Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

Forearms vs Hands/Wrists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forearms vs Hands/Wrists

Been kicking this around and prob a no brainer for most. Focusing on the hands to turn the barrel sometimes feels really disconnected and the barrel feels like it gets away from me even with a clamped scap.

But, if I place more focus on the forearms to turn the barrel I feel more connected / tighter swing radius

I know I am probably weaving in and out of really getting all the links right, but the forearm cue works better for me.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Does it matter?

It is the forearms. Always has been.

Three elements of the barrel turn are Forearm Rotation, Triangle Turn and Torso Lateral tilt.

Comment

One of the original demos.

All of these clips are labeled "forearms" something.

Comment

Thank you. It makes much more sense.

Comment

It surprising how the obvious to one person is not so obvious to another. I was working on turning the barrel and felt the difference between turning the barrel with the wrist, and kind of losing control, vs with the forearms and wrist. Prior to this site my hitters, because of me, are turning the barrel more by rotating their body around the forearms or at least it seems that way. This whole process has been a real discovery for me.

Comment

Good info here.

That and the Corner video should get you a long way, Mike.

Comment

Thanks I appreciate all the help and guidance. I'm excited for my kids. I'll look for the corner post.

Comment

Turn to the barrel rearward

Comment

Aha moment? Should have been.

Comment

It was for me but but unfortunately it wasn’t for her. The struggle has always been that she can’t feel the small changes in the swing taking place. I’m hoping that she’ll be able to master and feel the high level swing. I video her swing and show them to her so she can adjust it. I also have some drills we do repeatedly. The fight continues.

Part of her slow growth has been my changing her hitting style several time over the last 2 years. I promised her this is the hitting method I’ve been searching for and that it will get her to college. I’ve read some of Richard’s old post and they have been a real eye opener. I now realize proper coil and swinging one legged is everything.to early rearward bat speed.
                    Last edited by Mike; 04-08-2018, 04:27 AM.

Comment

Could it be that her current scap-hip axis is optimal for balls that are really high?

Maybe her current setup is not able to adjust to lower pitches without breaking down her axis and forcing her hands to drop?

Comment

Look how low TM and Ted's hands are relative to their chins in the clips above...

Comment

I’m sure a lot more than I understand is going on here. We were working on coiling , staying one legged, and wringing it out.

Comment

So your scap-hip axis kind of sets up your swing plane. It establishes a working range for which you can adjust a little with tilt. It seems like when your DD swings at really high pitches, she is able to turn the barrel and get a snappy rear leg. I feel like her setup which is defining her scip (scap-hip axis) is not giving her good adjustability to balls that are mid to lower in the range.

This is why I've been talking about how high her hands are. I think that she is in a place that is not allowing her to turn the barrel without lowering her hands (but by then it is too late).

Comment

Agreed, so lower her hand set is what your suggestioning? We have experimented with that and she likes it but raises them when we are concentrating on other things. I will see her tomorrow and work on a lower hand set. Thanks much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X