Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

How Many Degrees Are Needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Many Degrees Are Needed?

How many degrees does Manny use?

Looking at his barrel....it travels more than 180 degrees to contact. But not everyone launches from max tip.
    Looking at his shoulders....they travel more than 90 degrees....to contact. ( but not independently)
    Looking at the stripe on his rear leg....it travels more than 90 degrees....to contact.

My point is this....

The leg drives the resisting shoulders. Stretch is developed so that as the leg drives the shoulders resist....they stay back....closed. Where are his shoulders at launch? Where do they end up? I'm using his shoulders as a checkpoint not an engine. They travel a distance of more than 90 degrees. To launch an effective swing....you need that kind of range of motion. But not for energy creation....that happens instantly....as the stretch is broken. YOU NEED IT FOR DIRECTION.

If you are not positioned correctly at launch....you will get turned forward....out front....too early. The SnF unload will turn you 'out front' very quickly. The quick sudden turn is excellent. But....if you're too open with the upper half you'll get turned forward to much too soon and your arms will have to push the barrel to keep it in the contact zone.

You must load/stretch/setup so that your launch of more than 90 degrees....results in deep contact. How....coil properly, and pull back properly such that you get into a 'closed lead shoulder' position. Hold it as much as you can even as the leg starts to win. This will keep you back and allow the 'barrel turn launch' to remain deep and through the zone instead of out front.

This kid is closed like he should be.

But for the wrong reason.

His closure is necessary to provide distance over which he can apply a forward pushing force. He needs a lot of distance because there is nothing sudden about his launch. ZERO SnF. Closure gives him direction....but also distance over which to push the barrel. When you push the barrel forward you need more distance/time to get it up to speed. So his barrel speed ends up WAY out front.

Comment

Attacking Oppo should be done daily by everyone.

You can't attack oppo with a lead shoulder that pulls open or turns open to soon.

Comment

Counter rotation of the shoulders is a 'dirty' word in hitting forums. Bat wrap is another. Critics complain about 'how far' the barrel must travel to get to contact. They say hitters don't have that much time. (Even when clips of Manny, Bonds, Pujols, AGon, Ortiz, Brett etc etc are shown to them)

There is no counter rotation of the shoulders....or bat wrap....even when the appearance is there....when the pivot points are the hands AND the rear hip socket. Two engines....pivoting the barrel simultaneously....is what they don't understand. TWO engines....hand pivot point....and rear hip pivot point....BOTH....turning the barrel....with stretch between them....actually makes the swing quicker.....and keeps it deep.

You must learn to understand this clip. Don't let the slow motion fool you.

Comment

Originally posted by Teacherman View Post
          How many degrees does Manny use?

Looking at his barrel....it travels more than 180 degrees to contact. But not everyone launches from max tip.
          Looking at his shoulders....they travel more than 90 degrees....to contact. ( but not independently)
          Looking at the stripe on his rear leg....it travels more than 90 degrees....to contact.

My point is this....

The leg drives the resisting shoulders. Stretch is developed so that as the leg drives the shoulders resist....they stay back....closed. Where are his shoulders at launch? Where do they end up? I'm using his shoulders as a checkpoint not an engine. They travel a distance of more than 90 degrees. To launch an effective swing....you need that kind of range of motion. But not for energy creation....that happens instantly....as the stretch is broken. YOU NEED IT FOR DIRECTION.

If you are not positioned correctly at launch....you will get turned forward....out front....too early. The SnF unload will turn you 'out front' very quickly. The quick sudden turn is excellent. But....if you're too open with the upper half you'll get turned forward to much too soon and your arms will have to push the barrel to keep it in the contact zone.

You must load/stretch/setup so that your launch of more than 90 degrees....results in deep contact. How....coil properly, and pull back properly such that you get into a 'closed lead shoulder' position. Hold it as much as you can even as the leg starts to win. This will keep you back and allow the 'barrel turn launch' to remain deep and through the zone instead of out front.
          Very much agree with the strong observations here, Teach.

Now look at this clip: Using the same criteria in shoulder resistance against the leg drive, what do you see?

Originally posted by mikecon View Post
          One of the hardest hit balls this kid has ever produced...

Last edited by Al Oha; 08-28-2014, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X