Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

It's Over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe that it's a form of this that has to occur. But not quite like this.

You must tilt that move on it's side a bit and do it from behind the corner. And this is the final load. The vicious hands can't be vicious if a form of this doesn't finish the loading. If you don't have a form of this happening, you push. When you push, your belly button doesn't fly open.

Remember me calling about the reverse grip. I see a form of the above starting things but not fully committing launch.

Comment

Here is Brandon at his best.....Summer of '07.....after we had a few practices after he returned from college.

Quite a ways away from PCR.
      Deep into the Second Engine.

But still.....a strong belly button turn.

Remember.....we had no idea what SnF was at this time.

Comment

Now back to this....

On the left and right.....his belly button turns say 30-45 degrees.....slows/pauses.....then goes.

Why does his belly button not fire immediately?

THAT is the question.

Comment

The answer is he's unloading what he last loaded.

His hands.

While there is movement in the hips first....because the pull backs have installed a spring in the hip socket....it is a weak spring on the left and right.

It has just enough to open....slowly....TO CREATE A PATH FOR THE HANDS....for them to unload first. And the momentum of the hand unload turns the belly button to it's completion.

In other words....his leg is not driving the torso to completion. It's turning it partially....and the hands/arms take over. He is doing a GREAT job of turning the barrel....but his leg/hip is not finishing the job....it is not driving it to completion.

And.....NO, powy......the lead side has NOTHING to do with this.

Here is the answer to the long-winded question/story.....

Brandon's torso is not fused....and his hip socket is not the thing unloading at go. The hip socket MUST be the first thing to unload. It MUST drive fully, all in, to completion. No pause. No delay. Get there......NOW.

Then, because of the torso's sudden turn to completion, is the 'wrist flick' sufficient. The torso drives so hard out of the SnF unload that the wrist flick is really all you can do. But if it's drive isn't that hard.....you have to recruit from somewhere to help.

In Brandon's case, his torso is not fused because the rear hip was not the last thing loaded. The last thing that is loaded will unload. And his hand/arm movement is loading his hands/arms. It is not loading his hip socket. At least not anywhere near like it needs to. So his hip unload is partial....it just creates room for the hand unload....and after the hands pass through their momentum finishes the turn.

Comment

For you that are not into the theory....here is the teach.

By feel.....(video may show slight variations)

1) You must be onelegged.
            2) You can not fall forward off the barstool because of forward momentum.
            3) You must be back around the ball of the femur.
            4) You must have a fused torso....such that....the turning in the hip socket IS THE ONLY MOVEMENT....by feel.
            5) You must have a fused torso....such that....the sudden turning in the hip socket, that results from the SnF unload, turns (or can turn) the entire torso 90 degrees......NOW.
            6) Your barrel turn must be BEHIND that....not along side. A no brainer if the SnF is strong.
            7) Your belly button turn must be so fast and so complete that it is impossible for the hands to pass it up.
            8) If your belly button does not face the pitcher.....NOW....you either are not SnF'ing.....or.....your torso is not fused into a unit.
            9) The feeling must be.....that your torso is a box. A unit. A fused box unit. With the lower rear corner of the box sitting on the ball of the femur.
            10) Any movement of the ball of the femur....MUST TURN THE ENTIRE BOX. It doesn't bend/twist. The entire torso moves or it doesn't.
            11) Any loading or pulling back of the hip/back/scap must pull back the entire box.
            12) You fuse your lower torso by sticking your butt out....arch of the back....lumbar lordosis.
            13) You fuse your upper torso by only allowing the triangle turn and lateral tilt.

This is a very wordy explanation.

It is simpler than this.

I am working on a demonstration.

In short....the discovery was two things.....

1) You must have a fused torso for the SnF unload to turn the belly button 90 degrees.
            2) That energy to turn the belly button must be full and complete.... and NOW....even if pitch location limits it.

Comment

Let me ask a dumb question. Why in the middle clip I feel like Brandon drives out a little with his ass? I got somewhat obsessed with the drive forward must result in the knee moving forward, not staying stacked. However I haven't pinned down the muscle that does it. What I do know is if you maintain the internally rotated leg and do this you get a little click back which just be the final load.

