Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

11yo - Latest Swing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11yo - Latest Swing

Here is my 11yo daughters latest swings. She has been hitting very well in tournaments. In last weekends tournament she was crushing everything. Everything just looked effortless for her at the plate and the ball was being launched to the fence nearly every time.

She has modified her swing slightly to not be in such a preloaded type of position. Also, she is trying to be a little more relaxed. It seems to have helped her.

I think her first swing in this video is a pretty good cut.

Your suggestions/thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thx,
    Batdragon

Very nice.

One thing your daughter is better than most at is the continuous flow of the pattern. She has very good set up and loading....but when she starts her movement....it is flowing....it is continuous. She keeps going' on around'. There is no stop restart. No pause. And that flowing movement is BOTH her load and her unload. She overlaps very nicely. She transitions seamlessly from load to unload.

Comment

Thank you Teacherman !!!

So is it good to go ? Should we just leave it alone and avoid tinkering with it and just try and maintain it ?

She seems to have this swing built into her pretty good. We really haven't talked about mechanics for nearly 2 months. She primarily just focuses on staying relaxed and letting it happen.

Comment

I wouldn't change a thing. She's young. And feeling pretty good. With great results.

As issues arise....we'll fix them.

I would make sure she gets a lot of reps to engrain what she's doing. Posting occasional clips to verify she's still on track would be good.

Comment

Awesome .. Thanks !!! Jayla and I appreciate all the help !! Joining HI and applying the information learned here has without a doubt improved her experience with the game in a relatively short time period. We will continue to periodically post swings to make sure we are staying on the correct path. Thx for everything.

Batdragon

Comment

They make a clip of the 'Missing Frames'....(almost all of them....they cut the clip a bit short)....that are present in Jayla's swing....

....and then say there is no upper to lower body connection.

Yet....the missing frames that only high level swingers have are present....and the results are excellent.

dfp is a cesspool.

I'm glad you posted her swing over there, batdragon. The more opportunity they get to show their ignorance, the better.

Comment

Jayla's 'extra movements'....ON THE SURFACE....blinds them.

The action in her rear hip socket is EXCELLENT. The stretching against it is quite good. The running start is present. The overlap is very good.

She will get better at what she's doing with continued practice.

But their inability to see below the surface is stunning. I mean, by now, you would think they could identify what is happening. But....once again.....when all you do is stare at your monitor you will never actually see what is happening.

Comment

This is two pivot points....working together....yet against each other....simultaneously....at the same/similar angle....so that the energy from BOTH pivot points is felt by the barrel.

NEVER....has anyone at dfp EVER....gotten energy from their lower body to their barrel. ALL of them.....have to push with their arms to create speed.....because HIP ROTATION....can not connect with the barrel. It never has. It never will.

If you can picture a beer barrel....the top is the hand pivot point. The bottom is the rear hip pivot point. You can tip the barrel at any angle you please (posture adjustments if hitting)....and the two 'circles' pivot at the same angle. The clip above is cropped too short....but the next few frames of her swing....would be those two pivot points working at the same angle just like the top and bottom circles of a beer barrel.

Or....said differently....Jayla is pivoting about her SCIP to unload.

THAT is what Jayla is able to do here, among many other good things. Both pivoting 'circle's...TURN THE BARREL.

Comment

This girl is 11 yrs old.

Her swing is better than ANY poster at dfp.

Yet....she's just 11.

If she continues with what she's doing, she will be simply amazing as she grows and moves up the playing ladder.

They SO HATE IT....that you posted her excellent results, batdragon. They were SO confident in their analysis prior to your comment. They knew you had been working with me....so IMMEDIATELY.....they criticized.

I don't know if it was intentional or not on your part....but the reason I avoided the conversation was to allow them to hang themselves.....while hoping you would do just what you did. You set the trap. They gladly jumped right into it.

Their rehab is in full force now.

JJSqueeze....you've got a lot to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Teacherman View Post

The action in her rear hip socket is EXCELLENT. The stretching against it is quite good. The running start is present. The overlap is very good.

This is two pivot points....working together....yet against each other....simultaneously....at the same/similar angle....so that the energy from BOTH pivot points is felt by the barrel.
                    Two observations to reconcile if these comments are indeed true:

1. Why does the center of gravity rise when she swivels? In the high level swing, COG lowers.

2. Why does the belly button shift forward before the lead hip opens during overlap? In the high level hitter, the front hip opens with belly button remaining in relatively the same spot with the launch.

My interpretation of what is happening is that she begins to stand on her rear leg and pushes forward with her inward turned leg. There is no hip socket separation, although she swivels OK.

Sorry Jayla, but you have a good start. Not to discourage you and dad's work, but we need to keep honest if we are to push a quality product.

Comment

Another blinded by the surface.

Comment

Comment

Another blinded by the surface.
                          Tell me again, that I am blinded by the surface. Please DO RECONCILE, because I am here to learn.

Originally posted by Al Oha View Post

The hand set is drawn to the up and back towards the rear shoulder as the rear scapula engages backside in the time the pitcher winds up. This gets the bat head moving rearward during the load, before the decision to swing. He generates a running start, so that in the decision to lauch, he will swivel seamlessly to unload into his load. The vortex that he creates in the bat path occurs because hands remain "fixed" at the rear shoulder, as he circles his rear scap. This embodies the process of overlap in which the locked scapula is arched rearward by the back, against the inward turning rear leg for hip socket separation.

From the side, you will see his knee turn inward. His scapula will circle during the moment that he initiates the bat's vortex. The whip launches the bat into the direction of the ball through a tangent of that vortex, the instant the rear hip pulls.

Comment

when she swivels

Comment

That bounce... It causes her to flex and the knee and hip upon load. She stands and rebounds up in leveraging her swivel rearward with a lean backward. The back and rear leg work as an accordion, and not a torsion spring.

No rag wring. No hip socket separation. No SCIP. Not high level. Swing ends up being a push despite the swivel.
                              Last edited by Al Oha; 07-12-2014, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X