Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

Today's Tidbit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's Tidbit

Had a chance to work with my oldest son, Brad, tonight.

He was off to college when Brandon and I went through our trial and error experience. He works for Boeing, coaches football, just got married, yada yada yada. Busy kid.

Between at bats in a game he will ask me questions.....of course....right when what I have to say to him will make little sense..........although you might recall when I said 'pull back with the top hand' just before an at bat and he hit a HR.

Anyway, we have not seriously hit together since our PCR days until tonight.

The first thing I did was show him the SOOO GOOD video. Talked to him about out from, SnF, hip socket etc etc. He did pretty good....but not until we threw the bat....yes, we literally threw the bat into a net....did he come to understand launch and spend.

The first time he threw the bat, he was standing about 5' from the Jugs net....he cut loose....missed the net....and the bat was on course for the neighbors bay window....when it fell about 2-3 ft short. Whew.

HE MISSED THE NET

He did real good with the spend part.....he spent. But he did very poorly with the launch part.

HE DID NOT UPTICK FOR LAUNCH.

He pushed/pulled forward THEN launched. It was still pretty sudden. But not the real deal. He was using his arms. How do I know he was using his arms?

BECAUSE HE MISSED THE NET THAT WAS 5' IN FRONT OF HIM.

The swing direction could only happen as a result of a pulling lead arm...with late release. IF he was using his hands.....early....the bat has to go into the net.

AND....it should go end over end vertically....or very near vertically. His first throw took off spinning horizontally. His later throws were vertical/diagonal into the net.

After a talk....he used his hands....and for the first time in his life he learned what hands/forearms ONLY means....and he learned what sudden is.

Folks, the greatest challenge hitters have is catching up to good pitching speed. Yet, hitters continually try to use batspeed instead of swing quickness to catch up.

YOU MUST COMMIT TO SWING QUICKNESS

FLICK THAT BARREL.........NOW

Anyway....my main point is this....to swing out from.....you've got to flick it. You've got to throw it....without throwing it. You've got to get it over before you're getting it over now. You must sell out to quickness....not speed. It must be hands only. The arms will take you 'around'. Only the hands can take the bat out from. Only UPTICK can take the bat out from.

Finally....what is the end of the swing....from an energy production standpoint? The end of the swing is the 90 degrees or so that you turn the barrel from it's launch point to flat.

The swing is over here....

You can whine all you want.

The taking of the bat from tip to flat....is the complete swing.....from a 'what you do' perspective.

Of course, you do that from a SnF position....so more is going on AT THE SAME TIME. But THAT.....the uptick.....is all you do.

That is exactly what Kemp is doing.

MKemp's swing is over here....

Comment

The taking of the bat from tip to flat....is the complete swing.....from a 'what you do' perspective.

This takes me back in time. I used to tell Mini this a lot back when he was 12/13. It happens so fast.......or at least it better.

If you use your shoulders you cannot do it fast. Turn the barrel.
      "Tip it and rip it" - In Memory of Dmac
      "Hit the inside seam" - In Memory of Swingbuster

Comment

Old school bat throws...been many moons since I did these...

Are you focusing on the oppo direction and making sure the orientation of the bat spinning is diagonal/vertical?

Comment

Yes

Yes

And sudden.

Before anything else moves.

The body's movement is a result of the throw....it is a burst of the stretch.....not a momentum providing prerequisite to the throw.

The throw is simply turning the barrel flat....with the hands/wrists/forearms. ONLY.

Hip socket separation.
          Lower back pull back.
          Scap pinch/clamp.
          Top hand pulling back.

All against a leg trying to internally rotate.

Hold the position.

Keep pulling back even though nothing is moving.

Keep pulling back.

Stretch it.

Turn the barrel flat.....suddenly. Release it. Vertical end over end.

THEN the body moves.

Comment

Originally posted by Teacherman View Post
            Yes

Hip socket separation.
            Lower back pull back.
            Scap pinch/clamp.
            Top hand pulling back.

with the rear leg trying to turn forward/win....stalemate?

basically the attack oppo drill .. bat throw version?

Comment

This clip has never been more appropriate.

If you are stretched, what minially does, causes what I am doing.

So.....after stretching it.....to launch it.....ALL YOU DO.....is UPTICK.

Comment

Of course.

I edited the post to include the leg.

Without the leg's action there is no stretch.

Comment

All of this....

Is launched by this....

....2 frames of uptick.

Comment

If uptick doesn't launch your swing.....you have stretch problems.

Attack them.

Comment

99% of kids hold the bat with their arms...and therefore swing with the arms. Yes, it is in their hands.....but completely supported/moved/controlled with their arms.

You MUST hold the bat with the hands....support it....control it....launch it....with the hands.

Cut your hands off at the wrist.
                      Cut your arms off at the shoulder.
                      Attach your hands at your armpit/shouldertip.

Now.....SnF and Uptick.

That is what you do to swing.

However, to hit.....you need those arms to lengthen....or pull in....or lower....or raise.....to align barrel to ball. But 99% of kids can't do that with their arms because their arms are pulling/pushing the bat to generate force.

Force comes from SnF and Uptick.
                      Adjustments come from the arms. A little out here. A little in there. A little up here. A little down there. All without interfering with the SnF/Uptick power generation.

And the adjustments come AFTER the uptick.

If the arms are generating force they do a very poor job of adjusting. You have very little, if any, adjustability with an arm powered swing.

Comment

as usual I have a stupid question. I am a visual person so I am a little confused.

If I throw the bat after uptick wouldn't the bat go straight into the ground, top end first? If you fling it forward in a vertical fashion towards the pitcher or out after the uptick or flattening aren't you going to over rotate the forearms/wrists?

I saw your post in the email thread from the father about his kids doing this. Just a little confused on the actual throw part.

Comment

Actually, this is a great question.

IF we JUST upticked....and didn't allow any turn in our rear hip....you are correct. If we JUST used our forearms the barrel would go straight down into the ground toward the catcher.

But if you have a SnF load in your rear hip, you can't uptick and NOT get turned forward immediately. Which changes the path drastically. Adding the shoulder lateral tilt and the SnF unload, you get turned forward. The tilt changes the direction of the release.

Without lateral tilt....level shoulders....uptick would send it right back at the catchers feet.

With lateral tilt....tilted shoulders....the uptick is now forward....a release would send it toward home plate.

Add in the turn you get from the hip and I think an appropriate direction is a low end over end (vertical) launch toward your target. (oppo, middle, pull field)

Comment

Thanks. We'll try.

Comment

Stand real close to the net.

Comment

Working...
                              X