Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

IR'ing Leg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IR'ing Leg

Teach,

Can you please explain further the IR'ing leg or what is happening w/the rear leg? I certainly see/feel the IR'ing leg in swings w/the pullbacks in MLB guys..

But does the IR'ing just happen as a result of the coil pullbacks against the leg and when you swing it breaks??
    Or at the time of the turning of the barrel to you push up w/the leg? Similar to what you show w/the high jumper?? while pulling back - I know Ali once mentioned this but I'm not sure you ever confirmed?
    Or do you push away from the ground at the time of the barrel turn? while pulling back?

I'm just confused w/what you do w/your rear leg/foot w/respect to the IR'ing rear leg. Or if it is a non-teach and just happens if you are coiling/pulling back correctly..

Thanks,
    Thunder

Develop the spring.

The coil is so strong that if your rear leg did not fight it...by trying to IR....the rear leg would externally rotate.

It is a stationery....rock solid leg....that has IR'ing muscles activated to 'fight' the coil....such that....when the stretch is broken....those IR'ing muscles burst (resistance is suddenly gone) and the leg turns forward.

But the stretch has to reach up through the scap so that it is actually the scap against the leg at go. If the stretch doesn't reach up there....your burst will simply move the hips or torso....not the barrel....and your arms will have to push. So...at go...the action at the scap/spine should be controlling your leg. You've lifted...extended the resisting coiling action upwards to the scap.

Comment

Make your rear shoulder pull your barrel and see what all the body does to create that.

Comment

Originally posted by Teacherman View Post
        Develop the spring.

The coil is so strong that if your rear leg did not fight it...by trying to IR....the rear leg would externally rotate.

It is a stationery....rock solid leg....that has IR'ing muscles activated to 'fight' the coil....such that....when the stretch is broken....those IR'ing muscles burst (resistance is suddenly gone) and the leg turns forward.

But the stretch has to reach up through the scap so that it is actually the scap against the leg at go. If the stretch doesn't reach up there....your burst will simply move the hips or torso....not the barrel....and your arms will have to push. So...at go...the action at the scap/spine should be controlling your leg. You've lifted...extended the resisting coiling action upwards to the scap.
        Ok, thanks Teach.. so w/that respect it is the proper pullbacks and the leg countering the pullback w/the turning in/IR'ing.. and the stretch is broken w/the barrel turn and bat getting flat or hands getting flat - palm up/palm down..

So that is w/no momentum, if you were to have some add just a little bit of momentum to your installed spring.. how would you have them do that? Like w/the Happy Gilmore Drill, is Ryan adding some momentum? If so, how?

Thanks
        Thunder

Comment

Originally posted by Teacherman View Post
          Make your rear shoulder pull your barrel and see what all the body does to create that.
          Yes, that was a good quote from your blog.. I believe I do this, I just think I need to do it longer, as I release too soon for pitch up the middle.. I think it would make sense that the extension happens earlier for the outside pitch, a little later for pitch down the middle and even later for inside pitch..

Comment

Originally posted by LITHTHUNDER View Post

So that is w/no momentum, if you were to have some add just a little bit of momentum to your installed spring.. how would you have them do that? Like w/the Happy Gilmore Drill, is Ryan adding some momentum? If so, how?

Thanks
            Thunder
            It's the same thing. Just move forward as you do it. The pull back will be stronger to keep you back as you're moving forward.

Happy Gilmore drill is great....when you do it like Ryan....

And this....

Comment

Originally posted by LITHTHUNDER View Post
              Yes, that was a good quote from your blog.. I believe I do this, I just think I need to do it longer, as I release too soon for pitch up the middle.. I think it would make sense that the extension happens earlier for the outside pitch, a little later for pitch down the middle and even later for inside pitch..

For the shoulder to pull ALL THE WAY THROUGH.....the belly button....must turn forward....ALL THE WAY THROUGH.

What 95% do is....their torso starts to turn....then it slows/stop....the arms get active....the hands get in front....and the shoulder pushes to finish the swing.

I can hit this ball....and never let my hands go below my chin....until after the corner.

When you do that....your rear shoulder will be pulling.

Your hands, by way of the arms, are 'out racing' your belly button. It's turning....but the hands are overtaking it. Do Manny's hands below, out race his belly button? Not until after launch....after the corner.

Manny's hands remain up until after the corner. When you do that....you'll never get the barrel to the ball without a pulling shoulder....which requires and explosive SnF that turns the belly button all the way to the pitcher.

Stand up. Get in a stance. Don't need a bat. From your hitting stance....simply....explosively....turn your belly button 90 degrees so that it faces the pitcher. THAT will cause a pulling shoulder.

Virtually every student who can't make the SnF and uptick work....is not turning all the way through.

Comment

Thanks Teach for the additional info.. real quick, been a busy weekend.. hopefully 2 Championships!!

The turning the belly button, is the focus of turning the belly button coming from turning the rear leg, from the torso or both?

THanks
                Thunder

Comment

I'm going to jump in a little. I have had similar questions that are still somewhat lingering...

Speaking from my understanding or lack there of...
                  As the rear hip pulls the pelvis around the rear leg, the rear leg is techinically IR'ing even though the rear inner thigh is not actively pulling. I feel like I can reach a stopping point in which my pelvis can't pull around anymore, and my rear leg is just sitting there, IR'd but not actively IR'ing... From this position, in swings I don't get my belly button all the way around...

On some occasions though I have pulled my pelvis around to the limit as mentioned above getting into the "IR'd" position. After this, I start actively trying to IR my leg. This makes my inner thigh flex and engage. My leg doesn't move though. I suspect this is because the muscles pulling back are bigger and are pulling against each other. From this position, I still look the same (rear leg is IR'd), but the stance is exhausting because the two muscle groups are fitting. Launching from this position is different. In these cases, my BB will get all the way around. Now when I say launch from this position, what I mean is to tilt so that the butt/back muscles are no longer fighting directly with the rear inner thigh muscles... In my cases, I have had to generate massive amounts of tilt (because I'm doing it wrong). In watching swings like Bonds/Pujlos/Cabrera/Manny, I don't see them have to tilt like I do. I see them turn the barrel, but I don't see how the linkage ties back to releasing the rear leg to let go and fly forward...

I don't know if this is right... I have asked many times about the sequence of events, but it hasn't really been answered. For instance, I think that the rear inner thigh muscles are supposed to be pulling in. If I activate the rear inner thigh muscles before I pull back, my leg physically turns in... So I know that there must be a sequence, butt/back first, then inner thigh or something like that. I do not feel like I have ever been in a position that my rear inner thigh muscles engage automatically though.

I will also ask again about the rear leg inner thigh muscles. Are these muscles primarily responsible for turning the body around? Since muscles can only pull and not push, the butt and back can only pull the opposite way. I don't see how they can take part in turning the body around.

Comment

Make this happen....

Comment

Teach, that clip is an awesome example...but honestly I can't tell if he deliberately slams his rear leg through or if it happened on auto pilot.

I do know that I need to pick the bat back up :-). This is the last week of travel ball (thank goodness). We go to Ohio this weekend for WS. Maybe I'll get a chance to swing a little since our evenings will be open.

Comment

Or do this....

The relationship between the back and the leg...and the barrel....is special right here....

Comment

That's a great clip and appears to really show that autopilot is in charge of the leg. Excellent view of the correct arm action at the start. Would be cool to see the back half of the swing at the same speed to demo that the bottom hand will not be trying to pull the knob off the bat.

I do still have the open question about the inner thigh muscles doing the pulling of the leg around though.

Comment

Working...
                          X