Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

11yo - Latest Swing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that bounce....
    Surface surface

Comment

Originally posted by Al Oha View Post

Two observations to reconcile if these comments are indeed true:

1. .....
      2. Why does the belly button shift forward before the lead hip opens during overlap? In the high level hitter, the front hip opens with belly button remaining in relatively the same spot with the launch.

In Jayla's "missing frames" of the "overlap", the belly button shifts forward before the lead hip opens. This is classic HIP STALL and you know it.

Comment

It's time....past time....for you to swing a bat.

You're making up nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by Teacherman View Post
          It's time....past time....for you to swing a bat.

You're making up nonsense.
          Momentum shifts belly button forward, but it halts at the instant of overlap.

Originally posted by Teacherman View Post
          The Three Loads....

...is he raising up ....

He is rising, but is loading, and not overlapped.

COG lowers during his overlap.

Last edited by Al Oha; 07-11-2014, 11:45 AM.

Comment

.... Jayla, ... you have a good start. Not to discourage you and dad's work, but we need to keep honest if we are to push a quality product.
            Batdragon,

Instead of the rear knee pointed to the pitcher, direct it at you holding the camera. With her knee kept flexed, have her sweep the rear knee forcefully towards the pitcher (this gets to her predisposition here, at the start of the load).

Do not make her stand on the rear leg. Rather, make her forcefully lean back straight back away from you holding the camera as the flexed knee turns inward. The rear knee "gets through" as she leans back. She will not rise. Make her swivel as she does, but make sure she does so rearward into the direction of her back. She must simultaneously lean the upper back rearward to counter the sweep of her knee inward in achieving hip socket separation. Forces will summate a torque in her SCIP axis, the moment she swivels rearward.

See what happens.
            Last edited by Al Oha; 07-12-2014, 05:27 PM.

Comment

How about a clip of you doing this.

have her sweep the rear knee forcefully towards the pitcher
              Oh My. There is no Elvis action in the high level swing.

make her forcefully lean back straight back away from you holding the camera
              Do this without moving your head.

Comment

The reason you flop forward to keep from falling is because you turn turn your leg inward the way you teach it. You need to work knee inward. If the back is a lever, the femur is the the 90 degree counter-lever that will keep the system balanced in forces so you do not fall forward. You obviously did not teach Brandon to do that. He just does it because he found out himself. So now, I am telling you.

You will get an even tighter and rag wring squared on the hip socket if you activley and simultaneously drive the rear knee (and the rear knee only) to your right (as a left hand hitter). And you will be balanced on that one leg.

Notice how in the the clip above, how your opposite leg kicks forward in order for you to keep from falling back. Your are counter-levering your backward arch to keep you from flopping. There is some torque in your hip socket, but not enough in direction and magnitude expected in SnF. You can achieve more if you can get your lower half, which includes the rear knee to drive more actively .

In Teach's drill, and even more so in Brandon's swing, that the rear knee simultaneously drives and sweeps from under hip joint into the direction of the incoming ball as they arch rearward. That knee goes 90 degrees in opposing the backward arch. Both Teach and Brandon are completely balanced on one leg despite the huge dynamic forces; Teach gets forward some, but Brandon makes a mere step in demonstrating his balance. Their rear knee dynamically works for that counter-lever.

Get that rear knee actively involved, and you'll achieve what needs to be done in your hip socket. But do not let that knee turn your hip. That hip is arrested and confined to the "top half" because of that arch, despite the influence of the "bottom half" in making it want to turn.

Comment

In NONE of those videos is there ANY effort to lean back 'away from batdragons' camera'....which would be in the opposite batters box.

In NONE of those....is there a sweeping rear knee.

There is a TWIST of the leg....than untwists. That is significantly different than a sweeping rear knee.

Comment

Another guy....who won't post video of himself....but is simply looking at his monitor....is telling me what my son is doing....by guessing.

Comment

Working...
                    X