Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

Why Does THIS Work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Does THIS Work?

Because it removes the HOLDING OF THE BAT from his arms. His arms have NOTHING to do. They have nothing they have to do to get the job done.

Most kids have always swung with their arms. Therefore, in their stance, in their setup, the bat is HELD BY THE ARMS. It is held by the arms because their current swing NEEDS the arms to work. It is held by the arms in such a way so that the arms are activated immediately. And even though their activation is immediate, they can not produce an immediate, sudden swing. They work in a way that they have to move forward to produce any momentum. This forward move takes time and is simply unusable in the batters box. I know. I did it all my life.

What the clip above teaches is how to get the body to do the work. It takes the arms out of the equation. The bat is HELD BY THE BODY. It's weight is supported by the body. You simply 'work' your rear hip socket and you will learn how to get all the way to contact with JUST body movement. Then, you should be able to 'feel' how a simple wrist flick is all that is necessary to finish the puzzle. A rearward wrist flick, swiveled, enhances the stretch and finishes the swing.

It really is not that hard to do. I suspect many have done it, but passed on it because it didn't feel like they were working hard enough. You see, you want the BARREL to feel the speed.....not the body. When you try to make your body feel like it is fast and working hard the barrel is dragging. Keep the body quiet, let the energy go to the barrel.

A SnF release does not feel like work. It is short and sudden. The body feels very quiet when you compare it to an arm swing. The head feels very still.

The entire purpose....benefit....of The Truth position....is to get the body to swing the bat. To remove the arms. To create a sudden release.

When the barrel finds the truth position, things happen very smoothly. It distributes the resistance such that the body will do the work.

When it never gets there the arms are going to take over.

In the uppercut drill, the weight of the resistance is distributed perfectly for the body to work effectively.

Comment

Off Topic here, but I just noticed the background in this picture. Is that snow?

Comment

Minnesota snow.

Comment

Originally posted by Teacherman View Post

This precisely the reason I asked the question below. My answer is A: Significantly less than 50%.

All Makea had to do was flick the wrists. The hand engine does not contribute significant force into the swing because the bulk of force comes from what is embodied in uppercut drill demonstrated above. In his take, Makea has already released more that 50%, ie. the majority of the force in what he was capable. The hands do not have significant mass compared to the body that they cannot possibly impart an exceeding degree let alone a force equal to the torsos. But the hands are highly capable of generating velocity. What SnF accomplishes is that it links a velocity generator to the power package of the torso in a highly integrated system.

By the way, I still contend that Makea's SCIP axis has already aligned his hand set. His axis is already prepped in such a way that his hands were ready to "flick" at a good ball that may have struck high in the zone.

Originally posted by Al Oha View Post

If one were to evaluate the magnitude of the hand engine, what percentage of "energy" or "force" would be required to complete Makea's swing in the decision to strike the ball?

A. Significantly less than 50%.
          B. About 50%
          C. Significantly more than 50%
          D. It will vary.
          E. Don't know.
          As I have to come to understand the hand engine more intimately, I concede that the mechanism between the scapula, elbow and top hand may not be a bell crank. Teach has been absolutely correct about this below. I have had tremendous curiosity about this link between the hands and SCIP axis in figuring out an "off the shelf model" for a transmission component.

Last edited by Al Oha; 04-01-2013, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Allistair View Post

Off Topic here, but I just noticed the background in this picture. Is that snow?
            Alli, we still have snow. It's opening day and the only ones playing outside in Minnesota are the Twins! (Target field has a system that keeps the grass at a certain temp during the cooler months) The kids won't likely get on the local fields for another 3 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by lynnelles View Post
              Alli, we still have snow. It's opening day and the only ones playing outside in Minnesota are the Twins! (Target field has a system that keeps the grass at a certain temp during the cooler months) The kids won't likely get on the local fields for another 3 weeks.
              My 7 year old son has his first game tonight at 6:00 here in Des Moines. It's 36 degrees and windy right now....I am taking the over on how many boys cry after hitting the ball.

Comment

As you watch the kid's upper cut swing....and the George Brett swing....it's important to notice the relationship between the torso and the rear leg. It gets to where the fused torso, through the rear hip socket, is balanced over the rear leg during the pull backs. Only with fusion and balance and pull backs can the torso act as a system. You'll feel the leg/hip project forward.

If you're not fused so that the movement is only in the hip socket....you'll move/twist/leak throughout the torso.

IMO, concentrating on creating the SCIP....and then rotation around the SCIP really helps.

Comment

As you watch the kid's upper cut swing....and the George Brett swing....it's important to notice the relationship between the torso and the rear leg. It gets to where the fused torso, through the rear hip socket, is balanced over the rear leg during the pull backs. Only with fusion and balance and pull backs can the torso act as a system. You'll feel the leg/hip project forward.

If you're not fused so that the movement is only in the hip socket....you'll move/twist/leak throughout the torso.

IMO, concentrating on creating the SCIP....and then rotation around the SCIP really helps.
                  When a "coil of a coil" gets released you get a dimensional release at two levels within the same axis since both coils have their origin in the rear leg. The leg becomes the driver in the genesis of a compound whip in SnF.

See Post #4: http://hittingillustrated.com/forum/...drive-and-more

Originally posted by Al Oha View Post

When the ruler is twisted, say a half turn, a primary coil is set. These may be represented by the coiling in the rear hip socket and initial pull backs in the rear scapula during the load [SCIP formation]. Further coiling occurs in the overlap creating a secondary coil [Coil around the SCIP]. The ruler "shortens" as a arc forms. A "coil of the coil" if you will, develops when further pull back, scap pinching and lateral tilt ensue until such a time the hands release for the swivel at the top of the assembly.

When the fellow above releases the top hand, the bottom hand maintains the assembly's stability in the way the base of a catapult holds as its load above gets launched. The bottom hand is the rear leg that directs and controls the stored momentum into the direction of the launch of that load.

I might also add that I believe the lateral tilt is the product of a dynamic process created by active "coiling of the coil", rather than one consciously produced to simply get the elbow through during the uptick.

See Post #5: http://hittingillustrated.com/forum/...ing-Mini-Pronk

...Matt is sliding forward then pivoting and it's after some weight has shifted.
                  If I may add to what Teach may be suggesting...

It appears that Matt's lateral tilt is a passive bend towards the pitcher, hence a shift, rather than a penetrating rag wring that grabs the fascia, the "white stuff" that attaches the muscle to bone (lats to the rear pelvic bone) in the lowest portion of the back in the creation of optimal lateral tilt.
                  Last edited by Al Oha; 04-01-2013, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X