Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

Lessons I Learned This Weekend

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lessons I Learned This Weekend

Belly Button To The Pitcher

Why am I excited about this stupid, silly, extremely elementary movement?

Can you duplicate it?

5 out of 5 could not without coaching.

What would you guess they did instead?

I believe this clip will reveal a major reason why many of our students struggle to do what many of us are able to duplicate.

Comment

I had my dd do it and I saw her using the shoulders.

Comment

id like to know what you are thinking here!

Comment

What they do instead of what you see should answer the important question.

Comment

If I ask you to get into your stance and turn your belly button to the pitcher, what happens?

Comment

Stood up..Got in my stance...Turned the belly button to the pitcher, My rear leg turned also. I think I felt my lower back pulling back also.

Maybe the hip slips..ill keep trying
              Last edited by Fastpitch Coach; 08-17-2016, 11:25 AM.

Comment

But did you look like me

Comment

Originally posted by Teacherman View Post
                  But did you look like me
                  Honestly I'm not sure.

Comment

What I'm showing is the turning of a FUSED TORSO. Very elementary. Very simple. Or is it? When I asked 3 girls and 2 boys to aggressively turn their belly button all the way to the pitcher, they did not turn a fused torso....and therefore did not get a complete turn. Most of them turned their hips and kept the shoulders back. Belly button turned but only got pointed to the opposite infielder....not to the pitcher. The ENTIRE TORSO, must turn, be turned, as a unit. When it does, and gets turned completely through, you don't have time to use your arms if you wanted to. When it doesn't get turned completely, you have a power outage and AUTOMATICALLY recruit your arms.

The entire torso....the fused torso....must turn/pivot AS A UNIT around the ball of the femur. If it doesn't your leg won't be the driver your hip will be. And the energy will dissipate through the torso. It will never get to your bat until you your shoulders turn. You have waist separation not hip socket separation.

Yes, in this example, my leg is not doing the turning.

How about in this example?

Play it frame by frame

Coil Then Turn

Comment

The feeling in my rear hip when performing that drill is intense. Legitimately sore after doing a few reps......Not sure if I'm doing it right
                      Last edited by Spartans21; 08-17-2016, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Which one, the first one?

I can Skype tomorrow some time....but not in the evening.

Comment

Yes more so the first way.......

Comment

I'm interested in how you presented that to the players this weekend. And how did you fit it in your teaching sequence...

Comment

Well a check point of mine is the eyes....are they 'out front' where a hitter can not see the barrel come around. And to get into that position the belly button has to get completely turned to the pitcher. And I know if the belly button doesn't get completely turned that the arms HAVE to be recruited to generate some pop. So...

We worked Sat and I had each dad send me clips Sat night so I could see what we accomplished and what we needed to work on. I was disappointed in what I saw. And, I noticed their belly buttons were not getting through. That was all I needed. I had to get them to turn completely whether it was driven by the leg or not. They had to feel getting turned all the way.

So, while working on another hitting system years ago, we learned to turn completely. So I just had the girls do that....no matter how they got it done at first....so they could feel a complete turn. None of them could turn completely. They turned their hips and left their shoulders back at first. Or turned about 3/4 of the way....which is a sign of two leggedness. None of them had a fused torso. After some coaching they all got it. They just exploded 90 degrees as quickly as they could without concern for swinging. Just held the bat in the neck slot. They did just what that clip showed. You can't really tell it by looking I don't believe but that is a turn over around one leg even if there is other things helping.

We did that then the drill where we coil first then turn....and that action is definitely one legged with whip.

Then we did this....

BellyButtonWithCoilWithSwivel

And instantly they got a deep whoosh. Not only that, they squared flips at a high rate.

Comment

Working...
                              X