Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

Swing still coming a little uncoiled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swing still coming a little uncoiled

Hey just wondering if I could get anyone’s help or opinion. Been working on things. I still see a bit of a weight transfer before my swing or uncoil of my lower. I was wondering what to do to work on fixing it. Here’s the link on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKThya1NQBg
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Tyler Lowe; 06-25-2018, 08:46 PM.

link isn't working, you have too many http: in the link

Comment

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tKThya1NQBg
      Thanks for letting me know!!

Comment

Originally posted by Teacherman View Post
        When you look for separation what are you wanting to see?

If you are looking for hemisphere separation you are looking in the wrong area, IMO. If you are looking for a feeling of stretch between the hands and the rear hip....you are looking in the right place....and the 'look' varies hitter to hitter. In some the hips really turn forward. In others not so much.

What they ALL have is a drive train....a torsion spring....wound tight.....with more energy than the look would seem to offer.
        Coil around thr rear hip socket. It looks like your laterally pushing in to the front side

Comment

Default Hip Coil Drill
          Proper Rear Hip Coil

Underneath a high level swing is a proper rear hip coil. The above clip demonstrates that the coil is the rear hip socket loading around the ball of the rear leg femur. It is not a sway. It is not a load against the leg. It is a load that is 'around' the ball of the femur. The specifics of this load lead to the suddenness of the high level swing.

Many kids, when they coil, they coil at the waist. They get 'hemisphere' separation. They get upper body versus lower body separation. Their shoulders go back....and their hips open. They get a torso counter rotation move instead of a coil deep in the hip socket. The high level pattern requires a much more specific move....a much more specific area where the coil takes place. And that is deep in the rear hip socket.

Comment

Resistance is the absolute in all areas of the swing.

And the resistance must be offered by the rear leg against the rear hip....and vice versa....for it to translate to the hands.

IF the resistance is from the lead leg....holding/turning back as the rear hip tries to turn forward....as taught by many....then you do not have a direct connection to the barrel. To 'break' that resistance you will have to be pushing forward in a 'weight shift' fashion with the rear hip and you'll end up 'weight forward' at break. Your connection will be to your lead arm as the lead leg accepts weight....and you will push or pull the hands forward to catch up....which will then lead to the drag and slop associated with that move.

However, when your resistancs is rear hip to rear leg, you will develop a 'turning' action of the rear hip....against the rear leg resistance....and against the hand/barrel action....and this allows the weight to remain back. And with the rest of the torso and handsetting action being 'behind' you....your rear hip will end up pulling instead of pushing at 'go'. There will be a direct connection.

When Andre Ethier....and Manny....and others speak of their one legged balance....there is a reason. A very important reason associated with making the barrel 'feel it' immediately.
            Something to read and understand about the coil

Comment

Comment

Thanks mike,
                In this video I physically feel like I can not go anymore around the hip at preset. I feel as if my leg is like a barber pole like wrapped around as I move forward here I try and hold it. I don’t know if this is better or what I should really work on to maybe get around the ball of the hip even more. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sGMHq_ZNx2U

Comment

I see a suddenness in your second swing and no movement towards the pitcher not that that’s bad but you have to do it with a coil not a lateral shift.

Well.....you haven't separated. So....no....yes.

His rear hip is in the 'center' of both his coil and uncoil and 'go'.

He gets some momentum AFTER he separates.

The point is......coil/uncoil first....separate first....then get forward momentum.

I continually see forward momentum first...then an attempt to separate....and then the hands come forward as you begin to shift early...then they try to turn the barrel....and it's sloppy. It's not tight.

If you feel your forward momentum.....you either have too much.....or you haven't separated first.
                  See if this helps some.

Comment

Look how his rear leg rotates around rearward towards the pitcher as he shifts forward tightening the coil
                    Last edited by Mike; 06-27-2018, 01:26 PM.

Comment

So as I try and copy your move , I feel the need to pullback harder against the forward turning leg.

Comment

https://youtu.be/f2fa7ZQeKsU

A video explanation from Richard

Comment

That one video or pujols helps a lot. I’m trying more around hip here while I’m moving forward. Still feel like I need even more tho. I can see it a little more tho http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So9ExrQmjdk

Comment

I see your headed in the right direction.listen to this, Richard is talking about the pullback and scap but explains the relationship with the coil and hip socket connection.

https://youtu.be/JSAE27LzULI

See if you can copy and feel what Richard is doing in this video. I think this is going to be a real eye opener for you. Then read the post LESSONS LEARNED THIS WEEKEND. About fused torso, really great stuff. Keep up the good work Tyler.
                            Last edited by Mike; 06-29-2018, 02:59 PM.

Comment

It happens at go. The scap/spine junction is tight. The scap resists. The spine bursts through the resistance. Another way of saying the scap never stops pulling back. The spine bursting through the scap is done by the rear leg winning the SnF battle. As the leg turns, it turns the fused torso. The turning fused torso meets strong resistance from the scap. Scap does not surrender. It gets beaten by the spine.

More thoughts on scap

http://www.hittingillustrated.com/images/SpineScap1.mov

First option is amateur.

Second option is high level.
                              Last edited by Mike; 06-29-2018, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X