Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

How Many Ways Have I Tried....Here Is The Next

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Many Ways Have I Tried....Here Is The Next

Early on, long time ago, we spent a lot of time on the 3 elements of the Second Engine....the forearm rotation, the triangle rotation and the lateral tilt. I have called it pull backs. I have called it scap circling. I have said 'hold' the scap. I have talked about 'out from'. I have spoken about the scap/spine junction. I have used the bent sheet metal example. I have talked about the pressure of the scap working down the spine. With the Jim Edmonds clip I said 'take the E (of his name) to the 1 (of the 15 on his back)'. I have talked about the hip working over/around the ball of the femur.

This isn't that hard to do. But it is one helluva to explain. Here is my latest.

In Al Oha's SCIP thread, earlier today, I spoke of RAISING the SnF load to the scap spine junction. Raising the load to bring it closer to the point of unload....the hands. That doesn't mean you lose the hip socket separation. Quite the opposite. It means you create the same SnF load in your hip/back against the leg....but you RAISE the point of hold....you RAISE the point of the unload....from the hip to the scap. You move your load closer to the unload. You create the rag wring load....by stretching 'around' at both ends of the axis. If you've coiled against your leg, if your back is pulling back, if your scap is pulling back.....you've got a SnF load. You've twisted your SCIP axis.

Most get it to that point....then fail when unloading it. They still push with the scap and arms. Pierson's latest is improved....but not quite.

In the last few days/weeks I've been swinging and working with a couple of individuals....men in their 40's who played DI college ball....who are investigating whether to send their sons to me. They did what most do....got close....but still pushed.

Until....I said a magical word. I hope the magic works for you. I said....PIVOT DOWN THE SPINE AT THE SCAP....as you turn the barrel....as a go move. Instant light bulb. I had mentioned turn the barrel. They did that. I had mention/taught the coil against the IR'ing leg. They did that. They were still doing both. But until we RAISED the SnF to the scap/spine junction....they would unoad the SnF AT THE HIP while turning the barrel....and therefore have to push with their arms and scap....because an unload FROM THE HIP....will not reach the barrel. When I told them to pull back and pivot (scap circling) at the scap/spine junction....INSTANTLY....we had success. Now....the word pivot....at the scap....had to be done such that the elbow gets through and you swing out from. The adduction that has been talked about happens also. Nothing new....except....they were thinking about hands and scap pivot....not hip pivot....scap pivot or circle down the spine....as a go move....with the hand pivot turning the barrel....creating the diagonal plane....to create the out from action.....BINGO.

To pivot the scap down the spine.....you have to be pulling back....or you'll lose the stretch. Yet....it seemed to them....and me....that that pivot action is quite easy. It is a rearward pivot of the scap as the hands turn the barrel rearward. The move is very explosive.

When you pivot the scap down the spine....you create the bent sheet metal. Because of the SnF load throughout the leg and torso....the pivoting scap action includes....causes....comes with....and automatic forward projection of the rear hip/leg. You get the proper over/around of the hip over the ball of the femur. The spine turns into the scap. The scap resists. Eventually your sheet metal snaps forward.

Everything remains the same....except your point of focus becomes a sudden pivot of the scap down the spine with the barrel turn. That action, as the point of focus....after loading properly....made everything fall in place for these two guys.

Said differently....a shoulder pivot....a scap pivot....rearward....caused....the hip to work over the ball of the femur properly. (if, of course, you've loaded properly to behing with) It kind of feels like you've got a spike driven through your scap....that you pivot around...laterally....not forward....by laterally tilting. Of course....when you laterally tilt you launch the leg from the SnF load....and you get turned.

Comment

The pivot must create pinwheel action. It must create this....

Comment

Coincidentally...

I don't post that much about HI hitting mechanics. But I data mine this site with all get out, and swing a bat constantly, daily, even at work, trying to produce a high level swing based on the nuggets that I find here.

It took me a while to finally realize that no matter how descriptive or detailed the nuggets that I find here are, there is no guarantee that my hitter is going to understand what I'm trying to get him to do.

Coincidentally the last videos of my hitter in the 'Jermaine' thread were the result of him being told to make his scap a pivot point. Let his scap be the pivot point and scrunch 'now' from there at go. It is why a second camera was set up to get a rear view.

He didn't experience the success with the use of that until late in his HS fall season. He told me that he turned heads in practice. His coach asked 'where did that come from?'. He said he just answered 'from practicing'.

On the last day of practice before the very last game, picking him up, he got in the car, paused, looked me dead in my eye and said "I love my scap".

I can't stomach the haters at BBD. They are so anti HI that they refuse to acknowledge even the possibility that focusing on the scap could be significant. Concentrating on the scap maynot work for every hitter, but the scap has become a central focus for Jermaine. There's plenty work to be done in other areas I know, but this works for him. If described as a tent, the scap is the central stake and the other hitting absolutes help to support and widen it.

For us it has boiled down to the 'truth position', 'scap pivot point', and whatever other nuggets inspires us to try. Let there be no doubt, HI is THE place for hitting instruction.

