more to go. This is pure barrel turn. Nothing else. Just using the forearms and hands.

Comment

• Hi Ray,

Nice space there, plenty of room to elevate! How do you like that tee? Are those regular wiffles?

I am trying to consolidate my shop space so I can put in indoor batting cage in one of our garages. Hard to get rid of stuff.

As I study hitters, I think a lot about the forces generated, and force acceptance and dissipation. I feel like Mike's hitter could stand a little firmer front side after contact for force acceptance, and a bit more extension and follow through so her body doesn't put on the brakes subconsciously.

Comment

• Thanks Ray, Yes !! Until we made the commitment to this way of hitting, we used the body to turn the barrel. We will work on turning the barrel with the hands and forearms.

The switch to hands leading and shoulders supporting has been a challenge but we all see the upside to the changes.
                      Last edited by Mike; 10-21-2017, 11:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by garvancarver View Post
                        Hi Ray,

Nice space there, plenty of room to elevate! How do you like that tee? Are those regular wiffles?

I am trying to consolidate my shop space so I can put in indoor batting cage in one of our garages. Hard to get rid of stuff.

As I study hitters, I think a lot about the forces generated, and force acceptance and dissipation. I feel like Mike's hitter could stand a little firmer front side after contact for force acceptance, and a bit more extension and follow through so her body doesn't put on the brakes subconsciously.
                        I think you spot on about my hitters. Two things that are going on in my opinion, they are learning to swing one legged and the hands pushing the barrel forward. I think if we tried to focus on extension now they would struggle more with their hands going forward but were open to suggestions or additional drills to enhance the learning curve.

Thanks, great observations
                        Last edited by Mike; 10-22-2017, 12:06 AM.

Comment

• Haven’t posted a pic of her progress in a while

Comment

• Much improved. See that line on her bat handle? Have her lower her barrel so that line could tap the back of her head. That will bring the hand pivot barrel path in sync with the rear hip pivot path. Everything will feel smoother. Clean. Easy. Effortless.

Comment

• Yes, thank you. I don’t know why my kids like to set up with their hands so high.

Comment

• I intended to have her lower her hands but I now see we didn’t do it.
                                Last edited by Mike; 11-24-2017, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X