Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

Lessons I Learned This Weekend

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We also did this....

To learn the feeling of a fused torso rolling over/around the ball of the femur. This drill really exposes a torso that is not fused into a unit.

Comment

I'm not God. I Skyped with a girl from the East Coast tonight. Asked her to do the same things we did this weekend. I had one helluva time trying to get her to turn completely. I couldn't get her to use her leg. Consistently used her hip. And I never got it done as good as I'd like. I believe I could have in person though. Skype is so limiting.

The good news is her dad understood.

Comment

And....I'm not declaring these girls done by any means. Just significant progress. A major hurdle crossed. Improvement from here will be more rapid.

Comment

Im having a tough time wrapping my head around this. I guess my question is what is powering this move when you do the drill? I'm seeing like a semi bug squishing action

Or is this just solely so kids can get a feel of opening completely? And doing so as a fused unit. Is this something that is only a teaching point when necessary?

In a full swing the resistance created in the rear hip socket and the continuous pull back should cause this action to happen naturally correct? When I swing I don't have go think about getting my belly button open, it just happens....
          Last edited by Spartans21; 08-17-2016, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Remember, the lesson in all of this is they had no idea what a fused torso was.

Without a fused torso, nothing I teach will work. Only a fused torso has the ability to be whipped. You can't stretch an unfused torso.

So, what do you do when you explain everything that should happen, they seem to do everything you said, but there is no snap forward?

What is the problem? Where is the leak?

Well, I decided to try to just make them snap forward....no matter how they did it. JUST TURN. NOW. COMPLETELY. AGGRESSIVELY. ALL IN.

And guess what.....they discovered a fused torso. By being asked to turn faster and more completely than they ever had before. Their belly button got all the way through. Instantly. Barrel whipped when swiveled off the shoulder.

THEN....when we went to step two.....by adding the coil.....they instantly separated....in the hip socket....their leg started forward AS their upper body was still going back....which meant they had a leg driver....not a hip driver....and we could move on.

I can't tell you how many kids I've worked with that appear to do what I ask, and appear to create a torsion spring look, but when they turn the barrel nothing happens. They look good....but it ain't there. Nothing snaps.

This weekend I found the problem.

Comment

Remember, the lesson in all of this is they had no idea what a fused torso was.

Without a fused torso, nothing I teach will work. Only a fused torso has the ability to be whipped. You can't stretch an unfused torso.

So, what do you do when you explain everything that should happen, they seem to do everything you said, but there is no snap forward?

What is the problem? Where is the leak?

Well, I decided to try to just make them snap forward....no matter how they did it. JUST TURN. NOW. COMPLETELY. AGGRESSIVELY. ALL IN.

And guess what.....they discovered a fused torso. By being asked to turn faster and more completely than they ever had before. Their belly button got all the way through. Instantly. Barrel whipped when swiveled off the shoulder.

THEN....when we went to step two.....by adding the coil.....they instantly separated....in the hip socket....because they now had an idea of what a fused torso was....their leg started forward AS their upper body was still going back....which meant they had a leg driver....not a hip driver....and we could move on.

I can't tell you how many kids I've worked with that appear to do what I ask, and appear to create a torsion spring look, but when they turn the barrel nothing happens. They look good....but it ain't there. Nothing snaps.

This weekend I found the problem.

Comment

Crystal clear.....thank you!

Comment

Here is the bottom line I believe.

Making them turn their torso as a until................THEY FOUND THEIR BACK MUSCLES.

Comment

I worked with 4 young kids today. Now that I am looking for it, 3 out of the 4 did not get open when they swung, the best the belly button was doing was pointing to the 2nd basemen. I had them do some reps with the drill prescribed earlier in the thread and there was an improvement. It got me thinking.....

Could something like this be of any benefit? It is kind of a cross between a stretch and fire and the torque drill. The lower body setup would be similar to the torque drill, but I would say 90% of my weight is around the rear hip socket. I concentrated on clicking back as a fused upper body unit. At go my thought process is the same as it would be when performing the stretch and fire. Being that there is some weight on my front leg I wasn't sure if that would throw a wrench in things. I was thinking this could be a way to get kids comfortable with getting their body open to the pitcher at contact........
                    Last edited by Spartans21; 08-20-2016, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Different angle....but you're set up just as my son was.

Nothing wrong with what you're doing. I can feel your stretch and you suddenness.

Comment

Teach

Are the hips turning with the bb also..And how is this different that BB/ASS! How does separation and stretch fit into this.

I have been working 6-7 days a week. I will have video coming

Thanks

Comment

Leg drives the torso. Torso turns as a unit. The entire torso.

Coil first. Leg drives. Separation results

Comment

Hello. When the belly button is not turned all the way is it a sign there is slack in the system? It’s a symptom? Great site, so much info.

Comment

Originally posted by Teacherman View Post
                              When you can make your lower rear back feel like this uniform shirt....

.....you will understand how the lead leg can not bleed that.

This is an amazing site full of great post. Nice find a real gem.

Slack , I’d say yes but it’s by taking out the arms in the swing is the real teach here.
                              Last edited by Mike; 06-27-2018, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach2016 View Post
                                Hello. When the belly button is not turned all the way is it a sign there is slack in the system? It’s a symptom? Great site, so much info.
                                Are you asking about the BB as it relates to the initial coil or into contact? Maybe rephrase your question might help spur some discussion.

Comment

Working...
                                X