Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

First try SnF

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice the weight never transfers forward. It is constantly over the rear leg.

This is very important to learn HOW TO USE the rear leg and hip.

When we actually swing....weight will shift. But it will shift 'at the right time'. It will be DRIVEN forward by the explosion of the rear hip/leg assembly.

If you shift before that....there is no weight shift IN YOUR SWING. If it shifts before that....it is shift THEN swing. The swing would be AFTER the shift. That is not what you're after.

Comment

Will work on it and put up new attempts when I think I'm seeing the one-leggedness and keeping the coil. Thanks!

Comment

Still pulling those arms! Losing that scap! !

Still lots of work to do to resist that "arm action"...

(Should get some game swing video this weekend)

Comment

Nice improvement. Keep at it. Things will smooth out.

When I get my tools I will offer more.

Comment

What type of batting cage is that?
            "Remember these two things: Play hard and have fun." -Tony Gwynn

Comment

Using his shoulders early to create stretch leads to using arms to direct the barrel.

Originally posted by mikecon View Post
              Still pulling those arms! Losing that scap! !

Still lots of work to do to resist that "arm action"...

(Should get some game swing video this weekend)

Comment

Originally posted by jason rheney View Post
                What type of batting cage is that?
                Jason,

It's cheap (under 300 bucks!) and lightweight but fit perfectly into the little space I have next to the pool! It's only 12x24 but works for tee work, side toss and front toss (with a screen) and I can stretch the back and shoot machine pitch through the hole at low speed from about 30'.

You can also connect additional modules to it to make it full length if you have the space.

They sell it at Dick's among other places...

Heaterâ„¢ Xtender 24' Home Batting Cage http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...uctId=11604774

Comment

Originally posted by Teacherman View Post

Thanks for the encouragement! He is still thinking he's only feeling the "L" in his scap with that big pull-"up" instead of pull-back. Working to get his hands lower and more forward and improve the SnF sequence and barrel turn into a proper pull-back and 'circle' around the corner.

We should be spending more time ingraining the mechanics with 100% preset but he's not comfortable approaching game swings that way. So trying to find a happy medium with a 'load' even though I know it's making for a slower transformation overall. We will get there!

Comment

Originally posted by ray View Post
                    Using his shoulders early to create stretch leads to using arms to direct the barrel.
                    Yes, there is work afoot.

Comment

Spent all of last weekend in the coach's box so no game vid.

(He was out in front of everything and didn't get it done in some clutch spots for most of the tourney but still led in H, TB, R and RBI. Killed it in BP every pre-game. Still getting comfortable and adjusted to giving into new 'feels' in game situations. But... 3 line outs (LF, SS, and RF) in Thu night school game; and the one to RF (oppo) was a real laser so that looked like a very good sign.)

Here's a dry swing from last night. Still not yet 'slashing the catcher's cheek' and could get more stretch but the sequence and weight looks improved. Baby steps.

Comment

Got to middle school game in time for his last AB. Double past the left fielder. Not sure what can be told from this angle (besides he went fishing for a pitch in his eyes!)

Comment

Nice. He's getting there. Definite barrel turn. High pitch but took a nice path to it.

Comment

Nice. He's getting there. Definite barrel turn. High pitch but took a nice path to it.
                            OK, good! And thanks!

From what I see, he's still lacking a corner and not passing through that 'truth' position as we continue to work on eliminating arm pull in early actions and maintaining the "L" in the scap longer. Agree?

I think we have lots of good advice for how to continue to work on it and just have to keep drilling it in. Of course, any other thoughts, insight, guidance is greatly appreciated!

Hope to have better game-swing video soon.

Comment

Yesterday afternoon. Very different pitch from previous vid (here down and away). Burned the RFer for double to fence. Still early arms, though, yes?

Comment

I would call it bleeding the corner. Not too bad. Just enough to cost him power. A typical step taken by barrel turners. First they learn the concept of turning the barrel....but they do it out front. Then they learn to get it behind the corner and stay behind the corner and.....WOW.

Keep working. He's getting more and more comfortable with each clip you post.

Comment

Working...
                                X