These two old and opposing hitting concepts are currently getting some discussion on the internet.

Here is a question from a relatively new message board member.....

Mts, what s the difference between using the" triangle", and using the 'box' cues?
He later says....

not sure what's in your mind, when one says "hitters box", but your words describe Exactly, word for word, the definition, Of Sparky Parkers, hitters box approach.
I guess he's trying to make the point that the action is the same whether you call it a triangle or a box.

OH MY

The first thing that jumps out of that statement to me is the fact that he can not see the difference in video. How can you look at a 'triangle turn' and claim it is the same as a 'box turn'.....EVEN AFTER THE TRIANGLE IS DRAWN ON THE VIDEO?

I'll tell you how.....it is very very simple....

HE DOESN'T SWING TO DUPLICATE MOVEMENTS

If he did, he wouldn't ask the question. When you swing to duplicate you learn cause and effect. You learn that what is 'seen'....isn't always true....but what is 'felt' is ALWAYS true.

Let me help the questioner....

A triangle turn pivots about the hands. THE BARREL PIVOTS ABOUT THE HANDS. A very short swing path. A very quick swing.
A box turn pivots about the spine. THE BARREL ROTATES ABOUT THE SPINE. A very long swing path. A very slow developing swing.

When you realize the significance of the triangle turn, that leads to other major discoveries....including the fact that hitters use one leg to stretch against so that they can pivot about the rear hip....and that they do not rotate the hips, nor the shoulders and that setting the lead arm in the swing plane and turning, simply doesn't happen in the swings of high level hitters.

For the sake of a visual that may help....when you turn a triangle, you create a PINWHEEL like look. When you turn a box, you create a merry-go-round like look.

Manny and his pinwheel....

....created by a hand pivot point and a rear hip pivot point.

A very amateur swing and it's merry-go-round....

....created by turning a box around the spine.