Went back and check, on ‎Friday, ‎September ‎20, ‎2013, ‏‎11:37:09 AM, I created a folder on my hard drive entitled '000000 - Scap - clickbacks - lowerbackpullbacks - Dante'. I labeled with all the leading zeros so it will be at the top of my file structure. The Dante was Dante Bichette Jr that Pronk posted in his 'MiniPronk' thread, who displayed great scap pivot point usage.

http://hittingillustrated.com/forum/...i-Pronk/page53

Dante is in Post 523

I don't think anyone will be surprised when I tell you what finally made me realize that the scap was well worth investigating....

This one got me looking...

This one got me gawking...

This was the third and proverbial straw...

...it's why I'm in awe (jealous is a better word) of Turn2.

Teach and this laboratory is what makes it possible though...
        Last edited by roga danar; 01-06-2014, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Great post.

How can you pinwheel....if the pivot point is not the scap?

Drive a spike through your scap....and make it pivot....as you turn the barrel.....and after you've SnF loaded your leg.

It is amazing how this thought can bring it all together.

Comment

I love my scap

Comment

When you leave the unload at the hip, and haven't raised it to the scap, so the scap can pivot....you will not get a pinwheel. You will not 'hit the inside seam'. You will not swing 'on the other side of the wall'. You will not swing 'out from'. You will get turned 'around'. You will get a hip working 'around' pulling the upper out of it's pinwheel attempt.

The pinwheel is critical to the stretch process.

Out from.....IS....the pinwheel.

We've talked about the lateral tilt being the hip socket working rearward over/around the ball of the femur. And that is absolutely true. BUT.....the pinwheel causes it. When you pivot the scap....the SnF loaded rear hip/leg will project forward....and your hip will 'fall'...slide...down behind/over/around the back of the ball of the femur.

Which leads me to a revision. How about that.

The lateral tilt.....IS....in the shoulder. It's in the scap pivot. When the scap pivots it FORCES the hip to work properly...it forces the hip to laterally tilt over the ball of the femur.

After proper SnF loading pull backs....simply think....pivot at the scap as you turn the barrel rearward. Make the barrel turn and the scap pivot concentric. BOTH turn the barrel. It is the HIP turning the barrel....by....turning the other end of the SCIP....which is the scap.

The scap pivot is the combination of the forearm rotation, the shoulder lateral tilt, and the triangle turn....which was the original definition of the Second Engine. It is a much cleaner teach. A much clearer teach....IMO.

Guess what a scap pivot does automatically......IT GETS THE ELBOW THROUGH.

Comment

Which brings me to this.....that made so much difference to Brandon in that AHA summer of 2007....

See the scap pivot?

Can you feel it?

How about here....

It is ABSOLUTELY WHY....he got his elbow through so well.

I LOVE this stuff.

Comment

The mistake THEY make....is they look at this clip....and see ARM ACTION....

...they see 'slot the elbow....when in fact....it is SCAP ACTION....the SCAP PIVOT....the SCAP PIVOT WITH ALL THE PROPER SnF LOADING....that moves the arms.

Comment

Originally posted by Teacherman View Post
                    Nice post.

How can you pinwheel....if the pivot point is not the scap?

Drive a spike through your scap....and make it pivot....as you turn the barrel.....and after you've SnF loaded your leg.

It is amazing how this thought can bring it all together.

Teach,

Help me visualize. My scap and spine are pinched together "The E to the 1". The spike goes vertical into the ground or horizontal of the ground? I am sitting here at the computer trying to "feel" it but have no reference point.

Comment

The spike is driven through the scap through the torso horizontal to the ground.

A roughly horitontal axis....that the pinwheel pivots around....roughly vertically.

Comment

Gotta go by feel not look.

I know the description is not the best. The feel is great.

Just do this...with a scap pivoting feeling...

This definitely feels like a pivoting scap when the barrel is turned rearward and not pushed forward.

Comment

The pivot feel comes from the constant pull back combined with the scrunch.

Scap circling is a quality description also.

But the word PIVOT made such a difference to the guys I worked with....and....we learn....roga's grandson.

And the rearward pull back is a must as it happens.

Comment

BTW.....ALL of this.....leads to....a very....sudden....rearward

UPTICK

Comment

Gotta go by feel not look.

I know the description is not the best. The feel is great.

Just do this...with a scap pivoting feeling...

This definitely feels like a pivoting scap when the barrel is turned rearward and not pushed forward.
                              So is this a paradigm shift from this? I had recognized this a while back but was unable to formalize quite right, because I did not quite understand. I do now.

The scap's action is stretching....not loading/unloading....not pivoting nor hinging/unhinging.

The scap pulls back....takes out slack....so the hands/barrel can connect to the leg.....and it stays there....pulls back....constantly and continuously....it does not pivot nor hinge. The lateral tilting of the hip socket over/around the ball of the femur is where the pivoting happens. If the pivoting is there you can and will connect to the leg.

The rear hip/leg pivots as a result of the stretches against it.

.....The elbow lowering is a combination of scap pull back and the lateral tilt over the back of the socket move....a stretching move....they combine to create stretch. The elbow lowering and getting through is not a firing move. It is not an independent action. The elbow gets 'through' not by firing it through, whether independently or by way of your bell crank. The elbow gets through when the scap continues to pull back as the lateral tilt happens.

Comment

Working...
                              X