"I teach the hips". "I teach hip rotation". "The hips lead the hands". "Explode the hips". "The hips provide the power". "He has fast hips". "Connect to the hips". "With good connection hip rotation rotates the shoulders which rotates the barrel". "Use the big muscles of the hips".

How can the movement of one of the slowest moving parts of the body, provide the power?
How can the movement of one of the slowest moving parts of the body, provide speed?

Show me a clip of a hitter, whose hip movement drives his barrel.

Why have I written movement in italics?

Hip movement insinuates that there is movement in the hip sockets. Hip movement indicates a turning or rotating of the hips so that there is movement, in or of the hip sockets, around the ball of the femurs.

That movement is as rickety and sloppy and slack filled as the body can create. Hip rotation is s l o w. Hip rotation is sloppy. I challenge anyone to rotate their hips AND have the barrel feel that rotation directly, while creating anything near the speed needed in the batter box. IT CAN'T HAPPEN.

The movement of the hips, once again, I mean movement in the hip sockets, will never lead to the high level swing. If your hips are moving/rotating such that you have movement around the ball of the femurs....you will move like a new born colt. You will move like a top that has been spinning but has almost slowed to a stop and is wobbling. Hip rotation is simply wobbling your lower body. It is impossible to get any sudden speed out of the wobbling lower body. You can't rotate your hips without movement in BOTH hip sockets. As you move in both hip sockets you wobble.

The notion of the push/block/push, couldn't be a better example of the slow nature of hip rotation. The notion of the push/block/push couldn't be a better example of the wobble. Rotation first in the rear hip socket then advancing to the front hip socket as the weight transfers? Are you kidding me? Have you ever been in the batters box? Do you really think you can rotate one hip then the other and have a swing sudden enough to hit 95 and adjustable enough to hit 75 on demand? The lunacy of 'the hippers' is just unfathomable.

But OH MY it sounds smart. OH MY, if Ted said it it must be right. No matter that virtually NO ONE who does it duplicates Ted. No matter that a common sense look at how the hips work tell you that they are a sloppy rickety system. And that that system can not perform under the time and reaction stress of hitting a baseball or softball.

Hip rotation is EXTREMELY slow in the context of what a hitter must get done in the time allowed. The muscles that uncoil a coiled hip are WAY TOO SLOW for the task at hand. Add to that the fact that 'the hippers' want you to 'connect' to their hip movement, by firming up the torso, by getting the lead elbow up in the swing plane, by holding a hinge angle, while holding a 30 plus ounce bat....etc etc....which puts a tremendous load on the system.....and despite all of that they want you to use those massive slow muscles to....get this.....TO GENERATE SPEED.

OH MY what people fall for.

They want to use a tractor when you need a Vette. They want you to create a tractor out of your body to generate speed.

Virtually every young swing we see on the internet has the sloppy rickety look of him or her trying to rotate their hips while swinging a bat and what do you end up with? You get an arm push. Or a dragging bat. Or a dragging bat followed by an arm push. You must have one or the other, if not both, because you simply can not get hip rotation to the barrel.

Hip rotation can provide one thing and one thing only.....momentum. Hip rotation can NEVER be the driver. It is impossible to connect to hip rotation AND have the speed and suddenness of launch that you need to hit.

Hip rotation is a car in neutral. Hip rotation REQUIRES a second move to help get up to speed. Hip rotation....hip movement....will never produce a one move swing that can meet the challenge of hitting.

While you think, I'll move on to work.

Later, I'll offer the truth about the role of that big boney structure that can't be moved very fast by the muscles that move it.

Hip rotation is a fraud.