Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

Trying to Match Bonds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to Match Bonds

After attending the clinic that TM put on a few weeks back and getting a better understanding of what 'swinging in a phone booth' means. Teach made the comment that Barry Bonds was best example of swinging in a phone booth...that he was able to create a lot of rotary power without a whole lot of movement...or something along those lines. I decided to study some Bonds clips and try to duplicate. Here are my first attempts...I also just want to get my swing back under the microscope to continue to improve it
    Bonds:

I usually don't have the clip of Bonds handy so trying to duplicate from memory

Since starting to try to match Bonds I have felt new good things and my bat seems to be getting to and thru contact faster than before not sure what I'm doing different other than trying to create a lot of power while 'swinging in a phone booth'
    Last edited by jsoriano; 01-03-2018, 11:15 AM.

Jsor looks great to me but I am a newbie. At what point do you feel the barrel finally getting into the zone ( going forward towards the ball) ? I'm trying but when I barrel snap its killing my wrist and I am stuck way behind. I'm watching your swing and I am trying to stay more square to the ball with my upper body to stay through it more and when I watch your swing I see you get that lead shoulder up and around with a nice long finish. Since the hands are on their own path and don't have to follow the upper body am I ok to just let that upper half go ?

Comment

Originally posted by jsoriano View Post
      After attending the clinic that TM put on a few weeks back and getting a better understanding of what 'swinging in a phone booth' means. Teach made the comment that Barry Bonds was best example of swinging in a phone booth...that he was able to create a lot of rotary power without a whole lot of movement...or something along those lines. I decided to study some Bonds clips and try to duplicate. Here are my first attempts...I also just want to get my swing back under the microscope to continue to improve it
      Bonds:

I usually don't have the clip of Bonds handy so trying to duplicate from memory

Since starting to try to match Bonds I have felt new good things and my bat seems to be getting to and thru contact faster than before not sure what I'm doing different other than trying to create a lot of power while 'swinging in a phone booth'
      I like your last swing the best!!

Comment

Good looking swing, I like the last one also. I am struck by Bond's finish though. All in on the swing until he his shoulders are 180 degrees and the rear foot squirts toward the plate. Hard to imitate him without that, in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Phabric8 View Post
          Jsor looks great to me but I am a newbie. At what point do you feel the barrel finally getting into the zone ( going forward towards the ball) ? I'm trying but when I barrel snap its killing my wrist and I am stuck way behind. I'm watching your swing and I am trying to stay more square to the ball with my upper body to stay through it more and when I watch your swing I see you get that lead shoulder up and around with a nice long finish. Since the hands are on their own path and don't have to follow the upper body am I ok to just let that upper half go ?
          When executed right the barrel feels like it gets in the zone right away...deep. Can you post a clip of your swing to see what's happening?

Comment

Originally posted by garvancarver View Post
            Good looking swing, I like the last one also. I am struck by Bond's finish though. All in on the swing until he his shoulders are 180 degrees and the rear foot squirts toward the plate. Hard to imitate him without that, in my mind.
            Hoping I can duplicate that without faking it.

Comment

Not really trying to duplicate Bonds here but playing around with the 'swinging in a phone booth' concept confining the space I can move in.

Comment

Latest...

Here I'm experimenting with something TM said at the clinic I attended in Dec. I remember him saying and demo-ing that you can tilt as much as possible and still be able to hit a line drive...I plan on doing this more as an exercise...probably won't do it with very many kids I work with though

Latest Bonds attempt...been trying to emulate Bond's posture...one difference I noticed right away comparing my swing to his is he gets 'sat' way more that I was previously

Comment

Like what I see

Comment

Working...
                  X