Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

Hurricane Iselle to hit Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane Iselle to hit Hawaii

Minially's school is closed thursday and friday. (He is a sophomore now!. Time is flying)
    This is my opinion on the hurricanes in Hawaii.
    For past 2 decades, we always have hurricane threats. Everyone prepares and nothing happens.
    Even in my mind, I was hesitant to buy stuff for years.
    I used to get prepared every time.
    Almost like the story "the boy who cried wolf"
    This one is different. Right now, it is dark when it is normally bright with sunshine. The rain is intermittently heavy and then nothing..
    What got me was that my partner at work, got a call from her husband who works on Kauai for an electricity plant. He is being sent home to the island of Hawaii because of the hurricane. He knew this on Monday.
    So it must be a real threat.

I am prepared as best as I can be. I hope there will be little or no damage.

Once it hits my island, supposedly tomorrow, it will move on and hit Aloha's island on Friday. I can tell you this, I think their timing is off. Our weather is funky right now, one day before it supposed to hit.

Will keep in touch.

On another note, one of the teams (senior) in Little League are going to Bangor, Maine to play in the World Series!!!!! The team is from Central East Maui Little League which is in my District.

About 6 weeks ago we had 'another' tornado warning. I'm 59 years old. I've lived through hundreds of these 'wolf cries'. I didn't totally ignore it....but I didn't take safety. Just another storm.

Well....the tornado hit the building that my business is in.

No damage to my business. But it damaged another business on the other end.

That wakes you up a bit.

Be careful, Allistair.

Comment

Thursday morning 6:12AM. The temperature is cold! The past 7 days, it was very muggy and hot at night. Last night, it wasnt too muggy but this morning, it is freezing.

Thanks Teach! Will do.

Comment

House is boarded up. Electricity still on. We had a little rain for about an hour around 4:30PM and it is clear like a normal day right now at 6:30PM. But the hurricane is bearing down on my island and is hitting the opposite side of the island right now. Well at least, that is what the news just said. Nothing serious yet though.

Comment

4.5 Earthquake in Waimea, north of Alli, earlier this AM. Boy, you guys are getting a double whammy. Got our prayers...Stay safe.

Comment

Thanks Al!
            Its 11:45PM and nothing has happened on our side of the island yet. We see the news of downed trees in Puna area. However, those trees are Albizia Trees that are known to fall when the wind picks up. Its common and they were trying to rid the area of those trees months ago. Our electricity is still on.
            I hope the rest of the night goes like this. We would be fortunate.

Comment

9:45AM, with the exception of some wind and rain, nothing effected our side. We had normal storms worst than this.
              We are fortunate.

to put it into perspective, my batting cage would not have been affected and would still stand. (It is down)

Comment

Well it is 6:45PM and we had absolutely nothing serious! We are lucky. I heard that Oahu and Maui was getting pounded. I took down some boards on the house but we have one more storm on the way called julio. I am keeping everything else tied down and boarded up until it is not a threat.

Comment

Alli, glad to hear it dodged you. God bless!

Comment

What I learned through this ordeal, is that my beliefs have changed. I am pro-new technologies and up to date weather forecasters. I never believed what the old hawaiians always said. They said that the mountains (Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea) play a huge role in what hits us. No hurricane ever hit us (the big island). Sure there were times when a the outskirts touched the Kohala area which is the northern most area and has their own Kohala mountain. But it is dwarfed to our two Big volcanoes.
                    Modern day weather forecasters have always said that the mountains play no role and that hurricanes are just too big for the mountains to do anything at all. The old hawaiian tales are just that.........fable tales. For those who believe the mountains protect them, are foolish.
                    After Iselle, I am not so sure that the modern day scientists are correct. In fact, I am leaning way more toward the old hawaiian tales.
                    I dont give a shit about how ignorant it may sound, the proof is in the pudding.
                    The hurricane hit with 45-55 mph winds in the Puna area. That is not a hurricane. The puna area is on the side that the mountains could not protect.
                    Modern day scientist state that within a 35 mile radius of the eye, that is where you would see winds consistent at 75-90mph, with gust up to 110mph. If you look at the track of the hurricane, my residence was less than 20 miles from the center. We had nothing.
                    Once it cleared our island, they called it a tropical storm, which is a far cry from what they predicted to hit my island.
                    A few weather forecasters were bold to say that the mountains had altered the hurricane. In fact some said, that it sheared off the top of the hurricane. Clearly the eye of the storm could not go over the mountain. It actually went "around" and crossed over at a lower point. ( It actually crossed over Hawaiian Ocean View Estates, which is the southern flank of Mauna Loa. It is low). In fact, the prediction was the eye was supposed to pass over the land area between our two big mountains. Then the changed their minds. For 10 hours, the scientist were silent and then they said, "we are not out of the woods yet" "The hurricane has slowed and the eye is still approaching. 4 hours later, they came back on and concentrated on the other islands of Maui and Oahu. NOTHING was said about if the eye had passed us. But the hurricane tracker clearly showed it past us. We were shocked to see it traveled over south point and nothing was felt by us.

I truly wonder why the scientist cant just be honest. Say that the mountains have played a role. Eat crow. Be humble, But no, they didnt.

The double whammy with hurricane Julio? Eat crow again!!!!!
                    I could have been at the beach and having a BBQ.

And they get paid the big bucks!

So if they are any kids in high school who just read this, from me to you...........go to college!
                    With a degree, you can be wrong, dont have to admit it, and get paid alot to do it! and you get to keep your job!!!!

Comment

That's an awesome story. I love it when science butts heads with tribal knowledge and loses...

The scientists are just like the people who left HI... Too much pride to admit that they're have been wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X