Comment

Brandon does a small forward by coil move.

Nothing wrong with forward by coil.

But two things must be there.

1) The rear hip socket must stay on the barstool.
                2) The rear hip socket must get 'around' to the range of motion limit.

Those boys at the other site miss both of those.

They push forward first.

That limits their load around and it pushes them off the barstool.

Comment

redwil,

Do you remember, in Myrtle Beach, when the kids first turned their belly buttons? After a little coaching they did great.

Do you then remember, when the live ball started coming at them, that I caught everyone of them turning partially.....not completely?

THAT IS SO TYPICAL.

If the belly button does get turned completely.....you have a power outage.

You will recruit the arms when you experience a power outage. When you turn 30-45 degrees only you are in trouble.

Comment

When you are standing there in the box thinking "unload the hands....unload the hands"....IMO....you are likely to be in trouble.....if you can not feel, BEFORE IT ACTUALLY HAPPENS, that that action will unload the hip socket with great sudden force.

If you're thinking "unload the hands....unload the hands"....and can not feel the hip socket getting tighter......and you can not feel that sudden SnF launch of the belly button......you are not fused.

Comment

Can you feel, as you watch the clips, that Brandon is thinking hands on the left and right....but thinking 'hip' in the middle?

It affects how he loads....what he loads....and then how he unloads.

Can you feel the redirect?

Comment

Let me ask this.

Tying back to PCR days. We are or should have a fused upper torso except now the upper is from the hip socket up. The visual separation that the PCR lite types (O'Leary) say with hips lead the shoulders is of course not possible with what they teach.

I was talking about the last thing to load in the other post. If the hip is the last thing to load, I was guessing that some internal even if not visible is the click back, and the click back helps to fire the hip socket.

Comment

In the Lynnelle thread...."Just Another Monday....Or Was It"

Her first big step forward came when I asked her to turn her belly button 90 degrees as quickly as she could.

We had talked in the morning. I drove to work. We resumed our talk when I got to work. I remember asking her....."why all the arm movement?"

I asked her to fuse it up. When she fused her torso into a unit and turned her belly button completely.....shazam.

She wasn't SnF'ing at that moment....but she had a power pack. And it takes a power pack to have a chance at believing in a wrist flick.

Before the day was over she said something about "all I did was just swivel my hands". And I thought....yes, that's all you do.

Comment

Here is that link....

http://hittingillustrated.com/forum/...another+monday

Comment

Originally posted by Pronk View Post
                              Let me ask this.

Tying back to PCR days. We are or should have a fused upper torso except now the upper is from the hip socket up. The visual separation that the PCR lite types (O'Leary) say with hips lead the shoulders is of course not possible with what they teach.

I was talking about the last thing to load in the other post. If the hip is the last thing to load, I was guessing that some internal even if not visible is the click back, and the click back helps to fire the hip socket.
                              If you will remember, PCR didn't believe in separation. In my trip to Houston that was a major point of interest of mine. Separation made so much sense to me....I had to find out Englishbey's explanation of it. TomG and Swingbuster were all over it at the time.....preaching it's benefit. Englishbey said 'it just happens'....you don't 'do' it. While I was still on board when I left Houston, I was not at all satisfied with his explanation of something I could see in clips.

You may not remember but the PCR crowd always had a problem with Brandon's lead leg. I forget what they called it....but basically....without us knowing what it was at the time.....Brandon was one-legged....and probably was separating in the hip socket....but we didn't know what that was at the time.

And....I would consider the click back the final loading of the hip socket. It is a late, final pull back as you start to move out.

Comment

Back to the topic.....does your torso swivel about the ball of the femur?

Does your torso turn as a unit?....over/around the ball of the femur.

ONLY a fused torso....balanced OVER the ball of the femur....can be sudden.

Leaning so that balance over the ball of the femur is compromised slows you down tremendously. It widens your radius. It puts stress on muscles to find balance....when they should be working to turn you.

Comment

Working...
                                X