Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

How do you fix a spinal pivot point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you fix a spinal pivot point

I’ve been reading up on some old threads and blog posts about the hand pivot point and I think I have a good understanding of how it works. I also think I have a good understanding of the spinal pivot point which I believe is the pivot point I’m using. I’ve tried for buckets at a time off the tee trying to hit the ball oppo, but haven’t been been able to hit anything remotely close to the second baseman, all right back at the pitcher or pulled. That’s the best evidence I’ve seen of a spinal pivot point. Looking at footage, what I THINK I’m seeing is a spinal pivot point but I’m not totally sure. Anyone willing to offer their $0.02 on what is happening and how I can fix it? Thank you [IMG][/IMG]

Originally posted by AidanJ View Post
    I’ve been reading up on some old threads and blog posts about the hand pivot point and I think I have a good understanding of how it works. I also think I have a good understanding of the spinal pivot point which I believe is the pivot point I’m using. I’ve tried for buckets at a time off the tee trying to hit the ball oppo, but haven’t been been able to hit anything remotely close to the second baseman, all right back at the pitcher or pulled. That’s the best evidence I’ve seen of a spinal pivot point. Looking at footage, what I THINK I’m seeing is a spinal pivot point but I’m not totally sure. Anyone willing to offer their $0.02 on what is happening and how I can fix it? Thank you [IMG][/IMG]
    Can you post a clip in regular speed?

Comment

Originally posted by jsoriano View Post
      Can you post a clip in regular speed?

Here you go
      Last edited by AidanJ; 10-19-2017, 09:35 AM. Reason: The gif won’t work

Comment

Here you go
        Thanks. A couple things stand out to me
        1. not turning the barrel
        2. You look 'all back, all forward' in your movement

Are you familiar with the command drill yet?

Comment

Thanks. A couple things stand out to me
          1. not turning the barrel
          2. You look 'all back, all forward' in your movement

Are you familiar with the command drill yet?
          The command drill? I don’t think I’ve read anything on that yet. And by turning the barrel you mean pronation and supination right?
          Last edited by AidanJ; 10-19-2017, 06:47 AM.

Comment

The command drill? I don’t think I’ve read anything on that yet. And by turning the barrel you mean pronation and supination right?
            Yes, to turn the barrel you have to pronate bottom hand and supinate top hand...but you have to do that instantly to launch your swing...it needs to be the trigger. Here's me doing a stop swing in a drill...turning the barrel 90degrees around the rear forearm to contact

This is command drill...you get post-stride and load from there and then just to turn the barrel to unload. Great drill...it exposes flaws

Comment

Yes, I to turn the barrel you have to pronate bottom hand and supinate top hand...but you have to do that instantly to launch your swing...it needs to be the trigger. Here's me doing a stop swing in a drill...turning the barrel 90degrees around the rear forearm to contact

This is command drill...you get post-stride and load from there and then just to turn the barrel to unload. Great drill...it exposes flaws
              Alright, thanks. I’m going to do both of these drills later today. I understand the command drill, but am a little confused on the “90 degree around the forearm” on the stop drill. So the axis of rotation is the rear wrist and the barrels turning around that (the wrist) at launch because of the snap?

Comment

[QUOTE=AidanJ;96401]Alright, thanks. I’m going to do both of these drills later today. I understand the command drill, but am a little confused on the “90 degree around the forearm” on the stop drill. So the axis of rotation is the rear wrist and the barrels turning around that (the wrist) at launch because of the snap?[/QUOTE]
                I think technically the rear forearm is the axis...but I think you understand. The barrel turns...swivels 90degrees around the rear forearm at the wrist

Comment

[QUOTE=jsoriano;96402]
                  Alright, thanks. I’m going to do both of these drills later today. I understand the command drill, but am a little confused on the “90 degree around the forearm” on the stop drill. So the axis of rotation is the rear wrist and the barrels turning around that (the wrist) at launch because of the snap?[/QUOTE]
                  I think technically the rear forearm is the axis...but I think you understand. The barrel turns...swivels 90degrees around the rear forearm at the wrist

Ohh okay, yeah thank you for confirming, I’ll be sure to do those drills today. Thanks

Comment

Watch the rear elbow path. It slots down and then rides the rib cage around and your hands start to plunge to the ball and then you take a wicked left turn. No way you can hit oppo with that.

Watch Turner's rear elbow

The answer is exactly what JS is talking about. Total, total, total buy in to turn the barrel immediately. Do not be shy about splitting the grip and learning to turn. Shut down the need to turn your torso to get the barrel moving. Do it with your hands and forearms.

Comment

Yes, to turn the barrel you have to pronate bottom hand and supinate top hand...but you have to do that instantly to launch your swing...it needs to be the trigger. Here's me doing a stop swing in a drill...turning the barrel 90degrees around the rear forearm to contact

That command drill right there is scary good

Comment

Originally posted by RayR View Post
                        Watch the rear elbow path. It slots down and then rides the rib cage around and your hands start to plunge to the ball and then you take a wicked left turn. No way you can hit oppo with that.

Watch Turner's rear elbow

The answer is exactly what JS is talking about. Total, total, total buy in to turn the barrel immediately. Do not be shy about splitting the grip and learning to turn. Shut down the need to turn your torso to get the barrel moving. Do it with your hands and forearms.
                        Woah that’s an awesome angle. I totally see what you’re saying about my left turn and elbow slot/path. There’s no way I’m going to be able to hit through the ball since I’m spinning off so hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben View Post
                          That command drill right there is scary good
                          I was trying it this afternoon, and had trouble with it. Do you start off constraining the load, or just stand in 50/50 stance and swing with the snap?

Comment

I was trying it this afternoon, and had trouble with it. Do you start off constraining the load, or just stand in 50/50 stance and swing with the snap?
                            Definitely not 50/50...let me see if I can walk you thru it...

1. position yourself in a post stride stance.
                            2. coil rear hip around the rear leg and hold the coil
                            3. continue load up the rear strip of the back
                            4. clamp the scap next to the spine and keep it clamped
                            5. keep the load ongoing even though you are no longer moving...muscles still working to keep the resistance in place
                            6. with all the resistance still in place just turn the barrel to unload...must launch it rearward

Comment

Woah that’s an awesome angle. I totally see what you’re saying about my left turn and elbow slot/path. There’s no way I’m going to be able to hit through the ball since I’m spinning off so hard.
                              Play around with this as you go through what JS just wrote wrt coil

Load your rear forearm by "twisting" it (turning thumb to body / pronation) but keep a firm grip on the handle with your top hand. Then to swing unload your forearm as quickly as you can. Your top hand thumb should hook the bat handle as the forearm unloads (supinates).

Comment

Working...
                              X