Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

Starting down a new path

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting down a new path

Hello,
    I am starting down a new path with my son and his hitting. He is 13 and has done very well in the past with a more rotational two legged swing. As he has progressed though I have seen the limits of that swing and recognize the whip that is missing. He is a hard worker that loves baseball and I am now wanting him to channel that work and energy in a better direction.

I went in search of how to help him create the whip that I see in few players his age and more commonly at the higher levels of the game. That led me everywhere and eventually here. I have spent the better part of a week reading about everything here and this weekend we plan to get some video of my son for everyone's advice.

This week I have had him working on loading into the rear hip and turning the barrel. He has always been good at matching the plane of the ball with his swing, but I am de-emphasizing that as I try to get him in a more high level pattern.

One thing I need to understand better is the corner. Any advice about creating the corner would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and my son Jake is excited about this journey.

http://www.hittingillustrated.com/images/Corner.mov

Comment

I tried to find that clip without success. Very concise.

Comment

Thanks for the video: That is what I needed. I took a few videos of Jake this morning and I am working on posting them. They are too big so I am working on editing. Hopefully I can get them cropped down soon.

Comment

Jake Swing 1.mov
          This was a tee swing from this morning.

Comment

This is a game swing: Sorry about the quality and the angle.
            Clips18-08-11_03-15.mov

Comment

Not sure why that didn’t work. Is there a file format I have to use?

Comment

I don’t think the system is currently set up for hosting files. You can link them from where you store them, or you can link them from YouTube, be sure to adjust it to unlisted if you don’t want it public.

Comment

Tee swing this morning:
                  https://youtu.be/PPzsAQnOeyY
                  Game swing: not close up and filmed by his sister.
                  https://youtu.be/Qf6pXAmOSwk

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

A little better video of a game swing:
                    https://youtu.be/F1fDqjYT6CM

Comment

Whole bunch of good in his swing. I'd like to see the hand pivot point get tighter.

Comment

Thanks for the comment and direction. We will work on getting the hand pivot tighter. The game swings shown were good ones. There are pop ups that I am sure I can find that might reveal more, but Jake picked these clips. I will let him work on the hand pivot and the corner that we worked on Saturday and we will see where it leads us.

Comment

Here is another game swing from this weekend. He has been working on getting tighter hand pivot. We are trying to get coil around back hip also
                          https://youtu.be/rw7BNPN27Us

Any help is appreciated.
                          Thanks.

Comment

Decent swing. Needs to do pvc pole work to learn a tight hand pivot point.

Comment

One reason I don’t spend as much time here as I would like is because it’s too cumbersome to upload video and then link to the video in a post. Twitter has made life so much easier.

So, for any member interested, send your email address to schenck5@swbell.net. I will give you access to my Dropbox and then I can refer you to videos there that will help you.

Comment

Working...
                              X