X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snowed In.....Looking At Clips......Hmmmmm

TILT AND TURN

It's amazing what you see after the fact.

Here are two clips from just before our religious conversion. We were still "under the influence" at the time these were made.

Really really similar setups and swings.

One swing hits the crap out of the ball.

The next doesn't touch the ball.

A SUPER example of the adjustability of PCR.........I mean the lack of it.

P.S. Don't pay attention to the plate to judge pitch location. He was setup based on where the pitches were coming....not according to the plate. The machine is not anchored to the ground so each visit the first thing you had to do was establish where the plate should be. Both pitches are pretty much "over the white line"......but one has a little tail to it. One a little further outside than the other. The biggest difference is the height of the pitch. Maybe a 6" difference.

ONE PIECE SPIN

SECOND ENGINE

Then, just 2 months later, look how much easier the adjustments are.

SEPARATION....STRETCH AND FIRE

Comment

That ball looks like it was crushed in the very first one!
      "Turning is for nascar." - Cosmo34
      "Think big or you will be small."
      "You can't think and hit at the same time." - Yogi Berra

Comment

SIDE BY SIDE COMPARISON

The current Second Engine swing side by side to the PCR swing.....both against the same pitcher, the best in the area, a year apart.

In the PCR year he struck out every time. Last year he hit this ball over the centerfielders head off the wall.

All YOU have to do is give up the Kool Aid.

Comment

When did he finally move to a two plane swing?

Comment

Our conversion started 09/06.

It was centered around just forearm rotation at that time. The discovery of the diagonal swing plane and how to create it with the hands/forearms.

From 09/06 through this past summer, 08/07, he trialed and erred his way through and ended up with an understanding of how not only did he need an upper body enema, he needed a lower body enema also. Meaning.....the running start, separation, and the stretch and fire were critical to the forearm rotation to optimize the swing.

After 6 years of trial and error and internet instruction, if I had a brand new student today, the first thing he would be taught is how to 'set the goal'. How to tell the body what you want done. Meaning......"body.....we're going to turn this barrel with our hands". As compared to "body.....we're going to learn to rotate". I would never introduce the lower body until the pattern is learned. And to learn the pattern the hands must be the conscious thought. The turning of the barrel must be the first thing learned. Once that is done, we will teach the body to "help better", through increased separation and by improving the timing and the quickness of the process.

Teaching rotation with no conscious thought of turning the barrel will teach rotation. It will not teach hitting.

In other words....learn the pattern....then get better at it. DO NOT SHORT CUT THE PATTERN.....Do not create a shortcut to get the "illusion" of being quicker to the ball.....by eliminating or shortening the separation process.....because you won't be quicker by shortening the process.

If anything....lengthen the process.....exaggerate it.......do it slower over more time.....during the wait time.....and learn to get to the proper position on time. Then, get better at it.

Comment

Loren and I just spoke on the phone today about the running start, hip rotation and momentum.

Momentum comes from the hips opening....the running start....not from weight shift. Weight shift is at "impulse".....at "go".

PCR sells it the exact opposite. And, therefore, they constantly drag the bat and rush.

In the side by side clip....look how far open the hips are in the 'new' clip as compared to the 'old' clip at the "go" move.

He has made better use of the 'wait' time.....opening....creating separation....not being rushed....so that at "go", he has cleared the hips, created a path for the swing, and everything is ready.

In the old technicque it was a constant "rush" to get there.

Why? Because he didn't get any of the swing prep done during the wait time. At "go", he still had to get EVERYTHING done. Not enough time. Too much to do.

Landing closed and being closed at "go" leaves more distance over which to apply force. However, there is no time to do it.

AND, make no mistake about it, with proper separation and stretch and fire launch mechanics.....you don't want nor need that distance.

Comment

Do you have any old clips from this close when you were not getting separation? It would help my new student (clips coming sometime tonight).

Comment

Weight shift and Weight transfer are NOT the same thing.
                  The HANDS and the HIPS DRIVE the Swing! The SHOULDERS are along for the ride.

Comment

Originally posted by swingbuilder View Post
                    Weight shift and Weight transfer are NOT the same thing.
                    Please explain the difference between what is meant by "weight shift" and "weight transfer".

According to Swingbuster "the goal is to feel the flow of weight from back to front and to be able to block the push and convert it to rotary power."

Comment

Originally posted by Pronk View Post
                      Do you have any old clips from this close when you were not getting separation? It would help my new student (clips coming sometime tonight).
                      Not sure what you're asking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Shelby Richards View Post
                        Please explain the difference between what is meant by "weight shift" and "weight transfer".

According to Swingbuster "the goal is to feel the flow of weight from back to front and to be able to block the push and convert it to rotary power."

I teach different term. Weight Pressure. You can spread your feet apart. Push (PRESSURE) from the back foot and feel it in the lead foot. But your still head over body (belly button). But you didnt change the Weight from back to front. You changed the Pressure.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mike28nc View Post
                          I teach different term. Weight Pressure. You can spread your feet apart. Push (PRESSURE) from the back foot and feel it in the lead foot. But your still head over body (belly button). But you didnt change the Weight from back to front. You changed the Pressure.

Mike
                          You earlier stated that "weight shift" and "weight transfer" were different.

You now speak of "weight pressure".

You seem to be all over the map in terms of your usage.

You still have not clarified your definition of "weight shift" and "weight transfer".

Please give a definition of what you mean by "weight shift", "weight transfer" and "weight pressure".

Comment

I like Donny's definition or statment.

Shift is moving the weight from back to front.

Transfer is moving the weight from inside the back leg to inside the front leg. OR as I tell most hitters I come in contact with. Its the ability to move the weight against the back leg to weight against the front leg.

There are some table setter type hitters who shift. They slap the ball more and run. Guys like Juan Pierre.

Im not a shift guy. Just doesnt mean to me what it means to some others. I was raised on transfer so transfer it is.
                            The HANDS and the HIPS DRIVE the Swing! The SHOULDERS are along for the ride.

Comment

Working...
                            X