Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

How Many Ways Have I Tried....Here Is The Next

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's definitely a shift from the 'it doesn't pivot' statement.

Regarding the load/unload....I struggle with saying it unloads....because that is/willbe/canbe viewed as the push...the slide. It's still the lateral tilt of the shoulders/torso....but....IT FEELS LIKE....a pivot.....centered at the scap....because of the out from action. Because of the direction. Lateral tilt without the out from action doesn't clear the elbow. I've always maintained that one of the most explosive things the body can do is laterally tilt. I've never described it as a scap pivot before.

I'm OK with everything else.

Any help with anatomical words that describe what I'm trying to say is appreciated.

Comment

See this....

....it's in this....

Help me describe the feel using words other than out from.

Most see the out from demo and call that a push....because they don't FEEL the barrel turn. Looks like a push. But it isn't. There is a pivot going on that includes MORE than just the hand pivot point. And the feel is it is pivoting about the scap.

Comment

The bent sheet metal (scap/spine relationship resulting from the pull backs) and the scrunch (lateral tilt) create a feeling of a pivot....at the scap.

It's the bendable screw driver adapter.

One end is the hip socket.
        Middle (the bend) is the scap.
        Other end is the hands.

All are pivoting.

The middle pivot has been missing....short changing some....a missing link....keeping some from finding it. Energy was leaking there....causing an arm recruitment.

Comment

The bending of the SCIP.

Comment

Think of it like this....

There is a horizontal rod with a pad on the end....that protrudes from the wall behind you as you stand in the batters box. It is perfectly set at the height of your scap.

Swing....while maintaining pressure against the pad....with your scap.

Do everything that has been taught here.....and do that.

It will feel like you're pivoting about your scap because of the combination of the pull backs, the lateral tilt...the leg turning the system....etc etc.

The scap/pad junction is the pivot point of the BODY.

It becomes 'the point of unload'. The BODY'S pivot point.

Yes the hands are turning the barrel...the actual barrel pivot point....but to get the body's energy from the leg to the hands....the SCIP must bend at the scap. The leg's pivot continues through the scap. It doesn't get there and stop. The SnF energy travels up the leg vertically to the scap....then it must be turned to get to the hands. The SCIP bends. THAT POINT OF BEND....feels like....a pivot of the scap.

Comment

The scap and hands become the control center. They control the energy developed from the SnF hip/leg load.

Raising the SnF energy from the hip to the scap.....making the bend....but 'holding it back'....brings the energy as close to the handle as can be....BEFORE GO. The forearms are loaded. The scap is holding back the body's energy that wants to burst.

The BEND of the SCIP....at the scap....ALIGNS the pivoting.....so ALL the energy....turns the barrel....INSTANTLY. The direction of the hand pivot....and the direction of the scap pivot....are the same. The rear hip/leg energy has been raised to the scap level....brought closer to the point of need....so it gets there more quickly.

You can call it coupling. You can use Al Oha's differential visual. Those are fine.

But....IMO....a student needs to be taught FEEL for him to get it. He can't SEE himself while in the box. But he can FEEL himself. And teaching to FEEL a pivot at the scap will be very helpful.

Comment

The previous description of hip coil and pull backs of the back and scap....were good....they still exist....they are still just as important.

But....lets add to it.

Visualize the hip coiling mostly horizontally around the ball of the femur. Visualize a horizontal circular arrow showing that direction 'around' the ball of the femur.
                Visualize the lower back pulling back mostly horizontally around....with another horizontal circular arrow above the hip/leg arrow.
                Visualize the scap pulling back mostly horizontally around....with another horizontal circular arrow above the back's arrow.

The arrows are basically stacked....concentric....showing a horizontal pull back....a horizontal twisting.

Unless you change something the resulting unload would be in the opposite direction....horizontally.

But...the bat is in your hands....and it will be turned diagonally....or nearly vertically....and out from.....depending on your handset/tip etc.

The body's energy, if it is to work with the hands/forearms, must get turned from mostly horizontal to diagonal or vertical. It must match the direction of the barrel turn. The two axes must be parallel.

To do that.....bend the scip laterally.....and twist the scip forward....which feels like a PIVOT AT THE SCAP.

Comment

The above....feels like....a pivot at the scap.

Pull backs first.
                  Lateral tilt second.
                  Twist forward third.

A pivot feeling.

Comment

And this part here....

....is missed by many.

They pull back.
                    They laterally tilt.
                    But they don't twist....and without the final twist....they push forward....they short circuit the system.

But if you commit to the pivot....the twist will be there....the elbow gets through....BINGO.

Can you see it here....

Comment

And here........

Comment

Maybe this is a better way of saying it...

Does the scap pivot?....not literally. But the body pivots AT THE SCAP.

Is this a 3rd engine? Absolutley not. The other two engines work so as to cause a pivot at the scap.

Comment

Teach, any video of when you work with these other guys?

Comment

I don't.

It was an impromptu 'feeling out' of what I taught.

Never fired up the camera.

Didn't expect what I got.

Comment

Full clip....

Each of these segments, except the release, is against the rear leg....creating/increasing the stretch.

With each move I can verify the feeling of stretch against my leg.

A constant continuous build up....which feels like....a pivot....at the scap.

Comment

Thanks for this information. Very useful for my boys.

Comment

Working...
                                X