Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

What Makes The Barrel Turn KEEP A Hand/Forearm Axis....Instead Of A Spinal Axis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Makes The Barrel Turn KEEP A Hand/Forearm Axis....Instead Of A Spinal Axis?

What does The Club force to happen?

From either handset.....Brandon's barrel turn remains 'about his forearms'.

What is the teach to make sure that happens?

The ULL girls do it quite well.

Tewks made a big deal out of it.....but incorrectly.

Comment

Pulling rear hip/ open the door.
      Last edited by ropes; 06-03-2016, 07:17 AM.
      Go Illini !!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Lead elbow jut?

Comment

Its feels like the teach would be...torque the handle and swivel with scap pull back

Comment

GET THE REAR ELBOW THROUGH.

But HOW you do it is extremely important.

Tewks found the benefit of getting the rear elbow through, but then went off the deep end by teaching to do it through EXTERNAL ROTATION of the humerus.....which is an automatic swing lengthener. External Rotation of the humerus simply can not be allowed.

Cabrera keeps his elements in line. Colabello Externally Rotates his Humerus.

So....how do you get it through correctly? You fuse your torso and make sure the three elements of the Second Engine all work concentrically (if that is a word)....at the same angle....as much as is physically possible. The hand pivot point turns the barrel perpendicular to the rear forearm. But....the angle at which the rear arm sets in your handset, determines, initially, the angle the barrel takes in relation to the strike zone. We call it the diagonal swing plane. So....you have to make sure that the triangle turn (lead elbow raising and rear elbow replacing the lead elbow.....the jut) and the lateral tilt (torso tilting over the back of the ball of the femur) are concentric with the barrel turn. Yes, pitch location eventually distorts the triangle and the tilt. But you have to do your best to keep them concentric. Otherwise you have three elements working against each other instead of with each other.

Proper triangle turn and lateral tilt, will make sure the rear elbow gets through. And by doing it this way (as compared to the External Rotation way) you will create and maintain the corner.

But if your three elements are not working concentrically, your elbow won't get through, and you'll find yourself with a spinal axis. The rearward launch of the barrel by the hands/forearms WITH the triangle turn....that action gets the elbow through and keeps you behind the corner.

Another check point is the vertical rear elbow.....or....keeping the hands up by the rear ear through the beginning of the launch.

YOU DO NOT SLOT THEN SWING.....however.....pick up a bat.....turn the barrel.....but do it so that the rear elbow slots and the lead elbow juts. Do it with the intention of getting the elbow into and through the slot. You can do it wrong. You can turn the barrel and not get the elbow through. Practice it. Get it right. You'll find a quicker bat. You'll find a deeper contact point. You'll find you will never pull off the ball again. You'll find you will not roll over.

You will also discover, if you haven't already....THE END OF THE SWING. And the end of the swing is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT. How can you time a pitch if there is no end to your swing. Timing a pitch means getting the end of the swing to the ball at the right time. Timing is not getting the bat moving and hoping that the ball intersects within a window of time. Timing is timing the ball to a spot. A spot at which the barrel and the ball arrive at the same time. Remember....the swing must be INSTANTANEOUS. Sudden. Over. Done. Launched and Spent. Instantly. Therefore, by it's very nature....there must be an end. Learning about the end....knowing the end....knowing what the end feels like....and working to get the end to the ball at the right time means.....waiting waiting waiting waiting waiting....BOOM. SUDDEN. NOW. It means WHEN you launch you have to know the end. You have to know what you're doing. Where you're going. And when you need to get there....which is always NOW. So what is timing? Timing is judging the WAIT period.....it is not judging the swing length. The swing length must be the same for all pitches. Fastball, offspeed....ALL PITCHES. It must be as humanly short as possible. It must be instantaneous. To be instantaneous there must be an end to it.

Learn the end.

Comment

One more hint.

Where must the end be?

It has to be at the bottom of the downstroke by feel.

Keep in mind....there is a follow through. After contact.

I'm talking about the creation of energy. When. Where. How. I'm not speaking about the follow through.

Comment

Does your rear elbow do this when you take a pitch?

Why not?

Not promoting her step in the bucket. But I am promoting the elbow through.

Comment

Comment

You won't Pinwheel unless you get your rear elbow through.

You will Merry-Go-Round (about the spine) if you don't get your elbow through.

Comment

Originally posted by Teacherman View Post

Teach,
                      Can you swing with the club on at all pitch locations? I've never tried doing anything other than stop swings or hitting into a bag with the club on. Or is just a good exercise to do some dry swinging with the club on to get a feel for what you are talking about in this thread?

Comment

We never hit a live ball or off a tee with the Club. I used to to teach the feeling of a fused torso through dry swings.

Comment

Originally posted by Teacherman View Post

Teach I am looking to either buy one of these(the club) or make one. Do you have any for sale? or could you show me how to make one? I know there is a picture of one on here somewhere not on Brandon.

Thanks!!!

Comment

Comment

Thanks Teach!

Comment

Working...
                              X